Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accounting DBA / Global Business Recommendation
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Everyone here is so knowledgeable so I'm hoping to get some advice. Any and all advice is welcome, feel free to go off the beaten path if necessary.

I'd like to get an Accounting PhD/DBA. I'm in my late 30s, have an accounting undergrad degree and in-process joint MBA/MAccounting (both with greater than 3.5 GPA) slated to graduate in Spring 2023. I currently work as an accountant in a major multinational bank. I'd like to get a doctorate so I can work a full time job, then teach night school at a local university. I would also be fine going for a full time accounting faculty position at a university, although I'm not sure I'd be a competitive candidate considering I'm not in my twenties anymore. I'm looking at approximately a 50K USD budget for my doctorate including tuition reimbursement from my employer, although if the economy dips that reimbursement may decrease so lower is absolutely better.  

Ideally, I would like a fully remote/asynchronous experience; my schedule is unpredictable and I can't always carve out regular time for a class. I might be able to clear space for an in-campus visit few days once or twice a year, but even that would be pushing it. To be clear, my expectation is to work while studying, and to complete the degree within 3 years. I've been looking at the below universities and I'd appreciate some opinions:

1. University of Jacksonville: Their DBA-Accounting & Finance program looks exactly like what I want; it's remote, AACSB accreditation, and I've been considering moving to Orlando so a doctorate from a nearby school would be amazing. The one thing that stops me is that their cost is listed as $100K. That is really difficult for me to justify - it would be a lot of money I would have to borrow at high interest rates. What do people think?
2. West Virginia University: DBA-Accounting program looks great, it's more reasonable at 63K, AACSB accreditation. What do people think about this program?
3. Liberty University - DBA-Accounting is much cheaper at 35K, but I'm concerned if my degree would be considered reputable especially for a university that can be politically charged. 
4. South College - DBA with Accounting concentration. It's much cheaper at 6K per 6months, but doesn't have AACSB/ACBSP accreditation. Could I get teaching positions with a degree from this school?

Ideally I want an Accounting doctorate, but costs-wise I don't know if the cheaper DBAs will get me a teaching position. My secondary interest is in international business/economics/accounting. If I can't get an Accounting doctorate with a good possibility of getting a professorship, I'd like to get a doctorate in international business. I was looking at the North Carolina - Greensboro DBA with a concentration in international business, but it's slated to take 5 years instead of 3. Can anyone suggest a good, moderate-cost DBA in international business?

Thanks for any opinions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SomeRandomAccountant's post:
  • Imbanewbie
If you haven’t already, look at Marshall University. AACSB accredited, accounting concentration, 3 years. Cheaper than Jacksonville and WVU when last I checked.

Also, Florida Atlantic “Executive” PhD in Business Admin, can do accounting and finance concentrations.  Sticker price is $80k but PhD>DBA.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(11-02-2022, 09:33 PM)SomeRandomAccountant Wrote: Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Everyone here is so knowledgeable so I'm hoping to get some advice. Any and all advice is welcome, feel free to go off the beaten path if necessary.

I'd like to get an Accounting PhD/DBA. I'm in my late 30s, have an accounting undergrad degree and in-process joint MBA/MAccounting (both with greater than 3.5 GPA) slated to graduate in Spring 2023. I currently work as an accountant in a major multinational bank. I'd like to get a doctorate so I can work a full time job, then teach night school at a local university. I would also be fine going for a full time accounting faculty position at a university, although I'm not sure I'd be a competitive candidate considering I'm not in my twenties anymore. I'm looking at approximately a 50K USD budget for my doctorate including tuition reimbursement from my employer, although if the economy dips that reimbursement may decrease so lower is absolutely better.  

Ideally, I would like a fully remote/asynchronous experience; my schedule is unpredictable and I can't always carve out regular time for a class. I might be able to clear space for an in-campus visit few days once or twice a year, but even that would be pushing it. To be clear, my expectation is to work while studying, and to complete the degree within 3 years. I've been looking at the below universities and I'd appreciate some opinions:

1. University of Jacksonville: Their DBA-Accounting & Finance program looks exactly like what I want; it's remote, AACSB accreditation, and I've been considering moving to Orlando so a doctorate from a nearby school would be amazing. The one thing that stops me is that their cost is listed as $100K. That is really difficult for me to justify - it would be a lot of money I would have to borrow at high interest rates. What do people think?
2. West Virginia University: DBA-Accounting program looks great, it's more reasonable at 63K, AACSB accreditation. What do people think about this program?
3. Liberty University - DBA-Accounting is much cheaper at 35K, but I'm concerned if my degree would be considered reputable especially for a university that can be politically charged. 
4. South College - DBA with Accounting concentration. It's much cheaper at 6K per 6months, but doesn't have AACSB/ACBSP accreditation. Could I get teaching positions with a degree from this school?

Ideally I want an Accounting doctorate, but costs-wise I don't know if the cheaper DBAs will get me a teaching position. My secondary interest is in international business/economics/accounting. If I can't get an Accounting doctorate with a good possibility of getting a professorship, I'd like to get a doctorate in international business. I was looking at the North Carolina - Greensboro DBA with a concentration in international business, but it's slated to take 5 years instead of 3. Can anyone suggest a good, moderate-cost DBA in international business?

Thanks for any opinions.

If you are okay with not entirely distance, there is a PhD in Business if you end up going that route that I know of in Germany which only requires a couple of "in-presence" things per year and is US AACSB accredited.

