Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amberton Bachelor's Experience?
Currently, I'm considering a few options to knock out this BSBA. Excelsior is fastest, easiest and cheapest. But it still may not be the way I want to go.

Amberton is also on my list, with their Bachelor of Human Services and Business. Amberton requires 33 credits be taken from them, including 27 upper level credits.

So my question is, what's your experience with Amberton:

1. More/less/same writing as other alt college options? (like WGU, UMPI, etc.)
2. Test focused or writing focused?
3. Lots of citations needed in writing?
4. Do they do the "post in discussions and comment on other posts with citations" thing? (this whole idea seems silly to me)
5. Anything else you'd like to share?

I understand the advantage of getting a degree fast at Excelsior vs taking more classes at Amberton, so I don't need that guidance. This is just a part of quantifying everything for my own decision-making process.

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
I completed my MBA at Amberton. I do know they are not super open to ACE credits. They are very selective with them.

I had very few tests. Many of my classes had an undergrad version with the same professor. Most classes are papers and projects. Yes, you need citations. Some classes have discussions. Some don't. Yes, citations are needed.

For a bachelor's in bus admin, UMPI is really the fastest unless you dislike writing. You can complete almost 90 credits on Sophia alone and then complete the remaining needed courses at UMPI where you have to complete a minimum of 30 credits. Most people are able to complete their degree at UMPI 2 sessions which is 16 weeks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • SCYankee
(02-26-2023, 03:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I completed my MBA at Amberton. I do know they are not super open to ACE credits. They are very selective with them.

I had very few tests. Many of my classes had an undergrad version with the same professor. Most classes are papers and projects. Yes, you need citations. Some classes have discussions. Some don't. Yes, citations are needed.

For a bachelor's in bus admin, UMPI is really the fastest unless you dislike writing. You can complete almost 90 credits on Sophia alone and then complete the remaining needed courses at UMPI where you have to complete a minimum of 30 credits. Most people are able to complete their degree at UMPI 2 sessions which is 16 weeks.

I'm not sure that UMPI has more writing than Excelsior; if it's anything like TESU, then the Excelsior capstone is going to be a LOT of writing (25+ pages for the final paper, 7 writing assignments at 1-2 pages each, and discussion posts every week at TESU).  So, it's not going to be 1 paper per course like UMPI, but it's going to be writing-heavy for at least the capstone and possibly the info lit and cornerstone courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • SCYankee
(02-26-2023, 11:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 03:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I completed my MBA at Amberton. I do know they are not super open to ACE credits. They are very selective with them.

I'm not sure that UMPI has more writing than Excelsior; if it's anything like TESU, then the Excelsior capstone is going to be a LOT of writing (25+ pages for the final paper, 7 writing assignments at 1-2 pages each, and discussion posts every week at TESU).  So, it's not going to be 1 paper per course like UMPI, but it's going to be writing-heavy for at least the capstone and possibly the info lit and cornerstone courses.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to see if there are any threads about EU capstone then. And if not, start a thread.

I really like the idea of a degree in Human Services and Business. I am a business owner and work very hard to understand and serve my clients well. But ultimately, I'm not sure it matters so much what the paper says as how fast I can finish it at this point. I spent a lot of time on courses and CLEPs/DSSTs, was stalled by the whole Covid deal (in fact, wasn't able to take the World Religions CLEP r DSST I had been studying hard for). I'd like to finish it up now.

If I go for the Master's, which is in my mind, then I'll be ready for the writing Smile
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
It is 'Human Relations and Business' not Human Services. I would save it for your Master.  At Amberton if you take the undergrad version of a class you cannot again take it for the graduate level. It wasn't always clear what the difference between the two were, but generally it seemed there were additional assignments or projects for the graduate versions. I never compared the undergrad vs grad syllabuses that closely, but you can. I would defiantly recommend Amberton for a graduate degree - and in the case of the Human Relations and Business degree it is quite flexible for course options. Of course if you don't have plans for a master then it could be a good fit. Also, they will only take RA courses for transfer in (not alternative credit friendly, just traditional credit friendly); in the case of graduate they will only transfer in courses worth three credits.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • SCYankee
Amberton's a great 'adult learner' university, it's geared for that niche... I think they've set their audience to exactly that, helping adults complete their education at an affordable price point. Having said that, I'd go with them only at the Masters level, as you can get a Bachelors cheaper, easier, faster with the recommended alternative credit institutions we already recommend. Amberton's Masters option are affordable and the 12 credit transfer credit they allow at the masters level is very appealing as well...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-01-2023, 01:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Amberton's a great 'adult learner' university, it's geared for that niche... I think they've set their audience to exactly that, helping adults complete their education at an affordable price point.  Having said that, I'd go with them only at the Masters level, as you can get a Bachelors cheaper, easier, faster with the recommended alternative credit institutions we already recommend.  Amberton's Masters option are affordable and the 12 credit transfer credit they allow at the masters level is very appealing as well...

That 12 transfer credits is kind of tricky. The courses must be 3 credits each and be RA credit. Also every master's degree doesn't have room for extra courses so transfer credits may not be helpful. There's 1 degree where transfer credit works the easiest - the MA in Professional Development, but the credits must fall under specific areas (subjects).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 370 03-27-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,946 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is it possible to get a bachelor's degree in anything with mostly Sophia, etc? whiverem 19 2,468 06-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Amberton now has ACBSP Accreditation! ss20ts 12 1,789 06-21-2022, 12:24 PM
  SUU 'Speedway" Bachelor of General Studies Completion Program Petey43 5 2,008 03-26-2022, 02:26 PM
  Unaccredited or Life Experience Degrees that are legal? ak1238 25 5,094 06-26-2021, 06:02 PM
  Nations U BACHELOR in religious studies, who's done it? StoicJ 28 7,479 02-18-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Whitepines
  Two bachelor's degrees, same credits? Clepper43 23 4,155 01-02-2021, 03:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Costs for Competency-Based Bachelor's Programs as of 7/25/2020 dfrecore 36 13,115 10-06-2020, 08:34 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Bachelor competency based Teacherwannabe19 5 1,414 08-13-2020, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Merlin