Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abnormal Psychology TECEP: How to Study
This is my first post on the forum. 
I am signed up for my first TECEPS. I have never tested out of any class. I was not aware of study.com or a few other websites when I signed up. 

I am hoping to take the Abnormal Psych within the next few days. I am going to sign up for Study.com and watch the videos, take the quizzes, and the practice test. I have taken Intro to Psych and do remember some. I have been going over the Quizlets on the subject and learned about different disorders, in particular information about depression and bipolar disorders. I've written down the things I don't know and have been reviewing them. 

If I do study.com and study the DSM, do you think this will be enough to pass the test? I don't have a book and I can't leave the house for the next few days. But I do have the next few days to just study. 

Also is there a good online source to learn the DSM? 

Thank-you in advance! This is a wonderful forum. I have learned a lot the past few days about testing and different ways to earn credit after discovering it.
Its been awhile since I have taken a TECEPs and Abnormal Pysch was not one of them, but generally it is best to use the study guide and the book it references.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(09-09-2018, 12:39 PM)ajs1976a Wrote: Its been awhile since I have taken a TECEPs and Abnormal Pysch was not one of them, but generally it is best to use the study guide and the book it references.

Thank-you! I appreciate the response.
I wouldn't really study the DSM. It could be a little bit helpful, but I would suggest using a book instead. I think that most abnormal psych textbooks would be fine. If you google "open source abnormal psych", you can find some open source online textbooks.

Follow the breakdown in the PDF about the exam, so that you spend more of your time on the parts that have more questions. I think their PDF also has at least one or two open source links.

(09-09-2018, 04:18 PM)Ideas Wrote: I wouldn't really study the DSM. It could be a little bit helpful, but I would suggest using a book instead. I think that most abnormal psych textbooks would be fine. If you google "open source abnormal psych", you can find some open source online textbooks.

Follow the breakdown in the PDF about the exam, so that you spend more of your time on the parts that have more questions. I think their PDF also has at least one or two open source links.
Thank-you very much! Very helpful!
[-] The following 1 user Likes duranmonique828@gmail.com's post:
  • Ideas
(09-09-2018, 11:17 AM)duranmonique828@gmail.com Wrote: This is my first post on the forum. 
I am signed up for my first TECEPS. I have never tested out of any class. I was not aware of study.com or a few other websites when I signed up. 

I am hoping to take the Abnormal Psych within the next few days. I am going to sign up for Study.com and watch the videos, take the quizzes, and the practice test. I have taken Intro to Psych and do remember some. I have been going over the Quizlets on the subject and learned about different disorders, in particular information about depression and bipolar disorders. I've written down the things I don't know and have been reviewing them. 

If I do study.com and study the DSM, do you think this will be enough to pass the test? I don't have a book and I can't leave the house for the next few days. But I do have the next few days to just study. 

Also is there a good online source to learn the DSM? 

Thank-you in advance! This is a wonderful forum. I have learned a lot the past few days about testing and different ways to earn credit after discovering it.

It's been 4 years since I took it, but it heavily relied on readings/info from the assigned book.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Use the first attempt to write down the questions with the piece of scratch paper they allow you to have, use that sheet of paper to study for the second attempt.
I was a fool and didn't write down anything during my first attempt and I failed the second attempt with an even worse score.

I used the Abnormal Psychology TECEP preparation course on study.com before my second attempt and it was utterly worthless.
You can read the textbooks they suggest to you but you need to have photographic memory of the suggested texts to have a chance at succeeding at this test.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MoppyPuppy's post:
  • jsh1138
You could sign up for study.com’s 39$ package to study for Abnormal Psychology. You cannot take their exams, but can access the study material. I have completed this course on study.com, and it is very good. The DSM is more of a reference manual, given that you already know a bit about mental disorders and their symptoms. It might be far too voluminous and confusing to be used as an exam study material.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Study.com's TECEP course did not prepare me for this, unfortunately. Failed with a 55% score. The only silver lining is that at least I'm enrolled in TESU now for the 2019A catalog.  Dodgy
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
I passed this TECEP, along with the other TECEPS I took, on the first attempt. TECEPs tend to be very book specific. Get all of the recommended reading materials. Read them thoroughly, Go over chapter summaries. Try to find the book on audio and listen to it if you can. I actually used a tool to convert the digital books to audio. It was very robotic sounding but it worked. Use the online tools associated with the book i.e. crosswords, quizzes, etc. That should get you a high enough score to pass.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • CarpeDiem8

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 610 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 161 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 431 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 919 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 266 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,586 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 865 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 337 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 217 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TECEP Marketing Communications Avidreader 2 373 11-14-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Avidreader