Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any other students with chronic illness?
Hey guys! Confusedeeya: I thought I'd give a shout-out to see if there are any students here with chronic illness. I deal with fibromyalgia, CFS, POTS, chronic migraines, and a host of the other autoimmune cousins. It's one reason I'm especially grateful for this online route of college (and for all you wonderful people who help pave the way!). I graduated HS almost 6 years ago and have had to take college slow since then because of my health. You guys make being behind okay, which is encouraging, let me tell ya!

Being a young person in today's world involves everyone asking what you're doing for college, do you have a job, and so forth. And it's hard to explain to people that it's a full-time job just trying to be well! The "spoon theory" does a splendid job getting this point across...check it out! But You Dont Look Sick? support for those with invisible illness or chronic illness The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino - But You Dont Look Sick? support for those with invisible illness or chronic illness

Being unwell has affected a lot of things, especially studying! For example, I've failed a few tests because I got hit with a migraine halfway through, or because of "brain fog", and so forth. 24/7 pain definitely changes you; prior to getting sick, the high school me was a straight-A student; now just six years since graduating, I study 3x as much just to get decent grades. :ack: The brain on pain is a scary thing...lol

Of course there's a silver lining to every cloud, though...being forced to slow down has made me appreciate life more carefully, and to find strength that I didn't know I had! And while it really sucks living with chronic illness in what is supposed to be the prime of life, I like the quote "you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." So here's to any fellow spoonies learning how to surf...and really, to anyone adjusting to a different life than what you had planned! cheersmate
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
[-] The following 1 user Likes keepsingin's post:
  • harrypotter
I too am a Superhuman. Smile
And I am totally PMing you because we have to talk.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
I myself do not have any.

But I have a friend who introduced me to TESU (not a member of this forum).
He graduated highschool 2 years ago and he's been going to TESU and taking the pace slow because he suffers from severe psychosis.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

Zachcleigh Wrote:he's been going to TESU and taking the pace slow because he suffers from severe psychosis.

Slightly related, this reminds me of a TED Talk by Elyn Saks where she talks about her journey through Yale Law School and learning she suffers from schizophrenia. She's now a professor of law at Univ. of Southern California Law. It's a pretty fascinating story.

https://www.ted.com/talks/elyn_saks_seei...anguage=en
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
No chronic illness, but I think most everyone here had some adversity they had to overcome to make their degree happen. Color me totally impressed and inspired by your perseverance.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I have posted about the beginning of my time at TESU a lot, but didn't disclose some issues until I posted my "I'm done" thread. I danced professionally for years, & went through a lot from that which I had some PTSD from. Eventually I ruined my left knee, which left me without work. Then I had an a permanent injury on the right knee just before I had surgery on the left. My home life involved domestic violence that eventually left me with multiple back injuries, & contributed more to the PTSD and lead to depression. I'm starting to feel much better mood wise, it helped my confidence that I was finally able to find a job and finish my degree all while dealing with some pretty severe verbal & physical domestic violence. I now deal with chronic pain in both knees and my entire back though, especially the tailbone. I've also had horrible migraines for years. Its hard to make any sort of study schedule when you aren't sure if you are safe, if you'll still have a place to live tomorrow, how long you can sit and try to concentrate/learn until the back pain gets too severe, or if you have to deal with migraines that can go from hours to days. Its slowed me down for sure, & I put on a lot of weight as a result (60lbs). At least finishing at TESU I could work at my own pace & even lay on my stomach to study instead of dealing with as much back pain from sitting up. I have a lot of mornings still where I just wake up in a ton of pain, which is miserable, and I've learned to schedule my whole day around how much I can physically/emotionally handle.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I'm sick of my job
I'm sick of living in NYC

but I guess those don't count
bluebooger Wrote:I'm sick of my job
I'm sick of living in NYC

but I guess those don't count

Probably not, Bluebooger, unless being sick of your job and sick of living in NYC has landed you in a wheelchair too.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Probably not, Bluebooger, unless being sick of your job and sick of living in NYC has landed you in a wheelchair too.

hilarious That's got to be a great catch phrase...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You stories of continuing in the face of delays and adversary are just what I was talking about in my last thread. I respect how hard you and other cronic sufferers have still maintained your determination and not given up. I suffer from sever depression but I have a great network of friends and family that have supported me through it all. Some of my friends are right here on this forum.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Perpetual Students burbuja0512 36 4,994 03-27-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,080 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 531 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2
  Storage Space Solutions - Students bjcheung77 2 1,078 01-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 599 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE NAMES ST. NICHOLAS BURRUS AND EDWIN DUARTE JR. 2020 STUDENTS OF THE YEAR ashkir 7 1,209 05-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Stimulus Payments & College Students Alpha 5 1,369 03-31-2021, 12:41 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters allvia 8 2,497 03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue University President remarks at 2019 commencement on today' Snowflake students Life Long Learning 2 1,235 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Spain Park High School Students sanantone 1 1,213 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Last Post: cookderosa