Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on Transferring Sophia Courses
Can anyone recommend a transfer friendly university for Sophia credits? I am having real difficulty transferring Sophia courses. I understand they are not regionally accredited, just ACE and DEAC. For this reason, I have applied exclusively to Sophia partner universities. 
I chose specific courses listed at Sophia's website as accepted for transfer on each of their four respective partners' Sophia pages. I have 90 credit hours with Sophia including 27 hours to transfer into a business major. University of Arizona Global Campus, Indiana Wesleyan, Upper Iowa and Grand Canyon have all rejected some of my credits despite claiming to accept them on Sophia's website 
What kind of degree are you looking for? What's your budget? Which Sophia classes have you taken? We need more information to be of better help!

The options we usually recommend include TESU, UMPI, and WGU. But it depends on your goals and needs.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, SophiaPrincess
Thank you for your reply. Hoping for a bachelor's in business then an MBA.

My budget is tiny which is why I chose Sophia, $149 1st year, $599 2nd year. I do qualify for maximum Pell Grant. (I have a small businesses so my budget isn't as restricted now)

I have not applied at TESU because it isn't a Sophia partner. Do they accept Sophia credit? UMPI won't accept me because I am under 20 (19). I am uncertain about WGU's competency based model. Are you familiar with their method of pedagogy?
@SophiaPrincess, Excelsior is another option, they will take the max of 90 as you need 30 that are UL, TESU would take a max of ~100 as you need to have 18 that are upper level (depending on the degree). My suggestion now basically is to fill us in with more details so we can see an overall picture of your situation by following the template/last post addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
"Sophia partner" means nothing, as you've found out. We have a lot of information on the wiki about this sort of thing. Check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

UMPI would almost certainly be the cheapest option, assuming that you are able to write academic papers relatively quickly. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle, SophiaPrincess
TESU accepts credit from Sophia. Being a partner doesn't mean much. There are schools who are partners and only accept limited courses such as Colorado State University - Global (CSU Global). What degree do you want? How old are you? You mention that you're not 20 so UMPI is out, but if you're 19, then I would't dismiss UMPI so quickly. If you're 15, then your options are very limited.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
I'd like to thank those of you who are sharing their wisdom and experience. It speaks volumes that you have created a framework to better assist members of this forum.

During the pandemic I discovered Sophia via their $149/year promotion. I enjoy their asynchronous courses. If it matters, I've always maintained a 4.0 GPA.

My parents have been encouraging me to pursue a degree from a selective school. Unfortunately, it would appear that selective schools and ACE course acceptance are incongruent. I am not opposed to a selective school but I prefer not to start over from zero.

Your Location: Rural Indiana, near Louisville, KY

Your Age: 19, no UMPI, UVA etc.

What kind of degree do you want?:
Prefer Business but open to suggestions. MBA or law degree to follow.

Career goals: Uncertain

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 0

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

92 credit hours Sophia.
3 hour CSM course

Any certifications or military experience? No, but I am a member of the US Air Force Civil Air Patrol. Liberty offers a 25% First Responder discount. Some of the colleges I applied to offered me a $250 military rate but they didn't accept all my Sophia credits.

Budget: I am frugal by nature but my online business affords me a degree of financial flexibility. My time is more precious to me than money.

Commitments: I am the primary care giver for my disabled mother and younger siblings. I can't attend college in person at this time.

Dedicated time to study: 9+ hours per day year round, I never sleep.

Timeline: ASAP would be ideal. 

Tuition assistance/reimbursement
NA/Self employed

The frustrating thing about Sophia's partners is that I chose classes that they published would transfer and could reasonably be expected to fullfill distribution requirements.

I had considered Excelsior, but they recently eliminated the 50% discount for Pizza Hut employees. I was hoping to deliver a few pizzas part time to get the discount.

Does anyone have any experience with Sophia and Liberty?
[-] The following 1 user Likes SophiaPrincess's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-30-2023, 04:15 PM)SophiaPrincess Wrote: The frustrating thing about Sophia's partners is that I chose classes that they published would transfer and could reasonably be expected to fullfill distribution requirements.

I had considered Excelsior, but they recently eliminated the 50% discount for Pizza Hut employees. I was hoping to deliver a few pizzas part time to get the discount.

Does anyone have any experience with Sophia and Liberty?

TESU and Excelsior are great options - for someone with no credit outside of Sophia, Excelsior is the best plan.

UMPI might be a good option as well, if you are getting close to 20.  Did you JUST turn 19, or are you a couple of months from 20?  I say this because if you've been successful using Sophia, then a CBE model may be a really good fit.

Another option if you want to deliver pizza and get tuition paid for: Papa John's.  My daughter works there, and they pay 100% of the tuition there for her at Purdue Global (2 courses each 10-week term).  They pay up front, meaning you don't come out of pocket for anything (and no books to buy).  They also accept Sophia credits.  You need to take 30cr (45qcr - they're on the quarter system) there, and those will be graded, which is what you want for grad school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle, SophiaPrincess
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm deeply humbled by your kindness. I won't turn 20 till next winter. I'm the primary caregiver for my disabled mother and younger siblings. I can't attend UMPI in person. Do you think they might give me a waiver regarding my age. 

I appreciate the suggestion about Papa John's. I grew up in Jeffersonville Indiana near their first store. I don't really have time for a real job. A Pizza Hut manager was going to allow me to work a couple of nights a month to get the Excelsior discount.

Uncertain if my specific courses will help but here they are.

CSM Learn
CSM 3

Sophia
Ancient Greek Philosophers      3
Approaches to Studying Religions     3
Art History I                               3
Business Law        3
College Algebra        3
College Readiness       3
Conflict Resolution       3
Developing Effective Teams      1
English Composition I       3
Financial Accounting       3
Foundations of English Composition     3
Foundations of Statistics      2
Human Biology        3
Introduction to Business      3
Introduction to Chemistry Lab      1  
Introduction to Chemistry      3
College Mathematics     3
Introduction to Ethics       3
Information Technology     3
Psychology       3
Introduction to Sociology:  3
Introduction to Statistics      3
Macroeconomics       3
Microeconomics       3
Personal Finance       3
Principles of Finance       3
Principles of Management      3
Project Management       3
Spanish I        3
The Essentials of Managing Conflict     1
U.S. History I        3
Visual Communications       3
Workplace Communication      3

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate the advice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SophiaPrincess's post:
  • origamishuttle
You wouldn't attend UMPI in person. UMPI has an online CBE program. None of us have traveled to Maine. TESU is an option but you need 24 RA credits which aren't nearly as cheap as Sophia. If finances are something you are concerned about, it may be worth it to wait until it's closer to your birthday and apply at UMPI around when you turn 20. I haven't seen them grant any waives to their age policy. You are excellent shape to complete one of their BABA degrees. UMPI accepts all of these courses except the foundations courses. If you do qualify for the full amount of the Pell Grant, then UMPI would free to you!

I would take English Comp 2 and American Government as they will both transfer to UMPI. I believe American Government also transfers to TESU. I'm not sure about Eng Comp 2 and TESU. Someone else on here would know though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • SophiaPrincess

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,443 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,742 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,873 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,399 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 547 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,970 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet