Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Sophia Spanish I question
I'm reviewing touchstone requirements and the rubric. At the bottom it says this : 

• Content must be original and created for this assignment; plagiarism of any kind including the use of online translators, such as Google Translate, to translate full sentences is strictly prohibited.                 
    In other posts and comments I've seen folks suggest using google translate to make sure pronunciation is correct. Even if you were to check your work using Google translate, how is that plagiarism if it's your own words ? The touchstones don't have the ability to submit a draft, so using a translator to check your work is no different than using a calculator to check your work in math.....   thoughts ?
The suggestion isn't to use GT to translate words or phrases, it's to make sure that you're pronouncing it correctly. So you don't say "GAIT-o" instead of "GOT-o" for gato. If you're worried about using a translator, you can use leo.org to check single word pronunciations. Just make sure the dictionary is set to English/Spanish and not English/German or German/Portuguese or whatever.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Yes I get that but it's essentially the same thing....right ? I mean, I use google translator to type in phrases to hear the entire thing said together.....how is this any different ?
No, not at all. Entering "El gato nero" into the "translate" side and then listening to it read aloud is very different from entering "The black cat" into the translate side and then copying the auto-translation.

Someone who is fluent can usually tell when auto-translation has been used.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Hmm, okay, I think I get it. When I was trying to get through IC Spanish, I would sometimes have to use google translate to better hear the pronunciation of a word or sentence. Between that and Sophia Spanish, I am seeing differences ( if memory serves me ) between my high school Spanish and what I'm learning now. Example: I learned Me Llamo es instead of Mi nombre for: my name is....... Being able to use the translator to put it altogether, hearing nuances between words is so helpful. Just hearing one or two words at a time doesn't help a ton.

As a side note: I do like the Sophia audio for Spanish better than IC's.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,522 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 390 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 282 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,807 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,882 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 609 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,977 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,813 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares