Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adult Learner starting new
Hello,

Looking to do get a simple/inexpensive degree for my own personal accomplishment. Would like to do it online and cheaply. No previous college experience. 
From what I've read I can use Sophia and CLEP exams. COSC's website just says to Gen ED studies required, but which ones? Does it matter? Just looking for to put a plan in place.
COSC may not be the best choice for you if you don't already have 24 or more RA credits from another college or university. This costs approximately $1200 to $2000 depending on your credit source(s). Once you add in COSC fees, it's actually cheaper to go to UMPI!

https://umpi.edu/yourpace

COSC: Requires 24 RA credits + capstone & cornerstone + science-with-a-lab. They also don't accept as many alt credits as other schools. They require 30 UL credits, something that can be difficult to obtain due to how few alternate credit sources they now accept.

UMPI: Requires science-with-a-lab (Study.com's Biology 101L is the easiest way to meet this requirement) & 3 credits of a foreign language (easiest for people who are not fluent is probably InstantCert's Spanish). Most of the remaining gen ed (GEC) requirements can be met through Sophia courses. They require 30 residency credits, but their YourPace program is competency based. You are allowed to complete as many classes as are available during that term and that you are able to finish. Depending on how long it takes you to do each class, you can be finished in 2-3 terms (4-6 months). TOTAL cost can be as low as $3000.

The downside for some people is that most UMPI class assessments are actually papers. Not everyone wants to write papers, though they do seem to be relatively easy papers for the most part.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
COSC grad that started from scratch here. I used to highly recommend COSC when Thomas Edison State (TESU) was the more popular one on the forum. But I agree with my colleague, rachel83az.

I no longer recommend COSC for anyone starting from scratch. The reason being, they changed several policies in the last two years becoming far stricter in what they accept for credit, and now require 24 credits minimum from regionally accredited colleges before allowing you to graduate with only two classes from COSC.

University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI) is now what I recommend for people with no college credits. They are far more accepting of "alternative credits".

(Continued) As far as Gen Ed credits go. There are a few differences in requirements from college to college, but in general it's more or less the same spread of stuff. 

For UMPI that would be

1. Effective Written & Oral Communication
English Comp I
English Comp II
(written or oral com elective)
(written or oral com elective)

2. Critical & Creative Thinking 
(Four slots that different things could fill like Intro to Psych, comparative religion etc)

3. Quantitative & Scientific Reasoning 
(Four slots where you fill in College Algebra, one science with lab, an additional science and then another math most likely)

4. Information Literacy 
(Two slots. You need an intro to philosophy or ancient greek philosophers or something like that. Then some kind of information literacy class. Some classes are literally titled that.)

5. Global Consciousness & Intercultural Awareness 
(Four slots here. You fill this up with like US History I and II, Western Civ, comparative religion class, comparative government class, American government class. A lot of different stuff could fill it.)

So no matter what college you go to, they'll all want something like 24 credits spread out across those fields. Sometimes in different proportions. 
In general, if you took most of the Sophia classes it would generally knock out almost all the Gen Ed requirements at most colleges (so long as the college would accept Sophia for credit.) Usually plus some free electives.

This message board can help you find all the classes you need to fill anything you're missing to maximize what you transfer into the college of your choice with, whether it be TESU, UMPI, Excelsior, WGU, Purdue University Global or some other option (there are a few more choices out there.) 

If you decide on a college and degree, we can help you put together a degree plan so you know exactly what to take, where to get it, and how much it is. If you can't decide, board members can model several different degree plans that might help you decide. We generally lean toward the path of least resistance around here!
Thank you both for saving me time and money! I have kids that I sent to college and I feel like I need to do this for myself. I'll start knocking out the Gen Ed classes now and check back with you all.
I agree with taking the bulk of your lower level courses through CLEP/MS or at Sophia.org, you need to create an action plan after you have decided on the degree/school of choice.  If you haven't decided yet, just take courses that can go towards COSC/UMPI or whichever school you're looking at as well. Here's a wiki guide Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-06-2021, 05:12 PM)Cole22 Wrote: Thank you both for saving me time and money! I have kids that I sent to college and I feel like I need to do this for myself. I'll start knocking out the Gen Ed classes now and check back with you all.

A lot of people don't recommend taking English Comp I and II (or public speaking) through Sophia. They take FOREVER to grade them. 

Most people recommend Study.com for those. 
Personally, I did my Eng Comp I and II through Straighterline. Later on, to see what the platform was like, I did them over again through Arizona State University's Universal Learner platform (they title them Eng 101 and Eng 102) back when they were "on sale" for $99. ASU UL classes are $425 now.
I also did ASU's Intro to Human Communication. It was very doable for me and oddly required no actual recorded speeches.
Out of the two I had experience, I preferred ASU because they were self-graded. I have no experience with Study.com's English or speech classes.
Your mileage and budget may vary.

I did a lot of Sophia classes and found them very doable and enjoyable. Learning was fun. Straighterline...eh... learning was not so much fun there. The Study.com classes I've taken were somewhere in the middle.
I find that I retain more knowledge when learning is fun.
If you're going to go to UMPI, do NOT do English Comp anywhere else! It's much easier and faster to do it at UMPI. Plus, alumni have stated that those classes are a good introduction to how UMPI essays work.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210