Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another creditless IT cert?
So my understanding is they don't directly accept IT certs.
here is my reference page of which I base this opinion.
Thomas Edison State College: Licenses & Certifications

However yes they do accept IT certs via ACE recognition
ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training

You will need to click on the company links and see if your certification is listed.
So if you click on M, then microsoft, you will find many certs count for credit.

The process would be create an account at ACE, get your proof of cert to them. For example if you took any Pearson/Vue tests, you would contact them, get a transcript sent to ACE.
Then have ACE send a transcript to TESC.
Wait until all your various certs are received at ACE, before sending one to Tesc, it cost each time.

The same applies if your taking skillsoft classes, aleks, or any ACE credit courses.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
bs13 Wrote:Hi, Does TESC accept IT certifications? If yes, Does anybody know the process for sending IT certifications to TESC? I have sent my transcripts to Excelsior.

I don't know if this is still the case, but TESC has given credit for COMPTIA and Microsoft certs without having to go through ACE. I don't even think COMPTIA certs are ACE evaluated. Even if something is not ACE or NCCRS approved, you can still submit the cert for evaluation by TESC.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Before considering any PLA for TESC you need to talk to Todd Siben, their PLA manager and much much more. When I was working with him to get 2 UL music courses approved, I brought up the Learning Counts claim that TESC was a "partner". He told me that this was a "misnomer", although he did not categorically deny that you could not use Learning Counts. However, you would still have to get approval from Todd to cross your PLAs to TESC degree required courses. Another point that Todd just reminded me of today: your TESC PLA is not just documentation of any independent study you may have done but must also include components of knowledge gained through demonstrated experience. E.g. My PLA for Chorale Music Arranging must include documentation of a real chorus using my arrangements for a real show!

By the way, I previously started a thread asking for anyone on this site who had done any PLA with successful transfer to any school, and I received no responses. However, I have recently tripped over LearningCounts | Course Listings | College Credit for Experience. I presume these are portfolios that have been completed through them, but I see no cross for any of thes portfolios to any schools' course listing. Perhaps these course tiltles and descriptions cross to courses at Excelsior, who is bona-fide partner. Via email on two previous occassions I have requested more info from Learning Counts as a TESC student. I have never received any response from them.
At first, the Learning Counts PLAs were put on an ACE transcript. Now, Learning Counts is working with NCCRS. The Alamo Colleges recommend Learning Counts for PLAs, so those are at least a few schools that are guaranteed to accept them. However, PLAs are only accepted for certain degree programs and courses. Whenever transferring any course (traditional or PLA), there is always the chance that the course will not fit in a school's particular degree plan or that it won't be matched up with an equivalent course.

Prior Learning Assessment
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:I don't know if this is still the case, but TESC has given credit for COMPTIA and Microsoft certs without having to go through ACE. I don't even think COMPTIA certs are ACE evaluated. Even if something is not ACE or NCCRS approved, you can still submit the cert for evaluation by TESC.

I checked with TESC if they accept my Mircosoft,Oracle & IBM certification. Please see the following reply from TESC. I am wondering if there is any other way (other than PLA) to get credits for my IT certifications.

Sanntone, May I know whom did you contact? Extension number or email Id will help.

Email from TESC:

We can only accept the above from ACE...

How do I contact ACE (The American Council on Education)?

ACE (The American Council on Education) evaluates organizations that are not regionally accredited or that are professional organizations that provides training for its employees. If you feel you are eligible to receive credit via ACE, please contact them to set up a transcript account and have an official copy of the transcript sent to us. Attached below is a link to ACE's National Guide showing what organizations have been already approved.

National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training

Transcript Service (ACE CREDIT)
American Council on Education
One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 250
Washington, DC 20036
(866) 205-6267 or 202-939-9434
credit@ace.nche.edu
I didn't contact anyone. There have been other people on this forum who have received credit for COMPTIA certs. You never know when someone is wrong at TESC. Two recent examples:
An advisor told someone on here that he or she couldn't use CC credits in the area of study. That person turned out to be wrong.
An advisor told someone that the Networking Technologies TECEP couldn't be used for the CIS concentration. That turned out to be wrong.

However, I have never heard of them giving credit for IBM or Oracle certs.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
the problem is so many things expire

Microsoft is retiring some of the MS SQL Server 2008 exams end of July

and the 2012 SQL Server exams aren't ACE approved yet, they aren't even listed on the ACE page

Excelsior's web page doesn't even list WHICH exams they accept anymore, they just say "have MS send your a copy of your certs and then you send the copy to us"
I guess the only way to know for sure is to contact a "learning adviser"
but just because they accept it today doesn't mean they'll accept it next' week
It's a shame that certifications don't count for more with some schools. Of course, I do note that they seem to count more at some graduate schools. A coworker was able to waive ~5 classes from his Master's at Capella, due to his CISSP.

Like another poster stated, having more certifications makes you more likely to hit the match, especially for government contracting (where I currently work). I have seen job postings for higher positions, and they may require a cert or two that I do not currently have. Do I remain stagnant, or do I press on further? Contracts expire, so you have to keep on top of your game in order to be able to pick up new work when the contract is ending.

As long as I can do everything the certification requires, I have no problem at all with listing it on my resume. As long as I am not dumping them and can back them up when asked, it is a non-issue for me. More difficult ones take more effort than easier ones. My last cert took over a year, and I'm working on another one right now (which will probably take another year). Also, there have been things that I have learned in cert preparation that prevent mistakes on the job (a good thing, right?).

Also, I enjoy learning technical things. I'm considering going for a C.S. degree, just because I want to learn more.

Do I have too many certs? I don't know. What I do know is that gaining certifications has had a positive impact on my salary, and until they begin to have a negative impact, I will not stop getting them.

Do I know what I'm doing? Yes, I do. I know for a fact that every single boss I have EVER had would hire me back. Several have stated that they wanted to clone me or used similar language to describe their fondness of me.

Are certs everything? Of course not. This is especially true in IT, where what you can do is the primary factor on the job. Still, if you ever have to change jobs, it is a lot easier to do so if you have a few letters on the resume.

Hope this helps.
B.S. Information Systems, American Sentinel University
M.S. Information Security and Assurance, Western Governors University
CISSP | CCNP | CCNA:R&S | CCNA:Security | MCSE | MCSA | MCP | G2700 | CHFI | CEH | ITILv3F | Security+ | Server+ | Network+ | A+
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin [If you want to connect, please provide your forum pseudonym in the request.]
As far as CompTia certs go at TESC, I received 2 credits for the A+(Windows) and 0 for the Network(Networks)+. However, other colleges will accept both for 3 credits. Although TESC's policies on given credits for certifications could have changed by now.
Respect Yourself and Respect others.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Principle of Statistics
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
nleamons - I also have two Comptia certs. (A+ and Network+). What process should I follow to submit that info to TESC.
Note:
Quote:Im new to all this - Just got accepted yesterday (5/8/14) still waiting to hear about my comm college credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grad Cert Health Informatics Alpha 0 434 08-01-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Cornell Executive Education: $600 Cert: Leading Through Crisis Life Long Learning 6 1,205 08-10-2020, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Instant Cert Flashcards Adv. Eng. Comp Carnation 0 925 07-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  Instant Cert Question acamp 9 1,812 02-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  HarvardX Cert worth $100? fingerscrossedx2 6 2,102 05-11-2018, 11:41 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Is instant cert alone the only material used for passing the clep exams? desireelws50 5 2,070 12-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How good/accurate is this practice on instant cert for CLEP College Algebra? BLAKEROBINSON77 1 1,381 05-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Human Resources Cert? cjtheo 7 1,562 05-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Cheap VMware Training for VCP Cert JTP 9 1,740 03-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Last Post: scorched
  Project Management Cert Class/126 PDUs for $60! CHEAP CHEAP iwant2stalku 10 1,374 02-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Last Post: iwant2stalku