Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Absolute cheapest online JD program?
Taft University and National University (JFK Law School) show up on the Title IV lists but I am not sure about the law schools. I think a couple of the Cal Bar accredited schools do to like LaVerne. However they all have work arounds and I believe private student loans are available.

For LLB, Buckingham and University of London are on the Title IV list as may be someother English LLB granting universities. The LLBs can be taken online. However best to carefully study the process to actually get a practising certificate first.
St. Francis School of Law, an online Calbar school, recently became a division of Baker College and became eligible for Title IV.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • resistk
(03-13-2023, 09:40 AM)jsd Wrote: NWCU Law is only $3,900/year and is CalBar accredited (though no regional or institutional accreditation)

American International School of Law is probably the absolute cheapest at $2,975 first year, $2,075 years 2-4. But they are not CalBar accredited so you'd have to take the baby bar (and honestly their website doesn't give me much confidence in the school).

Keep in mind if you're planning to practice outside of California, you really need to do your research because these California online law programs (including Concord and ALU) have very little utility outside of the state.
I need to get a JD or LLB so to teach undergraduate Law students. I should in other words hold a common law degree as I currently hold civil law degree and doctoral degree in Law (acquired in Australia). So both study courses addressed above (NWSU and the other one which is cheaper) are offered online? I do not plan to practice. Only for teaching purposes it is required to get a common law degree (LLB or JD). For which one I should apply?
(10-20-2023, 07:22 PM)nkout1983 Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 09:40 AM)jsd Wrote: NWCU Law is only $3,900/year and is CalBar accredited (though no regional or institutional accreditation)

American International School of Law is probably the absolute cheapest at $2,975 first year, $2,075 years 2-4. But they are not CalBar accredited so you'd have to take the baby bar (and honestly their website doesn't give me much confidence in the school).

Keep in mind if you're planning to practice outside of California, you really need to do your research because these California online law programs (including Concord and ALU) have very little utility outside of the state.
I need to get a JD or LLB so to teach undergraduate Law students. I should in other words hold a common law degree as I currently hold civil law degree and doctoral degree in Law (acquired in Australia). So both study courses addressed above (NWSU and the other one which is cheaper) are offered online? I do not plan to practice. Only for teaching purposes it is required to get a common law degree (LLB or JD). For which one I should apply?

Where would you be planning on teaching?   Those online non ABA law degrees would only be good for teaching legal studies and not at a law school in the USA., the lack of a bar license would be frowned upon in the US. If you have an Australian PhD in law, instead of spending 3-4 years on an online JD you might consider a  1 year LLM in US law (so called bar prep course for foreign degree holders).  Here's an example of a one year online LLM:

https://graduate.law.tamu.edu/master-laws

Australia is a common law country, if you a have a PhD in law from Australia why wouldn't it be recognized as sufficient?
(10-21-2023, 07:09 PM)resistk Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 07:22 PM)nkout1983 Wrote:

Where would you be planning on teaching?   Those online non ABA law degrees would only be good for teaching legal studies and not at a law school in the USA., the lack of a bar license would be frowned upon in the US. If you have an Australian PhD in law, instead of spending 3-4 years on an online JD you might consider a  1 year LLM in US law (so called bar prep course for foreign degree holders).  Here's an example of a one year online LLM:

https://graduate.law.tamu.edu/master-laws
Thanks a lot. I plan to teach in Australia. Thanks for the recommendation as well. However, pursuant to TEQSA (the Australian framework of teaching assessment) it is required for someone with no law degree (non-common law degree) to get either a JD or LLB. Therefore, an LLM would not be compliant with. Either of these JD study courses might be of help eventually?
So... Not many people need a LLM as that's actually a Masters (higher level degree than the LLB or JD), if you already have a Civil Law degree and a doctoral degree in Law, are you not able to teach at any institution with those credentials already? What's missing? It's interesting you're going a little backwards... Does your Civil Law and Doctoral degree in Law not have similar or some of the same courses in a Common Law degree?

Can't you teach the subjects that may overlap between the two degrees? Here's an example of why I am asking, say someone has a Masters in Math degree and have a PhD in Math, they would have subjects such as Calculus and Statistics, and whatever else. If that person wants to teach, they'll be able to teach at a college for Math up to the Bachelors or Masters level... I'm still a bit confused on what you're missing and what you're trying to teach...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • smile23
(10-21-2023, 07:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So... Not many people need a LLM as that's actually a Masters (higher level degree than the LLB or JD), if you already have a Civil Law degree and a doctoral degree in Law, are you not able to teach at any institution with those credentials already? What's missing? It's interesting you're going a little backwards... Does your Civil Law and Doctoral degree in Law not have similar or some of the same courses in a Common Law degree?  

Can't you teach the subjects that may overlap between the two degrees?  Here's an example of why I am asking, say someone has a Masters in Math degree and have a PhD in Math, they would have subjects such as Calculus and Statistics, and whatever else.  If that person wants to teach, they'll be able to teach at a college for Math up to the Bachelors or Masters level... I'm still a bit confused on what you're missing and what you're trying to teach...
I understand that it's reasonable not to understand how it works. Hence I should clarify few things. I am eligible to teach postgraduate students and supervised students in the discipline of Law. Yet, I am not eligible to teach law core units such as constitutional law, equity, evidence etc. I hold The doctoral degree in Law (which is my second one, the first in political science) is linked to a civil law topic which was also considered in the Australian context (interdisciplinary approach). I know...my case is specific  Big Grin. So a JD or LLB is required so to be then "entitled" to teach law core units. Recommendations?
(10-22-2023, 05:19 AM)nkout1983 Wrote:
(10-21-2023, 07:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So... Not many people need a LLM as that's actually a Masters (higher level degree than the LLB or JD), if you already have a Civil Law degree and a doctoral degree in Law, are you not able to teach at any institution with those credentials already? What's missing? It's interesting you're going a little backwards... Does your Civil Law and Doctoral degree in Law not have similar or some of the same courses in a Common Law degree?  

Can't you teach the subjects that may overlap between the two degrees?  Here's an example of why I am asking, say someone has a Masters in Math degree and have a PhD in Math, they would have subjects such as Calculus and Statistics, and whatever else.  If that person wants to teach, they'll be able to teach at a college for Math up to the Bachelors or Masters level... I'm still a bit confused on what you're missing and what you're trying to teach...
I understand that it's reasonable not to understand how it works. Hence I should clarify few things. I am eligible to teach postgraduate students and supervised students in the discipline of Law. Yet, I am not eligible to teach law core units such as constitutional law, equity, evidence etc. I hold The doctoral degree in Law (which is my second one, the first in political science) is linked to a civil law topic which was also considered in the Australian context (interdisciplinary approach). I know...my case is specific  Big Grin. So a JD or LLB is required so to be then "entitled" to teach law core units. Recommendations?

Get an Australian or New Zealand LLB online that makes the most sense since you are in Australia.  I know there are online Australian law degree providers.
(10-22-2023, 07:37 PM)resistk Wrote:
(10-22-2023, 05:19 AM)nkout1983 Wrote:

Get an Australian or New Zealand LLB online that makes the most sense since you are in Australia.  I know there are online Australian law degree providers.
Indeed. That should be the option. ?
In regards to the two institutions AISOL, NWCUL, neither of them have RA, NA or NA faith-based accreditation, NWCUL has recognition in California, so it's state-approved at best. AISOL and many other distance/online based law schools are not accredited, and some don't even have recognition in California. I would go through a list of institutions that hit the accreditation, budget, recognition, but most importantly, usability - if it's not usable anywhere else but California, you're not eligible to teach anywhere but in that state. Here are multiple WIKI's...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la...ted_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_school...ted_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_educ...ted_States
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing the Right PhD Program Education / Hospitality (online) Frost87b3 5 210 04-24-2024, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Frost87b3
  Any suggestion for online DBA doyouhowdo1 28 1,655 04-23-2024, 02:35 AM
Last Post: armado
  Comptency based Doctor of Science program Randomkud1234 5 321 04-20-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Most Affordable Online PhD in CompSci or Cybersecurity wiresandscreens 34 3,559 02-16-2024, 03:31 AM
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 4,300 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 1,015 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 586 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
  Looking for 2 year DBA online Bob Sham 42 7,388 01-04-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Johann1
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 581 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  ABA Considers Accrediting Exclusively Online Law Schools Jonathan Whatley 1 481 12-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ashkir