Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I understanding this correctly about Shmoop and TESU?
I still think it would be good to keep pushing, gently. Shmoop doesn't seem ready to give up, and TESU did allow the courses for at least one person who didn't have them planned in. I'd take another step up the food chain, emphasizing how much work your son put into this. You might also take another crack at the application process now that graduation is close (assuming it is). explain he wants to start TESU this summer (even if he really doesn't).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The email was received from
Catharine A. Punchello-Cobos
Associate Vice President and University Registrar

Is there someone else I could write to?

My son has his graduation ceremony next weekend, but he is homeschooled and has finished all his credits. I'm not sure what technically makes him graduate high school. I have access to his transcript now.

What are the negatives of applying earlier to TESU than planned? I was thinking it was so he would have to take a class/TECEP exam through them yearly. I'm wondering if this changes everything and it would be better to apply if the 21 credits would be counted.
(05-11-2018, 10:05 AM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: The email was received from

My son has his graduation ceremony next weekend, but he is homeschooled and has finished all his credits.  I'm not sure what technically makes him graduate high school.  I have access to his transcript now.    

What are the negatives of applying earlier to TESU than planned?  I was thinking it was so he would have to take a class/TECEP exam through them yearly.  I'm wondering if this changes everything and it would be better to apply if the 21 credits would be counted.

Well, it's hard to go much higher than that for this sort of thing. I thought maybe you were still dealing with advising. Having to maintain enrollment is pretty much the only negative and you have a year from acceptance to take the first one. If you don't, then the worst that happens is you have to reapply. I was thinking that being student might get them to move on this, but now I think you might as well wait to see if Shmoop manages to get things straightened out. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to let Shmoop know you aren't happy with the situation.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(05-10-2018, 11:10 PM)coldseal Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 11:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 10:25 PM)jsd Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 10:01 PM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: We are reviewing our ACE/NCCRS credit transfer policies. All ACE/NCCRS recommendations are subject to TESU review.
I don't like where all of this is going.

That stood out to me as well.

I have a feeling the Big 3 may be changing to the Big 2 in a short amount of time...

Not what I want to hear, as I just started going with all of this with TESU, maybe I should start looking into one of the other two?

That is pretty worrisome to hear. I guess maybe we should all start getting everything pre approved.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(05-11-2018, 10:05 AM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: The email was received from

My son has his graduation ceremony next weekend, but he is homeschooled and has finished all his credits.  I'm not sure what technically makes him graduate high school.  I have access to his transcript now.    

What are the negatives of applying earlier to TESU than planned?  I was thinking it was so he would have to take a class/TECEP exam through them yearly.  I'm wondering if this changes everything and it would be better to apply if the 21 credits would be counted.

Isn't there an issue with your son being under 21 anyway?  I would think that this is a bigger issue than the Shmoop thing.  I thought that as of 1/1/18, they were being very strict on this?

If I were you, I would consider going to COSC instead.  There's not a lot of difference in cost (COSC's BA/BS is actually a few hundred dollars LESS than TESU's BA/BS), and he could easily get his AA along the way from COSC.  Then, if he wanted to switch to TESU for his BA/BS, they might be more willing to give him a waiver.

COSC's AA is a lot less than TESU's AA.  And you can coordinate the COSC AA to be able to transfer easily to a TESU BA/BS or stick with COSC for the BA/BS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I thought they were still allowing admission after 18 and high school diploma (although I may not be up on the latest as he wasn't planning on applying until he was a little closer to having all his credits).

Considering COSC for just an AA is an interesting thought. I hadn't thought of that before as he had planned to get the BSPS from TESU right off. Do you have a comparison of cost estimate if he would get an AA from COSC and then a BS at TESU vs. just a straight Bachelors at either one of those?
(05-11-2018, 01:10 PM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: I thought they were still allowing admission after 18 and high school diploma (although I may not be up on the latest as he wasn't planning on applying until he was a little closer to having all his credits).  

Considering COSC for just an AA is an interesting thought.  I hadn't thought of that before as he had planned to get the BSPS from TESU right off.  Do you have a comparison of cost estimate if he would get an AA from COSC and then a BS at TESU  vs. just a straight Bachelors at either one of those?

Admission before 21 has always required a waiver. They used to grant them at 16 if the student had enough college credits, but my understanding is that they tightened that up to 18, college credits, and a HS diploma.

Okay, thank you. That is what I was thinking--that he would have been eligible for a waiver to be admitted soon as he just turned 18, almost has a HS diploma, and has 40+ credits under his belt.

TESU said that they don't transfer a whole degree over. Instead they look at the transcript and break it down into individual courses to see what applies, so I don't think an AA degree at COSC would work any better.
(05-11-2018, 01:31 PM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: Okay, thank you.  That is what I was thinking--that he would have been eligible for a waiver to be admitted soon as he just turned 18, almost has a HS diploma, and has 40+ credits under his belt.

TESU said that they don't transfer a whole degree over.  Instead they look at the transcript and break it down into individual courses to see what applies, so I don't think an AA degree at COSC would work any better.

It's definitely 21, says so on the website.  I think they tightened up on that as of 1/1 this year as well.  Harder to get the waiver.  What I was thinking was that if you had an AA from COSC, that it might be easier to get the waiver, not that they would do a block transfer.

And, I would only even consider it if your son had a particular degree that he wanted from TESU that COSC didn't provide - otherwise, I'd just stick with COSC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My message:

I received the email regarding indefinite suspension of Shmoop courses on Friday. I am currently in the middle of the Shmoop Finite Math course. I did not request approval from advising for the course because, while the course could be used within my approved programs of study, I am not using it for that purpose. I am about to graduate with associate degrees in math and computer science and BSBAs in accounting and CIS. I have been taking extra math courses on the side to bolster my qualifications in these areas. This course is a part of these efforts.

So I am just requesting that I still be allowed to finish this course and submit it to TESU as part of my push to build my skills in math. I understand if this is not possible, but I would appreciate it greatly. I can submit screenshots to prove that I am currently mid-class.

Have a great day!

TESU Response:

We have solved your issue

Dear Michael,
Thank you for your patience while I researched your inquiry. Since your Shmoop Finite Math course was not completed prior to 5/2/18 and the course was never discussed with an advisor so we will not accept the course. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a good afternoon.

As a member of the Office of Academic Advising, I look forward to working closely with you in order to ensure your continued success. Should you need additional support, inquiries may be sent via email to academicadvising@tesu.edu (please note your degree program in the subject line). In addition to this service, I encourage you to schedule an advising appointment. During these personalized meetings, you will receive comprehensive counseling which will enrich your academic experience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,637 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,589 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore