Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Getting a Good Job with Distance Learning Degrees?
Sweetgirl19,

I will answer your question from an EC stand point which is pretty much the applies to TESC I believe.
Yes Traditional colleges would take a GPA from either schools because they are accrediated. The best thing to do which is what I did is to call or better off email (so you have it in writing) the graduate college you want to attend and ask them if they would accept a degree from TESC, this will sure boost your confidence at least it did mine.

And from EC experience they can not calculate a GPA from CLEP Exams, but can calculate a final GPA if you have a minumum of 30 credits with a letter grading, which includes credits from Dantes Exams ( are letter graded) EC EXams and traditional credits or other online or long distance courses which are letter graded .

Hope this helped in one way or another
Mapalo
Mapalo;
Thanks a lot! Really did help. I'll take your advice and write to my institution of academic aspiration (whew....mouthful!)....ah, maybe after I get a few more DANTES under my belt...boost my courage you know. Thank you again for your help. Any suggestions for my GRE?
sweetgirl_19 Wrote:Great discussion so far! All this feedback about master's degrees is encouraging to me as a young personSmile. So...the "weird" distance learning people actually can, and DO make it in the real world...wowWink .

Any suggestions for a "babe in the woods" aspiring for higher education (i.e. Masters, Ph.D)? Spec., any ideas of how a GPA works with Thomas Edison? Would a tradational college take my GPA from Thomas Edison courses ONLY, or is the GPA also calculated from my CLEPS/DANTES scores? Any and all ideas, comments, and suggestions would be welcome!

[SIZE="4"]Your GPA is calculated by your courses, not the tests. A pass is a pass for the tests (even TESC's TECEPs) so no letter grade is administered and does not go toward your GPA. And, I hadn't heard that the DANTES are letter-graded. They do give you a "this is what your score would look like" grade though. But anyways, pass the tests, but excel in your courses--especially if you only take a few. Rolleyes [/SIZE]
Casey,

Thanks for the supportive thoughts on my daughter's situation. My husband and I are proud of her regardless of whether those schools decide that they want her. She is a kind and giving which is more important to me than any things that colleges evaluate. Unfortunately, my daughter was disappointed, but now she has decided to go to Amherst College. Which is rated very highly. It seems like a wonderful place and I liked it better there than Harvard. I feel that she will do well there. (Hopefully she'll slow down her pace - her life exhausts ME!)

I told her about what I've been reading here about the online Harvard MA. You never know. Maybe it may be something she might look into down the road.

I am also sharing my experiences with my younger daughter about CLEPs, this forum, IC... planting seeds there...just so she knows what options she has.
LuBee
I finshed all of my credits for a BA in Art from TESC
CLEP Credits:
[SIZE="1"]6 Biology (67)
3 US Hist 1 (67)
6 SS & Hist (68)
3 US Hist 2 (66)
3 Amer Gov (67)
6 Amer Lit (73)
6 Hum (73)
3 Ed Psy (71)
3 H G & D (70)
3 Intro Psy (74)
3 Intro to Soc (75)
6 College Math (68)
6 A & I Lit (72)
[/SIZE]DSST:
[SIZE="1"]3 Intro Computing (65)
3 Here's to Your Health (64)[/SIZE]
Other Credits:
[SIZE="1"]3 PLA Painting 1
3 TECEP Psy of Women (78/100)
3 TECEP Art Hist 2 (81/100)
3 Dept Exam English 1
45 Traditional[/SIZE]
LuBee Wrote:That's if you can get into an Ivy. My daughter did all the right things, had 2300 out of 2400 on her SATs, took all APs this year, straight As, has her Girl Scout Gold Award, is a Lt Gov in Key Club, her high school's most distinquished student, mock trial, raises funds for the Childrens Specialized Hosp, is an artist that went to Gov school for the arts, and the list goes on and on. Yet she was wait-listed or rejected at Ivys she applied to. The competition these days is HUGE. One Ivy admits to giving extra weight to certain areas that my daughter doesn't fit into, such as alumni connections, athletics and minority.

So that discussion on that other forum really was not in reality when some posters talked about needing a big name education. There are only limited spaces in those colleges. So what do employers do? Only hire the limited number of alumni from Ivys? Of course not.

Anyway, the one poster that started that thread seemed to me as though he was one of those that tries to stir things up, as one of the other posters suggested.

your daughter probably would be accepted by some school out of the country like London School of Economics or Oxford....

which I wouldnt be surprised....

besides some of those foriegn british schools show more weight than harvard or yale combined with this new globalized society of the future...

I had read there were 3 prominent members of the British parliament that attended the London University Extension School ...which is the oldest distance education school in the world ....

harvard and yale are really "good ole boys" schools that cater to a specific class of people .... and accept a few people here and there.....so its like winning the lottery ...I am pretty disappointed because its not taking people out of merit but only from connection....

And if your dad is an alumni that gives the school big donations.....
chances are you will get in the school ..those are my guesses....
[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

CLEP

Intro to Psychology- 50
Natural Sciences - 53
Western Civilization II- 57
Humanities - 61
History of US I - 59
Social Sciences & History - 54
Western Civilization I - 67
Principles of Mgmt- 53
Intro to Sociology -64

DANTES

Rise and Fall of Soviet Union - 54
Intro to Middle East- 56
Intro to World Religions- 74
Intro to Computing - 53
Principles of Supervision- 51
Mgmt Info Sys- 53
Intro to Buisness- 59
American Ethics-51
AGS Wrote:your daughter probably would be accepted by some school out of the country like London School of Economics or Oxford....

which I wouldnt be surprised....

besides some of those foriegn british schools show more weight than harvard or yale combined with this new globalized society of the future...

I had read there were 3 prominent members of the British parliament that attended the London University Extension School ...which is the oldest distance education school in the world ....

harvard and yale are really "good ole boys" schools that cater to a specific class of people .... and accept a few people here and there.....so its like winning the lottery ...I am pretty disappointed because its not taking people out of merit but only from connection....

And if your dad is an alumni that gives the school big donations.....
chances are you will get in the school ..those are my guesses....

We never even considered out of the country. What a great thought. Although, she has pretty much decided on Amherst College, but I know she wants to study abroad one semester.

Based on the people that we have met that have gone to those schools (Princeton too) what you said seems to be true, there is often another person in their family that was an alumni.
LuBee
I finshed all of my credits for a BA in Art from TESC
CLEP Credits:
[SIZE="1"]6 Biology (67)
3 US Hist 1 (67)
6 SS & Hist (68)
3 US Hist 2 (66)
3 Amer Gov (67)
6 Amer Lit (73)
6 Hum (73)
3 Ed Psy (71)
3 H G & D (70)
3 Intro Psy (74)
3 Intro to Soc (75)
6 College Math (68)
6 A & I Lit (72)
[/SIZE]DSST:
[SIZE="1"]3 Intro Computing (65)
3 Here's to Your Health (64)[/SIZE]
Other Credits:
[SIZE="1"]3 PLA Painting 1
3 TECEP Psy of Women (78/100)
3 TECEP Art Hist 2 (81/100)
3 Dept Exam English 1
45 Traditional[/SIZE]
abby Wrote:[SIZE="4"]Your GPA is calculated by your courses, not the tests. A pass is a pass for the tests (even TESC's TECEPs) so no letter grade is administered and does not go toward your GPA. And, I hadn't heard that the DANTES are letter-graded [/SIZE]

Abby,

Actually, the DANTES exams do get counted toward your GPA, even though they only list your score (and not a letter grade) on the official score report. Whether your score equates to an "A", "B" or "C" depends on the requirements of your particular college. For example, I scored a 69 on DANTES Organizational Behavior, which is an "A" at Excelsior. However, at another college, that could equal a "B". So we definitely want to get as high a score as we can on the DANTES exams.

Hope that helps! Wink

JoAnne Big Grin
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Abby,

Actually, the DANTES exams do get counted toward your GPA, even though they only list your score (and not a letter grade) on the official score report. Whether your score equates to an "A", "B" or "C" depends on the requirements of your particular college. For example, I scored a 69 on DANTES Organizational Behavior, which is an "A" at Excelsior. However, at another college, that could equal a "B". So we definitely want to get as high a score as we can on the DANTES exams.

Hope that helps! Wink

JoAnne Big Grin

[SIZE="3"]Thanks, JoAnne. No one ever mentioned that little fact to me. hmm. well now I'm not so sure I'll get the 4.0 I thought I would. :eek: oh well. life is life. Smile [/SIZE]
Glad to know this info before I start taking my DANTES (I'm just finishing up the last of my CLEPs). Thanks Kiwi!
Speaking of GPA how do your scores effect your GPA at both Thomas Edison and Excelsior.
Carlos Amador

Houston, TX
62 credits todate
Up next Natural Sciences Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 696 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Degreed raises money for their Learning & Upskilling Platform bjcheung77 0 486 09-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,855 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 704 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 882 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  145 Degrees Alpha 6 1,057 01-07-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Language learning bundle rachel83az 4 1,682 12-17-2021, 11:49 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Eye Level Learning vs Kumon (and/or alternatives) bjcheung77 1 3,292 10-09-2021, 02:15 PM
  Carnegie Learning Acquires Zorbit’s Math bjcheung77 0 595 05-17-2021, 07:31 PM
  Learning Care Group Acquires Young School bjcheung77 0 598 05-17-2021, 06:55 PM