The required classes in previous years have been held on Zoom and are concentrated into a couple weeks - they are designed for working folks, only the summer event and colloquia are in person. You can confirm this with them though. Since the offset between ET and CET is six hours, a class that is e.g. 9am to 12pm ends up being outside of American work hours.

Tuition is 5,000 a year, 15,000 for three years so the cost of travelling for the in-person events each summer still makes it cheaper than many US-based AACSB programs for a normal 3-year PhD at a respectable university (60th across all the European countries incl. UK, Top 5 inside Germany). They place reasonably well for academic jobs too, with alumni working in the world top 100 universities.

Faculty and Research tab at the top shows the various research areas covered. Includes accounting, finance, a center for research on financial reporting and disclosure, etc.
I am currently in the WVU DBA program. Overall, it's decent. If you take a look at the list of faculty, it's clearly much stronger than Jacksonville University. I was admitted to University of Pittsburgh's program but it's too expensive. As to FAU's executive PhD, it will be treated the same in the academic community, even though PhD does sound better. In the end, publication is the key. 

The WVU program is heavily structured around research and curriculum does not include overviews of other fields. If you take a look at other programs, there are a lot of overview of organizational behavior, etc. At WVU, the very first class, students start to work on research proposal and the faculty members are very supportive (weekly meeting with advisor, etc.)

MBS was discussed before. The tuition is 27,000 Euro. However, if you factor in the tuition assistance that you could use with a US program, difference not substantial.
https://www.montpellier-bs.com/internati...online-en/
(11-02-2022, 10:27 PM)sarahmac Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 09:33 PM)SomeRandomAccountant Wrote: Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Everyone here is so knowledgeable so I'm hoping to get some advice. Any and all advice is welcome, feel free to go off the beaten path if necessary.

Thanks for any opinions.

If you are okay with not entirely distance, there is a PhD in Business if you end up going that route that I know of in Germany which only requires a couple of "in-presence" things per year and is US AACSB accredited.

The required classes in previous years have been held on Zoom and are concentrated into a couple weeks - they are designed for working folks, only the summer event and colloquia are in person. You can confirm this with them though. Since the offset between ET and CET is six hours, a class that is e.g. 9am to 12pm ends up being outside of American work hours.

Tuition is 5,000 a year, 15,000 for three years so the cost of travelling for the in-person events each summer still makes it cheaper than many US-based AACSB programs for a normal 3-year PhD at a respectable university (60th across all the European countries incl. UK, Top 5 inside Germany). They place reasonably well for academic jobs too, with alumni working in the world top 100 universities.

Faculty and Research tab at the top shows the various research areas covered. Includes accounting, finance, a center for research on financial reporting and disclosure, etc.

If you want a Linkedin/trophy degree then HHL is probably it. But if you want a DBA usable in the work/labor market and not liabel for degree fraud id avoid HHL. It is not accredited by state, and cant find a license from Bundesamt. I tryed to search them on; https://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/study...rmany.html
..got 0 hit's. Best to avoid it.
Thoe if you are interested in Dr from Germany read the guide; https://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/docto...udies.html
(01-28-2023, 08:31 AM)Harry101 Wrote: [quote='sarahmac' pid='381174' dateline='1667446047']

If you want a Linkedin/trophy degree then HHL is probably it. But if you want a DBA usable in the work/labor market and not liabel for degree fraud id avoid HHL. It is not accredited by state, and cant find a license from Bundesamt. I tryed to search them on; https://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/study...rmany.html
Thoe if you are interested in Dr from Germany read the guide; https://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/docto...udies.html

You gotta use the doctorate tab...
https://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/docto...z%5D=04109

And it's also on AACSB Member roster, as they claimed: https://www.aacsb.edu/accredited/h/hhl-l...management
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silvious's post:
  • Harry101
(01-30-2023, 01:30 PM)Silvious Wrote:
(01-28-2023, 08:31 AM)Harry101 Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 10:27 PM)sarahmac Wrote: If you want a Linkedin/trophy degree then HHL is probably it. But if you want a DBA usable in the work/labor market and not liabel for degree fraud id avoid HHL. It is not accredited by state, and cant find a license from Bundesamt. I tryed to search them on; https://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/study...rmany.html

You gotta use the doctorate tab...
https://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/docto...z%5D=04109

And it's also on AACSB Member roster, as they claimed: https://www.aacsb.edu/accredited/h/hhl-l...management
Thank you, you are correct. I probably forgot to switch for DBA when i was looking/browsing hochschulkompass. An error on my part. I was made aware of it when i was looking into accredited MBAs, that HHL is indeed listed in https://antrag.akkreditierungsrat.de and said degree programs are accredited in Germany.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DBA from Prague University of Economics and Business, 15k Euro durain 6 808 03-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue Global (PUG) EdD in Leadership and Innovation walruspanda 16 1,035 03-01-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  International Business Academy of Scandinavia DBA adrian052 4 522 01-10-2024, 05:48 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Spain Inter-University Doctoral Programme in Business & Management durain 3 757 11-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  PhD - Swiss School of Business Research? michaeladsmith2 15 2,187 10-23-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Has anyone tried esneca business school? aquickquestion 8 1,725 10-06-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  ESC Clermont Business School DBA durain 9 1,648 08-02-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: durain
  Montpellier Business School Online DBA, AACSB durain 14 3,430 06-14-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: durain
  recommended doctoral programs in Executive/Business Coaching EducationSeeker 6 1,546 01-11-2022, 10:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  low tuition DBA/PhD. program business in USA Sulkiahha 5 3,320 01-18-2020, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Sulkiahha