Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advisor said no but transferred credits anyway...
So back in April, I got told by my advisor that Excelsior College wouldn't accept study.com PSY 106 abnormal psychology because it doesn't fulfill the major requirement. Here was my post back in April(https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Psychology).

I sent it anyway because I finished it already, and they did not add the course(reject?) to my transcript. However, I just finished my other study.com courses and accidentally sent this course again, and this time they added it to my transcript and brought my total credits to 113...
Very confusing...I hope nothing bad will happen when I graduate in the Fall...
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

Hopefully nothing will go wrong with this evaluation, having said that, essentially when you graduate they'll audit everything again to make sure you've hit all the boxes and requirements are fulfilled properly. Good luck! You're just 7 credits out and all 7 are Excelsior credits!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Something to keep in mind is that advisors don't decide what is acceptable when it comes to transferring credit. It's usually up to the Registrar's Office or a transfer office. In my experience, Excelsior's advisors aren't knowledgeable about much at all. The one I had couldn't even answer basic questions about the differences in the business bachelor's degrees. I got far more info on here!
I'm going to agree with ss20ts: the advisor doesn't get to decide, so if you send in a course and it's placed on your eval by the REGISTRAR, then that's who I would believe.

This is literally the only person at the school who understands the degrees and the transfer credits. This is the person with a whole lot of knowledge & power. This is the person you listen to.

Advisors, generally, not so much.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
One of the reasons I wasn't thrilled with Excelsior was the utter lack of *any* understanding of non traditional credit by their enrollment (sales) people coupledwith an utter unwillingness to get me to anyone competent.

But after sufficient badgering, and the comment that there's no way I'd even consider it unless I could get answers, they finally looped in someone highly competent in advising, who was lovely... and agreed with me after evaluating that TESU made more sense in my case.

I do suspect you just got one of the not-so-sharp ones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-22-2022, 10:03 PM)studyingfortests Wrote: One of the reasons I wasn't thrilled with Excelsior was the utter lack of *any* understanding of non traditional credit by their enrollment (sales) people coupled with  an utter unwillingness to get me to anyone competent.

But after sufficient badgering, and the comment that there's no way I'd even consider it unless I could get answers, they finally looped in someone highly competent in advising, who was lovely... and agreed with me after evaluating that TESU made more sense in my case.

I do suspect you just got one of the not-so-sharp ones.

My EC advisor has been pretty solid so far, but I also was coming in with a lot of xfer credits from traditional schools which I think is more the EC business model (based on their history).

Hopefully they keep it together till we can finish it off. and if they complete the change to university that is a plus as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 543 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,307 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  upper level business credits at EC MCJ 10 3,123 03-22-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: MCJ
  Transferring TEEX credits to Excelsior Loopsb 6 2,369 10-23-2021, 10:18 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  EC Wants Me To Do 34 Credits Despite Having 100+ Credits Kal Di 20 4,592 07-20-2021, 04:07 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  CSM Course now accepted at Excelsior for 3 credits of Quantitative Reasoning CSMlearn 5 1,714 03-03-2021, 06:06 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  Accepted UL credits from SDC adegree4me 12 3,053 02-21-2021, 08:28 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Upper Level Credits/DAU Courses sava60 15 3,646 12-30-2020, 12:07 PM
Last Post: oroseeo
  UL Arts and Sciences/Applied Professional Credits mrskitty 12 2,427 08-19-2020, 11:14 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Excelsior Upper Level Credits TwinMom 12 4,537 03-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Last Post: TwinMom