Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aleks Math Degree Plan Under 18
My daughter just turned 17. I think she is halfway done with her credits for an AA. Her plan was to go to transfer her credits next year to COSC. However, I noticed that ALEKS math courses are not accepted there. If all goes well, she would aim for a History BA eventually a year after that (late 2021 - mid-2022, give or take). However, this is dependent on moving out of country, too, which then she needs at least an AA. She would have done TESU, but will not meet the age requirement by next year. Isn't the age 20 or 21 to be admitted? What are options she can do for an AA that she can use her ALEKS math credits. She does not want to take another math course, math causes her an enormous amount of stress and pain. She had to take her ALEKS math course many times (and passed barely by the skin of her teeth)! It is on her ACE transcript, and if there is an online college (preferably Big 3 or close to that in costs) she can do that will accept that, she will be grateful. 

TIA
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
[-] The following 1 user Likes warriortaupou's post:
  • samiam
ALEKS haven't renewed their ACE contract. Please don't take their ACE credit courses until they renew their contract with ACE. Their contract expired during the last month.
She took them when they were ACE accredited, a couple of years ago. We did not know that some of the Big 3 would stop taking them, like COSC.
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
[-] The following 2 users Like warriortaupou's post:
  • nomaduser, samiam
https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions

Criteria for Admission:
In order to be admitted to the University, an applicant must:
- Possess a high school degree, GED, or a secondary home school diploma that meets the requirements of the applicant's state of residency, and
- Be 20 years of age or older, or 18 years or older and an active member of the United States military (not applicable to military spouses, dependents or relations).
- Individuals under 18 years of age will not be permitted to take courses or enroll in the University.

I think if you're 18, you can enroll with a waiver; also EC will let you enroll earlier. Both are expensive options though, they are WAY more than COSC for an AA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • samiam, warriortaupou
(09-14-2020, 09:46 AM)warriortaupou Wrote: She took them when they were ACE accredited, a couple of years ago. We did not know that some of the Big 3 would stop taking them, like COSC.

But the accreditation h as expired. Many schools will not accept expired ACE courses. We never know when a school will stop accepting credits from a provider until they announce it. It's usually a very short window after the announcement is made in which they are still acceptable.
I apparently do not understand then, the way it worked. In the past, we were led to believe that as long as the class was taken before the expiration of the ACE review, and it got on the ACE transcript, then those classes would be transferred to the colleges/universities that accept ACE (dependent on what they transfer in as, and as long as they took the classes). This means any one or all of my general ed courses will not be accepted if they expired after I had both ACE and the educational organization (SDC, SL, etc) certify them. But what do we know...it feels like throwing money down the drain and all for nothing, unless I can do like others and rush through courses in a few days to a couple of weeks - then immediately transfer. My mom was credit banking (is that the right term?) my courses until I was close to enough for an Associates.

ACE Transcript

College Algebra
ALEKS Corporation (McGraw Hill)
ALEK-0003 Course 07/15/2018

Ancient Greek Philosophers
SOPHIA Learning, LLC
SOPH-0027 Course 06/08/2020

Developing Effective Teams
SOPHIA Learning, LLC
SOPH-0021 Course 01/02/2018

Introduction to Ethics
SOPHIA Learning, LLC
SOPH-0020 Course 07/27/2020

Introduction to Psychology
SOPHIA Learning, LLC
SOPH-0003 Course 07/31/2020

Public Speaking
SOPHIA Learning, LLC
SOPH-0020 Course 08/12/2020 (PENDING ACE & Sophia Approval)

United States History I
StraighterLine
OOSL-0039 Course 05/29/2020

United States History II
StraighterLine
OOSL-0044 Course 03/09/2019

Western Civilization I
StraighterLine
OOSL-0040 Course 03/03/2019

Western Civilization II
StraighterLine
OOSL-0043 Course 03/10/2019

English 104: College Composition l
Study.com, LLC
SDCM-0057 Course 09/09/2019

Conferred AUG 2023 - AAS BOG, Business AoE, Pierpoint Community & Technical College

118 total RA & Alt credits from ONU, ASU, ACE (Aleks, SDC, SL, Sophia)

Applied in JAN 2024 to UMPI for MAR 2024 term (pending) | BA in HIS & POL SCI
[-] The following 1 user Likes samiam's post:
  • warriortaupou
(09-14-2020, 11:15 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 09:46 AM)warriortaupou Wrote: She took them when they were ACE accredited, a couple of years ago. We did not know that some of the Big 3 would stop taking them, like COSC.

But the accreditation h as expired. Many schools will not accept expired ACE courses. We never know when a school will stop accepting credits from a provider until they announce it. It's usually a very short window after the announcement is made in which they are still acceptable.

That's not usually how it works. If the course is taken and put on the ACE transcript before the course expires then it's perfectly valid. If you try to take and transcript a course after expiration, this is where you run into issues.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • samiam
(09-14-2020, 12:44 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

That's not usually how it works. If the course is taken and put on the ACE transcript before the course expires then it's perfectly valid. If you try to take and transcript a course after expiration, this is where you run into issues.

Thank you, this is what we (Mom and I) thought.

(09-14-2020, 10:10 AM)dfrecore Wrote: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions

Criteria for Admission:
- Possess a high school degree, GED, or a secondary home school diploma that meets the requirements of the applicant's state of residency, and
- Be 20 years of age or older, or 18 years or older and an active member of the United States military (not applicable to military spouses, dependents or relations).
- Individuals under 18 years of age will not be permitted to take courses or enroll in the University.

I think if you're 18, you can enroll with a waiver; also EC will let you enroll earlier.  Both are expensive options though, they are WAY more than COSC for an AA.

Thank you @dfrecore, I don't have RA credits (I think that means in a brick & mortar?). All of my courses have been online. I don't think I will be going into a college any time soon either because of the restrictions. So, I think TESU is out since I don't think I will qualify by next year for the 18 age with 24 RA. I am going to look into Excelsior (EC). Do you know if an updated degree plan is posted here? I think my Mom has the ones posted several years ago...if it hasn't changed I can look at the one we have. 
BTW, this thread my Mom posted.

Conferred AUG 2023 - AAS BOG, Business AoE, Pierpoint Community & Technical College

Like I said MANY schools don't accept them once they're expired. I did not say ALL. I have attended a school which does NOT accept expired ACE credits.

(09-14-2020, 01:01 PM)samiam Wrote:

(09-14-2020, 10:10 AM)dfrecore Wrote: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions

Criteria for Admission:

I think if you're 18, you can enroll with a waiver; also EC will let you enroll earlier.  Both are expensive options though, they are WAY more than COSC for an AA.

Thank you @dfrecore, I don't have RA credits (I think that means in a brick & mortar?). All of my courses have been online. I don't think I will be going into a college any time soon either because of the restrictions. So, I think TESU is out since I don't think I will qualify by next year for the 18 age with 24 RA. I am going to look into Excelsior (EC). Do you know if an updated degree plan is posted here? I think my Mom has the ones posted several years ago...if it hasn't changed I can look at the one we have. 

RA does not have to be a B&M college. Yes, community college courses count as RA. RA means regionally accredited. That means you take credit at a regionally accredited college which can be an online school or a B&M school. Many B&M schools are doing it all online this semester.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • samiam
(09-14-2020, 01:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Like I said MANY schools don't accept them once they're expired. I did not say ALL. I have attended a school which does NOT accept expired ACE credits.

(09-14-2020, 01:01 PM)samiam Wrote:

Criteria for Admission:

RA does not have to be a B&M college. Yes, community college courses count as RA. RA means regionally accredited. That means you take credit at a regionally accredited college which can be an online school or a B&M school. Many B&M schools are doing it all online this semester.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you happen to know of any online off the top of your head that aren't too expensive (yes, cheap please) at the moment.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 17 182 2 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 102 49 minutes ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 257 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 278 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 557 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower