Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Best Life Advice Thread
I thought it would be cool to have a thread of just general advice from a diverse group of people on this thread. I'm sure we all come from different backgrounds and experience and have different advice to offer.

So here's what I'm thinking: on this thread just give us some advice on life (basically anything!)

Then if anyone needs advice, they can come to this thread and as well as succeeding at finishing their degree they will be succeeding at life as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • MadisonSylura
Suffering comes from the difference in how we wish things were and how they really are.

I can control very few things. I can influence more. But for most things, I must learn to accept them.

Everybody gets the same 168 hours per week. What are you going to do with yours?

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful." G.E.P. Box

Worklife is a multarity. We rush to proportionately balance the things we want to do for a living, where we want to do it, and how much you want to earn doing it. Those proportions can change over time...and back again.

There is no "work/life balance." This is zero-sum thinking; that one must be sacrificed in favor of the other...and then back again. Actually, it's all one thing: life. Seek work/life integration instead, where work is play and play is work.

When you consult, sell, work, or do anything for a customer, one balances quality, price, and speed. The customer can articulate two of these; the third is a function of the first two. If you want it good and fast, it will cost more. If you want it fast and cheap, it won't be so good. Etc.

Give advice, but attach no strings. Advice is given, not lent. Do not expect people to accept and follow it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sagan's post:
  • alab21, mudball
Never send a message when in an overly emotional state. Once something is sent, it can't be unsent. Take a breath and calm yourself.

You can watch the drama unfold without becoming a part of it.

Don't gossip.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hunter91's post:
  • Clepper43
Three pieces of advice:

1. Baking soda takes the vomit smell out of carpet.  Clean up as much as possible, put water on the "spot" and rub in A LOT of baking soda.  Let dry, then vacuum up.  Repeat if necessary.  (All parents with small children and carpet need to know this one).

2. Control is an illusion.

3. You can pay now or you can pay later.  In every area of life, it is always cheaper to pay now.

That's all I got.
"If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person." - Dave Berry.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Find out as soon as possible who your real friends are, not so you can stop investing yourself into other relationships and acquaintances, but so that when crisis comes you've already discerned who's going to be in your corner through thick and through thin.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Feeling bad is never the solution to a problem, though it might get you off your butt. It'll be optimism and hard work that carry the day.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
-You probably won't regret taking an opportunity, but it is likely you will regret not taking an opportunity. When in doubt, take the opportunity.

-Step of your comfort zone.

-Don't let your past labels define you, you can do so much more than that.

-When things don't go as planned, embrace it because that is usually when the best memories happen.
You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to
[-] The following 3 users Like a4tunatemom's post:
  • dfrecore, mudball, Sapientes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,325 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 524 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 666 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,101 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Video A Modern Movie That Shows the Brutal Life of Communism LevelUP 1 531 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin Yet Another Boring Elon Musk Fanboy Thread LevelUP 3 626 11-14-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Sad My Whole Life Was a Lie LevelUP 10 4,011 07-24-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Why African Americans Prefer Life in Africa Kal Di 18 1,504 05-19-2022, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium