Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About to get a B
I seem to score well on all of my exams for property management and leasing, but with written assignments, there are no examples. I feel that I have covered every topic in the rubric, yet the teacher is deducting points in a way that makes no sense to me. I have received comments such as, "I feel your work is one dimensional and could have covered more dimensions". This really doesn't tell me anything. The fact that her lazy self only has 6 students in the course, I would think she could provide more detailed answers.

What would you do with an opinion grader?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I think I would say that I didn't know what "more dimensions" meant, and ask for a specific example of where you're one-dimensional, and what you could do to improve the answer and give more dimension to it.

BTW, I think that teacher is a moron!! What I would REALLY like to say and what I would actually say are two different things, but I feel your pain! A "teacher" actually teaches, and she has taught you absolutely nothing with a nonsensical answer like that. If she wants you to do something, she needs to show you what she means!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:A "teacher" actually teaches, and she has taught you absolutely nothing with a nonsensical answer like that.
On the flip-side, it is also the professor's duty to evaluate work, which is distinct from teaching. Without any context (i.e. the actual material being graded), I wouldn't necessarily say that her response was nonsensical. Whether or not it is warranted or accurate is another matter. One dimensional in this context simply means the essay is "lacking depth" - that is a pretty clear evaluation. So, the next step, is to evaluate your written work and determine if you are possibly writing responses that are technically accurate but appear as regurgitation, rather than further elaboration demonstrating you can form opinions on the topics, theories, and ideas you are writing about.

videogamesrock Wrote:What would you do with an opinion grader?
In fairness, it is often the graders opinion of the quality of your work that helps determine the grade. It would be a different matter if they are reducing your grade because of positions or opinions that you put forth.
I wish examples would have been provided.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
If your writing is superficial, and you don't know what depth looks like, ask the professor. Ask her what depth looks like. Ask her if there are generic questions you can ask yourself as you write to elicit depth in your writing, and not just more writing. (In other words, how can you analyze versus simply writing down more facts.) Be very specific in your questions, and see if she's willing to provide you with a copy of a paper that received an "A."

As a concrete thinking, I share your longing for examples. They may or may not assist you. If you can't take the step back from seeing the example in one situation, and applying the concepts of depth to a different situation, you may continue as a "B" student. Also, I think "lacks depth" may be a superficial analysis. What does SHE mean by "lacks depth?"
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I've asked her for examples but she doesn't seem to respond. I'm just very disappointed in taking this class.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
Outis Wrote:...One dimensional in this context simply means the essay is "lacking depth" ...

Why? I don't see anything in the OP that suggests that. "One-dimensional" is not synonymous with "lacking depth". You can write "deeply" on one dimension of something or write "shallowly" on multiple dimensions of the same topic. An example of the first would be a thesis on the genetic aspects of mental illness that never addresses the environmental aspects. An example of the second would be every Dummies-style book.
The assignment was to write a 1-2 sentence description on 5 property features and appeal to the customers emotion. I chose to focus on luxuries and appealing to your guests envy. The teacher said that was too one dimensional. From my experience in leasing that is what people choose. Her opinion was that this is too one dimensional. I'm really bummed by the grade.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
Hmm. Let me get this straight. You wrote one or two sentences on five features (ocean view, concierge, etc.) on a residence describing each item in a manner that showed the luxuriousness of that item. Was she expecting one or two sentences on a luxury feature (say an ocean view) that elicited feelings of envy, and then one or two sentences on, say, a practical feature (such as a security system), and expect you to appeal to a buyer's wish for security (as opposed to making it sound like a luxury item)? In other words, you'd write about five features and direct the writing toward five different emotions.

If that's not it, maybe she wanted you to be more... sensual in your description of, say, the luxury item. Make it come more alive. As I'm a poor writer, but maybe she was thinking along the lines of, "Each evening you'll overlook the twinkling lights of the city. Our floor to ceiling windows make the City a welcome guest whether your wish to quietly ponder the day or entertain your friends."

Maybe she wanted you to think about what folks who might pay for luxury also associated with luxury -exclusivity, protection, etc. - and not simply envy and write with those aspects of the features in mind, too.

Would you be willing to supply us with one of your answers? Maybe that might help us along. Also, while Outis has a point, it's a sad world when an educator just evaluations cannot be clarified to assist a student to grow.

FFMs (fellow forum members), do you think I've made valid points? If so, then the professor was deficient and superficial in her evaluation of your writing. "Superficial" can cover a multitude of deficiencies and lacks specificity.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
videogamesrock Wrote:The assignment was to write a 1-2 sentence description on 5 property features and appeal to the customers emotion. I chose to focus on luxuries and appealing to your guests envy. The teacher said that was too one dimensional. From my experience in leasing that is what people choose. Her opinion was that this is too one dimensional. I'm really bummed by the grade.

Wow. 1 to 2 SENTENCES!? :ack: Yeah, I'd basically demand to see what she considers multidimensional lol. Just getting to all 5 features sounds like it would fill up 2 sentences lol.