Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accounting MyPath Questions
Hi, I'm thinking of heading to UMPI's accounting program and I was wondering how intensive it is, I would have 16 classes to do, how many do you think I could get done in a session? I heard the classes are mostly essays, is that true? Because I have horrible testing anxiety.
(05-17-2021, 03:31 PM)Nadiv10 Wrote: Hi, I'm thinking of heading to UMPI's accounting program and I was wondering how intensive it is, I would have 16 classes to do, how many do you think I could get done in a session? I heard the classes are mostly essays, is that true? Because I have horrible testing anxiety.

The program is called YourPace. Chances are you will need at least 2 terms. Every course isn't offered every term but they are offered every semester. I don't see anyone complete 16 courses in 8 weeks anyway. Not with the Final Assessments and course content you have to get through. The Final Assessments aren't essays. They're a mix of papers, projects, and exams. The papers are not essays. The length varies for each class and professor. Some classes are a 5-7 page paper and others are a 15-20 page paper. About a quarter the courses offered by UMPI have an exam as the Final Assessment.
(05-17-2021, 03:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 03:31 PM)Nadiv10 Wrote: Hi, I'm thinking of heading to UMPI's accounting program and I was wondering how intensive it is, I would have 16 classes to do, how many do you think I could get done in a session? I heard the classes are mostly essays, is that true? Because I have horrible testing anxiety.

The program is called YourPace. Chances are you will need at least 2 terms. Every course isn't offered every term but they are offered every semester. I don't see anyone complete 16 courses in 8 weeks anyway. Not with the Final Assessments and course content you have to get through. The Final Assessments aren't essays. They're a mix of papers, projects, and exams. The papers are not essays. The length varies for each class and professor. Some classes are a 5-7 page paper and others are a 15-20 page paper. About a quarter the courses offered by UMPI have an exam as the Final Assessment.
Thanks for letting me know, I don't plan on getting the classes done in one session, I was just wondering how many classes people managed to get done per session, so see if there was a trend. I like writing papers, and the length isn't bad at all. 
25% exams is better than 90% for me.
(05-17-2021, 04:23 PM)Nadiv10 Wrote: Thanks for letting me know, I don't plan on getting the classes done in one session, I was just wondering how many classes people managed to get done per session, so see if there was a trend. I like writing papers, and the length isn't bad at all. 

I completed 4, 8, and 4 courses in my 3 terms. I was pretty busy with life and taking Sophia courses during my first term. Some people complete 10 classes in a term. It all depends on the person, how much time they have to dedicate, and their previous experience with the subject.
(05-17-2021, 04:25 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 04:23 PM)Nadiv10 Wrote: Thanks for letting me know, I don't plan on getting the classes done in one session, I was just wondering how many classes people managed to get done per session, so see if there was a trend. I like writing papers, and the length isn't bad at all. 

I completed 4, 8, and 4 courses in my 3 terms. I was pretty busy with life and taking Sophia courses during my first term. Some people complete 10 classes in a term. It all depends on the person, how much time they have to dedicate, and their previous experience with the subject.
Sounds doable, I expected three to four sessions. I grew up surrounded by accounting, pretty sure that's why I'm interested in it. Hopefully it'll go quickly, I can't wait to start working in the field.
(05-17-2021, 04:29 PM)ONadiv10 Wrote:

Sounds doable, I expected three to four sessions. I grew up surrounded by accounting, pretty sure that's why I'm interested in it. Hopefully it'll go quickly, I can't wait to start working in the field.
I have done multiple upper-level accounting classes at UMPI through YourPace. All of them had you do a project (as opposed to an exam) as the final.  There was some writing, but more “doing” accounting work. There was some challenging stuff, but nothing that I thought was unreasonable, and I definitely felt like I learned stuff from the final projects and was able to put together stuff that I had learned/solidified my learning. 

I have done 5 competencies in each of my last 2 active sessions. I work full time, have 2 young children, and a bunch of other commitments. I think finishing in 3-4 sessions is very realistic, assuming you take things seriously and put a reasonable amount of time into your studies. 

Do you have some prior coursework in accounting?  

If so, and assuming what you have learned before made sense and is still more or less  with you, you will be just fine and should have no trouble with that pace. 

If not, I would strongly recommend that you try to say least introduce yourself to the basic concepts of accounting—debits and credits, preparing journal entries, understanding the major accounting statements and their relationship to one another, that type thing, before you start your UMPI coursework. There are excellent resources for this, including plenty of free YouTube videos. Even if you have taken a course or two and kind of understand the basics, I would recommend you brush up on them.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-17-2021, 07:40 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 04:29 PM)ONadiv10 Wrote:

I have done multiple upper-level accounting classes at UMPI through YourPace. All of them had you do a project (as opposed to an exam) as the final.  There was some writing, but more “doing” accounting work. There was some challenging stuff, but nothing that I thought was unreasonable, and I definitely felt like I learned stuff from the final projects and was able to put together stuff that I had learned/solidified my learning. 

I have done 5 competencies in each of my last 2 active sessions. I work full time, have 2 young children, and a bunch of other commitments. I think finishing in 3-4 sessions is very realistic, assuming you take things seriously and put a reasonable amount of time into your studies. 

Do you have some prior coursework in accounting?  

If so, and assuming what you have learned before made sense and is still more or less  with you, you will be just fine and should have no trouble with that pace. 

If not, I would strongly recommend that you try to say least introduce yourself to the basic concepts of accounting—debits and credits, preparing journal entries, understanding the major accounting statements and their relationship to one another, that type thing, before you start your UMPI coursework. There are excellent resources for this, including plenty of free YouTube videos. Even if you have taken a course or two and kind of understand the basics, I would recommend you brush up on them.
Thanks, I have taken some business classes and my mother does accounting so I am familiar with a lot of the topics, but I'm definitely a newbie and will need to get more familiar with it. I have no children and am not working, so I have plenty of time on my hands to spend doing school work.

Are you wanting to get licensed to do accounting work?  Each state requires 150 total college credits to become a CPA.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-18-2021, 07:37 AM)LevelUP Wrote:

Are you wanting to get licensed to do accounting work?  Each state requires 150 total college credits to become a CPA.

It's something I want to pursue eventually, but not immediately.

I completed the BA in Accounting program.

1. The accounting courses require time commitment, more if you don't have accounting background experience.
2. Each accounting course involves a handful of milestones and then a final assessment project.
3. The final assessment project is the most time consuming element and it requires for you to apply critical thinking and actual accounting knowledge you have learned from the course.
4. Things will go smoother if you have experience with spreadsheets or take a Excel spreadsheet course because many of the accounting courses have some element of spreadsheets when creating financial statements. After all that's accounting.
5. Time to complete 16 courses, that's a difficult because everyone learns at a different pace and non-accounting courses are faster or at least in my experience. 
6. If you plan on getting a CPA license at some point (even in 5 years from now), make sure you have enough accounting credits, otherwise you will spend all this time and not have enough to take the CPA exam and you will need to go back to college for the remaining credits. The majority of states require 150 semester credits, usually, 24-30 in accounting and 20-24 in business. Overall point, plan it out now. Research your state CPA requirement.
7. The accounting professors are fantastic.
8. If you plan on getting a MACC at some point, the University usually requires a core group of undergrad accounting courses unless the degree major is accounting (not minor).  Again, plan it out, even if its 5 years from now. Make sure you take the appropriate accounting courses.

Good luck.
[-] The following 3 users Like HogwartsSchool's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, JannikT, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What accounting classes require exams or paper? I have 11 classes left Sarajane 7 396 04-20-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Sarajane
  Questions regarding international admissions. kjhkjh2001 11 567 03-19-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: ishady
  Questions about course selection beikaRAY 2 223 03-01-2024, 12:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS PM - Changing Major - Questions Gijaodola 6 557 02-26-2024, 05:51 PM
Smile BAS UMPI Degree Planning Questions Chimera 6 652 02-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Transfer credit help needed - UMPI for BA in Accounting Sarajane 15 1,842 02-06-2024, 07:12 PM
  Advanced Accounting anthony3070 1 322 01-25-2024, 12:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  radicallena - UMPI Questions radicallena 14 2,070 01-04-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Accounting 301: Applied Managerial Accounting FM1 13 1,073 12-19-2023, 09:18 PM
  Advanced accounting anthony3070 0 347 12-15-2023, 06:35 AM
Last Post: anthony3070