Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on BS CIS Degree plan
I'm doing the BSBA CIS OPM double major. I have only a few courses left.

If you want some free, easy, and cheap credits, you should check out the Google Professional certs on Coursera. Idk what's your background, but my background is IT and business, so I blasted through these certs in 1-2 days each (Project Management and Data Analytics were harder). It knocked off a bunch of courses for me as electives and even in the specialization. I can't remember how many courses at the moment, but it was well worth it. You don't pay for the Coursera subscription if you complete the course within 7 days. Plus, you can add those certs as badges to your Credly or LinkedIn if you care for the extra flair (Chocthkie's might).

IT Support
Cybersecurity
Data Analytics
Project Management

If you check the ACE database, you'll see the most recent evaluation for what each cert is worth. Also, reference the DegreeForum wiki regarding the certs.

Of course, it's worth confirming with TESU advising what a course will evaluate as, if you're not sure or paranoid that something won't transfer, but I have not had any problems thus far. Generally, the info in the wiki is pretty accurate, unless you see an exceedingly outdated article.

For LL courses, I did a couple CLEPs and half a dozen courses with StraighterLine and the CSM course. SL was very easy to use and from what I see much less intensive than Study.com. Not to mention there are open book exams with SL which you can pick to suit your desired course layout. I just challenged all the quizzes and exams, passed on the first attempt; six courses done in two weeks.

The UL courses need to be done through SDC or another provider, as SL primarily only provides lower level. I have no complaints with SDC, just that I found SL to be easier and faster to navigate and complete. To save money, finish all your courses at one provider as fast as possible, then move to the next one. For SDC, get the cheapest subscription to learn all your course material and prep, then upgrade to the more expensive subscription to pass the proctored exams and get ACE credit.

Don't forget to get sufficient RA credits and/or do the residency waiver at TESU.

Ottomh that's about it. Good luck. It's easy when you get grinding and you can finish the entire degree within a year, no sweat.
(01-10-2024, 12:27 AM)jazzcat Wrote: If you want some free, easy, and cheap credits, you should check out the Google Professional certs on Coursera. Idk what's your background, but my background is IT and business, so I blasted through these certs in 1-2 days each (Project Management and Data Analytics were harder). It knocked off a bunch of courses for me as electives and even in the specialization. I can't remember how many courses at the moment, but it was well worth it. You don't pay for the Coursera subscription if you complete the course within 7 days. Plus, you can add those certs as badges to your Credly or LinkedIn if you care for the extra flair (Chocthkie's might).

IT Support
Cybersecurity
Data Analytics
Project Management
I second this. I did the Google Data Analytics cert and was able to transfer 6 credits to the CIS area of study for free.
In Progress: TESU BSBA Accounting, BS CIS, AS Computer Science, Cert Organizational Leadership
@OP - You can do the BACS/BS CIS double degree, in addition to that, you can add certificates and experience by doing the trifecta I mention in many posts including the linked threads... You can take the certs mentioned and it provides some experience and credits towards the degree, thus making a double degree cheaper, easier, and probably faster to complete...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-11-2024, 12:36 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP - You can do the BACS/BS CIS double degree, in addition to that, you can add certificates and experience by doing the trifecta I mention in many posts including the linked threads... You can take the certs mentioned and it provides some experience and credits towards the degree, thus making a double degree cheaper, easier, and probably faster to complete...

1. apply to TESU
2. pay for the Medical Terminology TECEP
3. send all credits to TESU
4. send TESU transcript to school you actually want to attend (i.e. TAMUC)

Do you have to actually complete the Medical Terminology TECEP before sending the transcript (I'm assuming this is a yes but double checking)?
A.A.S. Business - Columbia Southern University
B.S. Business Administration, Information Technology - Columbia Southern University
M.B.A. Mangement - California Coast University
M.S. Information Systems - Minot State University
(01-12-2024, 02:57 PM)bornsupercharged Wrote: 1. apply to TESU

That's what DegreeForum lore calls "credit washing." It usually doesn't work, because the intended final destination school, such as TAMUC, usually requires a transcript from the original source of each course.
(01-12-2024, 03:29 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 02:57 PM)bornsupercharged Wrote: 1. apply to TESU

That's what DegreeForum lore calls "credit washing." It usually doesn't work, because the intended final destination school, such as TAMUC, usually requires a transcript from the original source of each course.

Ah, interesting, I was basing it off this quote from another thread:
"apply to TESU, pay for the Medical Terminology TECEP, send all credits to TESU, then send them to TAMUC once evaluated. $50 application @ TESU. $52 for the TECEP. I think a TESU transcript is $15? "

So this actually does NOT work in practice?
A.A.S. Business - Columbia Southern University
B.S. Business Administration, Information Technology - Columbia Southern University
M.B.A. Mangement - California Coast University
M.S. Information Systems - Minot State University
(01-12-2024, 03:30 PM)bornsupercharged Wrote: That's what DegreeForum lore calls "credit washing." It usually doesn't work, because the intended final destination school, such as TAMUC, usually requires a transcript from the original source of each course.

Ah, interesting, I was basing it off this quote from another thread:
"apply to TESU, pay for the Medical Terminology TECEP, send all credits to TESU, then send them to TAMUC once evaluated. $50 application @ TESU. $52 for the TECEP. I think a TESU transcript is $15? "

So this actually does NOT work in practice?

Not in general. In the thread you mention, it looks like someone on staff at TAMUC proposed it in 2022 to an individual potential student seeking to bring in alt credit that TAMUC wasn't used to dealing with at the time.
@bornsupercharged, All institutions want the credits/transcripts from the original sources... You really need to indicate what you're trying to do right now. Sending all transcripts of completed classes is what you need for TAMUC, TESU, or whatever institution you're going to finish with. You rarely send transcripts from one college to the other unless the class is completed at that institution... The thread linked above seems to be what Jonathan Whatley mentioned, TAMUC didn't know they were alternative credits and had a hard time deciphering it...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 3 40 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 50 5,239 Yesterday, 09:25 AM
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 13 739 Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 256 04-25-2024, 10:10 AM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 636 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 567 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Need some advice tpell1219 17 851 03-31-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 420 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 391 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 348 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM