Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another COSC journey
(05-13-2020, 04:58 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you just want a piece of paper to say that you have a degree, you might want to try to get a Pierpont BOG AAS. Right now, this would cost you roughly $400 (4 classes through ASU earned admissions) + about $400 for a 1-credit class at Pierpont so that they'll print a transcript for you. If you don't want/need a transcript and just want something for your wall, it'd just be $400 for the paper. They want a total of 60 credits, but most of those can be satisfied with Sophia.

That sounds like a great idea for someone who just wants an AAS for résumé fodder, Rachel. I've been working on finding a plan like this for a relative with special needs who took a Sophia course and liked it.

May I ask, did you by chance ever map this out, perhaps on another thread?
(05-20-2020, 12:35 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 04:58 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you just want a piece of paper to say that you have a degree, you might want to try to get a Pierpont BOG AAS. Right now, this would cost you roughly $400 (4 classes through ASU earned admissions) + about $400 for a 1-credit class at Pierpont so that they'll print a transcript for you. If you don't want/need a transcript and just want something for your wall, it'd just be $400 for the paper. They want a total of 60 credits, but most of those can be satisfied with Sophia.

That sounds like a great idea for someone who just wants an AAS for résumé fodder, Rachel.  I've been working on finding a plan like this for a relative with special needs who took a Sophia course and liked it.

The only things to keep in mind with Pierpont is you have to have 12 credits from an RA school and you have been out of high school at least a few years. Also, you can't have any prior college degrees of any kind.
(05-20-2020, 12:41 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 12:35 PM)ctcarl Wrote:

That sounds like a great idea for someone who just wants an AAS for résumé fodder, Rachel.  I've been working on finding a plan like this for a relative with special needs who took a Sophia course and liked it.

The only things to keep in mind with Pierpont is you have to have 12 credits from an RA school and you have been out of high school at least a few years. Also, you can't have any prior college degrees of any kind.

Yeah, the 12 credits are a stumbling block for the person I asked about.  Still, I wonder if it might be doable.
(05-20-2020, 12:35 PM)ctcarl Wrote: That sounds like a great idea for someone who just wants an AAS for résumé fodder, Rachel.  I've been working on finding a plan like this for a relative with special needs who took a Sophia course and liked it.

I made a page on the wiki with the relevant links for Pierpont: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

Info about ASU EA can be found elsewhere. The ASU EA classes should be (relatively) easy, at least some of them. I would guess human origins, health and wellness, solar systems astronomy, and maybe human communication would be the easiest way to get 12 RA credits. But I am not positive and it'll depend on what strengths your relative has - if they like math then algebra and/or precalc might be "easy". The great thing is that there's no cost for ASU EA classes right now; unless you want the credits put on a transcript.
(05-20-2020, 03:39 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 12:35 PM)ctcarl Wrote: That sounds like a great idea for someone who just wants an AAS for résumé fodder, Rachel.  I've been working on finding a plan like this for a relative with special needs who took a Sophia course and liked it.

I made a page on the wiki with the relevant links for Pierpont: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

Info about ASU EA can be found elsewhere. The ASU EA classes should be (relatively) easy, at least some of them. I would guess human origins, health and wellness, solar systems astronomy, and maybe human communication would be the easiest way to get 12 RA credits. But I am not positive and it'll depend on what strengths your relative has - if they like math then algebra and/or precalc might be "easy". The great thing is that there's no cost for ASU EA classes right now; unless you want the credits put on a transcript.

Oh!  I looked over the wiki and the ASU site, but I've got to check it again.  I thought the EA courses were $99 each...still a bargain for RA credit.

Thanks!
(05-20-2020, 06:32 PM)ctcarl Wrote: Oh!  I looked over the wiki and the ASU site, but I've got to check it again.  I thought the EA courses were $99 each...still a bargain for RA credit.

Thanks!

I think they meant it's zero cost to view/take the course, it still costs $99 to actually get credits from ASU. It's helpful if you don't like the grade you get, it never ends up on a transcript.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dbinghamjr's post:
  • rachel83az
(05-20-2020, 08:09 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 06:32 PM)ctcarl Wrote: Oh!  I looked over the wiki and the ASU site, but I've got to check it again.  I thought the EA courses were $99 each...still a bargain for RA credit.

Thanks!

I think they meant it's zero cost to view/take the course, it still costs $99 to actually get credits from ASU. It's helpful if you don't like the grade you get, it never ends up on a transcript.
Thanks for the info.  I'm really curious about ASU now, have to see if I can find someone who's taken a few of the EA courses and can share their experiences; assignments, class schedules, provided materials, required textbooks, exam types, proctoring info, etc.
(05-20-2020, 10:34 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 08:09 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.  I'm really curious about ASU now, have to see if I can find someone who's taken a few of the EA courses and can share their experiences; assignments, class schedules, provided materials, required textbooks, exam types, proctoring info, etc.
I'm taking the self paced English I & Algebra right now, honestly it's really well put together.

English I is a mix of "content mastery" modules, quizzes, & writing activities. Total of 20 writer's journals (400-500 words) & 5 papers. All the writing is self-assessed, so you don't have to wait on an instructor, you're just grading yourself. Materials are all included within the course, what I've seen so far is a good mixture of readings & videos.

Algebra is based around ALEKS, you have to complete 90% of the pie (345 topics in this case) & it unlocks a RPNow proctored final, 26 questions. They also have a couple practice finals. They have a section where you can ask for help on a problem, but I haven't used it yet.

I enrolled in a few more that have summer start dates, Intro to Communications looks interesting - the syllabus I found for a prior session says the course is all quizzes & tests - no speech to give.
[-] The following 2 users Like dbinghamjr's post:
  • bluebooger, rachel83az
(05-21-2020, 09:29 AM)dbinghamjr Wrote: I'm taking the self paced English I & Algebra right now, honestly it's really well put together.

English I is a mix of "content mastery" modules, quizzes, & writing activities. Total of 20 writer's journals (400-500 words) & 5 papers. All the writing is self-assessed, so you don't have to wait on an instructor, you're just grading yourself. Materials are all included within the course, what I've seen so far is a good mixture of readings & videos.

Algebra is based around ALEKS, you have to complete 90% of the pie (345 topics in this case) & it unlocks a RPNow proctored final, 26 questions. They also have a couple practice finals. They have a section where you can ask for help on a problem, but I haven't used it yet.

I enrolled in a few more that have summer start dates, Intro to Communications looks interesting - the syllabus I found for a prior session says the course is all quizzes & tests - no speech to give.

Excellent info!  Thank you for sharing.

I may take Intro to Health and Wellness, just to get a better feel for the process.  Did you have to enroll at ASU to take the course, or no?
(05-21-2020, 10:48 AM)ctcarl Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 09:29 AM)dbinghamjr Wrote: I'm taking the self paced English I & Algebra right now, honestly it's really well put together.

Excellent info!  Thank you for sharing.

I may take Intro to Health and Wellness, just to get a better feel for the process.  Did you have to enroll at ASU to take the course, or no?

Nope - you just have to register for an "ASURITE" (basically an ASU login), just requires the basics (name, email, etc). It takes ~24 hours to get the activation email, and another 24 hours to be able to use your ASURITE w/ the earned admissions site.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dbinghamjr's post:
  • ctcarl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,972 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,861 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 781 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,399 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,097 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,340 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,794 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,255 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,915 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,665 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso