Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affordable community colleges or state univs for online CS courses?
Hello,

I am a prospective international student living outside the US and looking to take accredited Computer Science (CS) courses online via a community college or a state university in the coming term to get into an MS in CS.  I already have two degrees in another field but I don't have any credits in CS. 

Any recommendations for decent and affordable community colleges or state universities for online CS courses?

Thanks in advance.
Programming course from ASU:

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/introduction-...ng-cse-110

Microbachelors program from edx.org:

https://www.edx.org/microbachelors/nyux-...ndamentals

These will both run you $400-$500 so you may be able to find cheaper options through community colleges
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Just wondering what your undergrad and graduate degree was in? Was there a specific major or concentration/emphasis?
BTW, where exactly are you now and where did you get your degrees? I also would recommend the MOOC providers.
Generally any provider that co-operates with a recognized university, coursera, edx, futurelearn, udacity and upgrad...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-20-2020, 02:59 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering what your undergrad and graduate degree was in?  Was there a specific major or concentration/emphasis?  
BTW, where exactly are you now and where did you get your degrees?  I also would recommend the MOOC providers.
Generally any provider that co-operates with a recognized university, coursera, edx, futurelearn, udacity and upgrad...

Hi bjcheung77,

Thanks for your reply.

My two degrees were in economics (no minor or concentrations that would be relevant for CS) and I currently live in Europe. As far as I know MOOC courses are not accredited so they wouldn't mean much to OMSCS admissions committee. I reached out to them and they encouraged me to take a handful of accredited courses in CS.
That's correct, generally, the MOOC courses alone are for self-study and not for credit (people can use these for PLA/portfolio credit though).  

However, that being said, I mentioned the MOOCs provided by or in co-operation with a recognized university.  For example, the GT OMSCS you're looking to get into is actually a MOOC program provided in partnership with Udacity.  

Hence my answer to you pointing out to the major 5 players... And this is especially true if you're NOT in the USA, you can get them from partners all over the world, Australia, US, UK, etc.  You need a backup option just in case GT OMSCS doesn't accept you...

Again, coursera, edx, futurelearn, udacity, and upgrad are the 5 I'm referring to, do a search with google about their degree programs available, the majority of them are going to be in CS/IT or Business such as the MBA.  I've written about them several times...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 117 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 272 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,546 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,149 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 212 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,462 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,562 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,616 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden