Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who doesn't use a proctor?
(06-04-2020, 10:30 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 05:23 PM)videogamesrock Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 11:52 PM)anewmanx Wrote: How hard is it for you to actually learn your material and not cheat.

My webcam no longer works on my laptop...so there's that.
Most courses with weighted system of grading allow to take most of the exam open book and then if you aced all the open book ones, you have to score very little to pass the final (i.e. Straighterline). But there is always a ton of studying involved. Most people want to learn and be honest.

I don’t understand what this has to do with my question? I asked which ones don’t use a proctor. But sounds to me that SL should be doable for you.

Sent from my typewriter.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(06-02-2020, 05:37 AM)Merlin Wrote: The Sophia "biometric proctor" is really not very invasive and there is no camera. ALEKS uses a lockdown browser on their ACE recommended courses, but it doesn't require a camera. Those two are probably the best options for people who don't have (or don't want to deal with) a camera and being monitored while testing.

That said, nobody can complete an entire degree using just those two sources of credit, so most people will need to bite the bullet and deal with real proctoring (live or online) at some point to complete a degree.

(06-02-2020, 02:14 AM)bluebooger Wrote: maybe they don't want to go through all the hassles : install special software to monitor your actions, install special browser, be in a room with no one else around and no noise 

some people have kids that scream and make noise 
some people have parents or roommates that listen to tv loudly

While proctors generally don't care if small kids or animals are in the room while testing, most people figure out ways to get around those issues. Taking exams in a closet or bathroom for example, or waiting until everyone goes to sleep. Worst case, if it were me, I'd head to the library to take a test (well, when not locked down from Covid-19 anyway).

Even if it weren't for proctors, I would never want to take an exam with all that noise or distraction. How would you focus on the exam?

As for the hassle, I'd say get used to it... it really isn't that big of a deal and after the first few proctored exams you will start to forget they are even there. Dealing with proctoring is the cost of the privilege of being able to take exams online rather than having to go into a test center. Some concessions just have to be made to keep people honest, since if you make it easy for people to cheat, some will. Not everyone, but there are plenty out there who will.

(06-02-2020, 02:14 AM)bluebooger Wrote: I was reading the WGU reddit about some horror stories people had with proctors : one proctor wanted to stop the exam because a cat came into the room 
another said the webcam had to show the test taker's face FULLY -- not from the side -- but also had to show the monitor 
another proctor would not start the exam because the test taker had a printer in the same room 
another proctor wanted to stop the exam because the test taker put their hand on their chin to think and when they did their hand covered part of their mouth LOL   
another proctor told a student he could have a cup of coffee, but only if it was in a clear glass and not a mug ! ha ha ha 

when I do the milestone's for Sophia algebra I sit on my bed, just wearing jogging shorts, no shirt, my laptop on my lap and I do the exam with a youtube video of Tibetan Singing Bowls playing in the background 
HA HA HA

none of that would be allowed with a proctor

Every school has different requirements for proctoring. Some of the things you mention actually are allowed, but the rest honestly make sense not to be allowed. Voices (or videos) in the background will almost always get flagged since the proctor won't be able to tell if someone is giving you the answers or not. It is also why they won't allow you to speak while taking the test... you could be dictating to someone else.

To be fair, most of the "proctor issues" that people report on reddit are blown out of proportion. In some cases, I wouldn't be surprised if they were made up. Yes, there are bad proctors out there who make up their own rules or don't follow the rules of the school, but they are generally weeded out pretty quickly. If a proctor isn't following the rules set by your school or course provider, you can always elect to speak to a supervisor or ask for the exam to be suspended pending review by the school's student services or testing department.

I can confirm that proctoru does not allow bathrooms
As my dad used to say "Back in my day, we had to walk 5 miles to school...uphill both ways!"

I for one am glad we have the opportunity to take most of our exams from home. Think about the time it takes for a CLEP exam. First you have to schedule the test, pay the $90-$120  proctor fees, secure transportation to a location, sit for the test and drive home.  Easily 2-4 hours for most people.  With online proctoring, most tests can can be completed in as little as 45 mins at home in your PJ's...and, I might add, for basically free if you are already paying for course training.  

The larger point is, online proctoring has not been around that long and there has to be some way to verify that the person receiving the credit has the course knowledge. Without some verification, the notion of schools accepting credits for online work would disapear. To me, cams, biometrics, locked browsers (or putting the cat outside...Lol!) is a small price to pay for the ability to basically earn a degree entirely online.
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

[-] The following 1 user Likes GizmoJack's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-01-2020, 09:59 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Ok thanks. So all now use a proctor.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

You can pick up at least 15 ACE-approved credits from Texas Engineering Extension Service, and 2 Ethics credits from The Institutes, all online without proctoring.

(06-01-2020, 11:52 PM)anewmanx Wrote: How hard is it for you to actually learn your material and not cheat.

If you have a smartphone, there are free apps to use it as a webcam.  I've personally used DroidCam for this purpose and it works flawlessly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ctcarl's post:
  • videogamesrock
CSM learn proctoring was done with an app on the phone that took pictures while you typed. Parts of the course recorded typing patterns to compare to the app pictures. and you uploaded a picture of your id. I realize of course not all colleges transfer that course for credit.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • videogamesrock
(06-06-2020, 10:37 AM)ctcarl Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 09:59 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Ok thanks. So all now use a proctor.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

You can pick up at least 15 ACE-approved credits from Texas Engineering Extension Service, and 2 Ethics credits from The Institutes, all online without proctoring.

If you have a smartphone, there are free apps to use it as a webcam.  I've personally used DroidCam for this purpose and it works flawlessly.

Oh that’s interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my typewriter.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(06-06-2020, 12:01 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Oh that’s interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my typewriter.

You're welcome.  Take a look here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit

Once you get on the TEEX site, you'll find a number of CJ courses that are subsidized and very inexpensive, in addition to the FEMA-sponsored IT courses.
(06-04-2020, 10:38 PM)videogamesrock Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 10:30 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:

Most courses with weighted system of grading allow to take most of the exam open book and then if you aced all the open book ones, you have to score very little to pass the final (i.e. Straighterline). But there is always a ton of studying involved. Most people want to learn and be honest.

I don’t understand what this has to do with my question?  I asked which ones don’t use a proctor.  But sounds to me that SL should be doable for you.

Sent from my typewriter.
Was replying to the person who said how hard it is to learn material and not cheat.  Angry

I have only taken two courses from SL but other than that I have already completed the equivalent courses it offers that I need for my degree, and there was a ton of studying involved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lacedonia4's post:
  • videogamesrock

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College Algebra no Proctor smilingtimes 11 2,518 09-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: QuickDegree223
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 647 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Proctor U (Proctor FU) with Coopersmith... still just as bad studyingfortests 11 1,980 05-22-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Study.com and formula sheet on proctor bronson1551 12 3,079 05-02-2018, 12:24 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Remote Proctor problems rlw74 7 1,787 03-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Flash cards here and clep study guide doesn't match up anthonyfleming 20 2,481 08-30-2016, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Did anyone else forget they were being watched while taking a Proctor U test? passit1 10 3,342 05-27-2016, 01:29 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  Proctor U and loose-leaf textbooks? adavis84 8 1,403 04-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Straighterline Proctor Process deucess 17 3,456 02-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Last Post: alzee
  Looking for an exam proctor in SHANGHAI Darina 4 1,649 10-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Darina