Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any advice on getting hotel deals at the last minute
I'm supposed to go to Las Vegas for the SEMA show tomorrow but the prices for hotels on the strip right now are outrageous. I've checked hotwire, hotels.com, booking.com, and several other sites but they're all priced pretty much the same, BAD. Do you guys have any ideas that I may have overlooked? Should've posted this earlier. I do have a buddy out there that I can crash with but he booked a king size bed not knowing I would be in this predicament. I don't mind sleeping on the same bed because I'm pretty good at staying within that invisible line but he's FREAKING OUT:roflol:
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Pick a hotel and call them directly instead. Tell them your companys discount code is not working on the website. Have them look up the cost of the room and tell them you work for a large company that has a lot of people that travel such as Deloitte, Accenture, GE, or something like that. My company gets great discounts but I still tell the hotel to use my customers name instead as they get an even better discount.
Just understand that it works best if your staying in one of the large hotel chains, like Marriott, Hilton, etc..
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
Are you driving out there? You can get one of those comfy camping cots at Costco for like $60 and put it in the corner of your friend’s room. I slept on one for a few weeks while i was in the process of moving.
Do you have access to Military installations? Nellis is right down the street, pretty cheap rooms compared to the strip.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;
Like Scorched says, call direct. We use Marriott for all our stays, and even when I get an online rate, I book it and then ask for an upgraded room. I get it 99% of the time. In addition, I've tried hotels where it's "full" but when I call direct I can almost always get a room.

P.S. Many chains have rewards programs- just free cards where you collect points. We have done the Marriott program for years, and besides getting some perks now and then, being a "member" almost always means they'll be extra nice to you. I always open my phone call by saying "hi my name is Jennifer.....I'm a silver rewards member....blah blah...."
When I went out a couple of years ago, I stayed at the Palms. It is off strip, but they have a shuttle. They were far cheaper than staying on the strip.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Priceline's name your own price and biddingfortravel.yuku.com essential for knowing how to maximize your bid opportunities. Make sure you read the bid strategy guide.
Cleps Passed:

Information Systems & Computer Applications - 64
Spanish - 58
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 71
Principles of Macroeconomics - 53
Principles of Microeconomics - 61
Introductory Sociology - 54
Calculus - 51
Biology - 67
I've always had great luck with lastminutetravel.com. If you don't like the rates you see online, give them a call and see if they can find you a better rate. Also, you can figure out which hotel you're looking at on any of these 'hidden deal' hotel sites by reverse image searching the pictures they post of the rooms. Good luck!
I know it's probably too late, but I thought I would throw this out there for future reference. If it's an emergency call direct and call late, like after 11pm. Most night auditors are able to be more flexible, since they are making the reservations after hours and don't have supervisors breathing down their necks. Just be polite and see if they will work with you. If you approach them sensibly, they'll work with you 99% of the time.

Just a little tip from a night auditor. Wink
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
A day late a dollar short but I appreciate all the advice and I've noted it for next time. I was at the Red Roof Inn for the last 2 nights for $79 a night, not great but not horrible either just a typical motel. I wish I could plan ahead and get better deals but due to my unstable schedule I have to do most everything last minute.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Also wanted to add that when there's shows like SEMA and CES in Vegas the hotels fill up fast and that's why they charge a premium. I would definitely like to try out the Palm's next time, heard good things about it. I normally stay at Flamingo's, Venetian, or Bally's. FYI Whiskey Pete's was the cheapest I found during this week $19.99. Of course, it's 30-40 minutes away from Vegas but it might've been worth it.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 19 1,508 04-04-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,400 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 560 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,134 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 701 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  How to Evaluate Advice (Before Using It) Kal Di 2 780 03-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Thanksgiving deals NewatTESU 4 796 11-27-2021, 01:02 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UDACITY advice Cofffeee 8 1,319 06-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  The Best Life Advice Thread natshar 8 2,579 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  HR Advice burbuja0512 17 2,981 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM