Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any car experts/hobbyists?
So I bought this used car from a major car dealer. They have been pretty good about making repairs under the 30 day warranty, but they refused to replace my tires. Soon after I bought the car, I noticed dry rot, tire rot, or whatever you call it. Concerned about a blowout, I told them the tires should be replaced. They said that a technician and a manager determined that the tires were well within their standards. Today, I had a pre-purchase inspection company check my vehicle. Their technician said that a major dealer like them should not be selling cars with tires that old and cracked. He said it was a safety hazard. An automotive shop said my tires were okay, but I don't trust them for other reasons. I'm really thinking I should raise hell and have them replace my tires. These were the original tires from the assembly line, and the car is 7 years old. I'm thinking age + noticeable tire rot + the car being from Arizona are bad combinations.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I'm really thinking I should raise hell and have them replace my tires.
Then do it.

Complain, complain complain -- up the chain, up the chain, up the chain -- until the Company President and all his execs are exhausted and cave, weeping. If necessary, litigate 'em in small claims court until they don't have a tattered pair of skivvies to stand up in. You have a knowledgeable technician's word as backup.

Future customers are depending on you to straighten these people out. Go bravely into battle, good soldier! Right is on your side.

Johann
Tires ever blow up?
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I haven't had the chance to drive the car much. It was at the dealership for weeks receiving repairs. I started to get more used to the loaner vehicle which was awful.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Yep I agree with Johann everyday is a battle in this world so stand up and fight.
I think I've lost the tire battle. My last resort is to complain to the Better Business Bureau and Texas Attorney General's Office, but it won't only be for the tires.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
What is your time worth? If you spend too much time worrying about the tires, the cost of your time could pay for the tires. I have a bad habit of getting worked up about stuff that I can't change and wasting valuable time. It is something I am trying to learn to avoid. Good luck with the outcome.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
It didn't take me much time to send an email to the corporate office. They sent out managers to look at the tires, but they only care about the tread. They aren't the least bit concerned about the sidewalls. It shouldn't take me more than 20 min. to file complaints with the BBB and AG's office. Good tires are not cheap.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The last time we bought a used car, our experience was similar to what it sounds like you're going through. Our next purchase was a Hyundai, new, and we'll never buy used again and are firm Hyundai owners from here on out. Our previous used car payments were $200-$275/month. Our new car payment is $275 for a brand new Elantra and $360 for a brand new Sonata (Elantra is at 0.9% financing, Sonata at 0.0% financing). We were paying $40/week of fuel per car for the old used cars for a total of $320/month total in gas. The new cars are far more fuel-efficient; we spend $50 per car every two weeks for a total of $200/month in fuel in the new cars. On the trade-ins, repairs were out of pocket while the new cars are under full warranty for a few years. In the end, it was less expensive to buy new, and far less stress and headache if something goes wrong. The last Hyundai (the first one we bought new) never had maintenance concerns and only one recall which they took care of during a $10 oil change (oil changes, tire rotations, and similar standard maintenance are significantly discounted at the dealer and they'll toss me a loaner if I drop off in the morning so I don't need to stress finding a ride while I leave it with them). I paid $40-60 per oil change and tire rotation for the used ones.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
I probably should have considered a cheap, new car. It was hard for me to find something for under the amount the bank approved me for. I guess I could have gotten a cheap Nissan if I weren't so picky. I hate really small cars because they are easily totaled in accidents. We have a lot of big trucks and SUVs around here. I couldn't afford a new, mid-sized sedan. The problem wasn't only the tires. For the first month after I purchased the vehicle, I was mostly driving their loaner vehicle. They spent over 3 weeks fixing problems. I had the vehicle inspected by a mechanic twice: after I bought the car and after the first set of repairs. These are the problems the car had even though the dealership claims it thoroughly inspects its vehicles and brings them up to "quality" standards: cracked tires with missing chunks of rubber that they refused to replace even though they were covered under the warranty, leaking power steering hose, dirty brake fluid, dirty power steering fluid, dirty cabin air filter, problem with intermodal switch that led to a transmission rebuild, oil leak that I believe was caused by the rebuild, out of alignment, a chrome piece on the exterior that fell off, a damaged wheel that they tried to cover up with spray paint, and vibration that I know was caused by a sloppy transmission rebuild. They have fixed everything except for the vibration and tires, and they tried to repaint the wheel instead of replacing it.

I already sent complaints to BBB Auto Line and the Texas Attorney General's Office. I'm planning on mailing a complaint to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles because they don't have an online complaint system for car dealerships.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We Are Officially in a Recession As Experts Warn ‘Worse To Come’ LevelUP 4 642 07-31-2022, 12:23 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Any bike experts? sanantone 18 1,979 08-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Security Experts Needed for CompTIA Trustmark BMWGuinness 0 1,585 01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Last Post: BMWGuinness