Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age requirement to take UExcel or TECEP?
Hi, I'm feverishly working out a degree plan, and I wanted to find out if there's an age requirement for either the UExcel or TECEP exams. I'm working this out for my high schooler who's under the age of 18.

Thanks!
[-] The following 1 user Likes iothom's post:
  • thecontrarian
You need to be at least 18 to apply to TESU. The application process applies to both degrees and TECEPs. I'm not sure about UExcels but I don't think that there is a lower limit on them. Actual application to Excelsior is another matter.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • iothom
I don't think there's a minimum age to take UExcel exams, although I think at one time you had to be ~16 to enroll. I know you can't earn a degree there before high school graduation, but they do allow dual enrollment (high school aged kids getting college credit at the same time).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • iothom
(09-02-2021, 08:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know you can't earn a degree there before high school graduation, but they do allow dual enrollment (high school aged kids getting college credit at the same time).

The "find a way around dumb rules" part of me wonders if a motivated kid could drop out of school at 15 or 16, take the GED, and then qualify to enroll? Or, I suppose, find an approved home school curriculum, bust through it, and complete by 15-16.   Anyone have any idea?
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • iothom
(09-06-2021, 05:04 AM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 08:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know you can't earn a degree there before high school graduation, but they do allow dual enrollment (high school aged kids getting college credit at the same time).

The "find a way around dumb rules" part of me wonders if a motivated kid could drop out of school at 15 or 16, take the GED, and then qualify to enroll? Or, I suppose, find an approved home school curriculum, bust through it, and complete by 15-16.   Anyone have any idea?

Yes. It's possible. https://www.excelsior.edu/article/gradua...ement-2018 In 2018, they awarded a degree to a 12-year-old.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • iothom, jch, Pikachu
Thank you for your responses. I'm still trying to figure out how to get UL RA credits for my high schooler, but maybe I just have to wait until they're enrolled in their school to take those. I know that dual enrollment is also an option, but I like the idea of self-paced classes, which I don't think is possible through dual enrollment.
Most degrees from the Big 3 don't require the UL credit to be RA. In fact, we tend to discourage UL RA credits due to the cost. RA is (usually) for the LL credits and then fill in the UL credits with Study.com/Coopersmith/Davar, depending on school and degree.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Dorothy44, iothom, SteveFoerster
(09-06-2021, 11:31 PM)iothom Wrote: Thank you for your responses. I'm still trying to figure out how to get UL RA credits for my high schooler, but maybe I just have to wait until they're enrolled in their school to take those. I know that dual enrollment is also an option, but I like the idea of self-paced classes, which I don't think is possible through dual enrollment.

So, why do you need UL RA credits, rather than just LL RA credits? That's not required at TESU or COSC (and no RA credits are required at EC), so I'm not sure why you would put those parameters on yourself.

If you want self-paced LL RA credits for high-school ages, you can either do ASU's EA (?) program or TEL's courses which are transcribed on RA transcripts.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • iothom
I honestly thought that the UL credits needed to be RA. That's liberating. I'm also concerned with price. I think both ASU and TEL are $400 per 3 credit. I'm not sure, though. Instead of self-paced, I may do a local community college for those RA credits.
(09-07-2021, 07:59 PM)iothom Wrote: I honestly thought that the UL credits needed to be RA. That's liberating. I'm also concerned with price. I think both ASU and TEL are $400 per 3 credit. I'm not sure, though. Instead of self-paced, I may do a local community college for those RA credits.

ASU is $400/course; TEL is $67/cr, so around $200/course, but they have coupons, as well as a deal of some kind (possibly) that allows DE students to take them for ½ price through York (last time I heard). So that would be $100/course.
  • iothom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior is retiring UExcel exams! This month! dfrecore 24 5,795 03-17-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 616 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 163 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 434 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 920 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 268 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,588 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 869 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 338 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 219 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader