Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Getting a Good Job with Distance Learning Degrees?
carlosamador2006 Wrote:Speaking of GPA how do your scores effect your GPA at both Thomas Edison and Excelsior.

Carlos,

The grade that you receive on the CLEP and TECEP exams does not count towards your GPA, and you only receive a "Pass/Fail" for these exams. However,the grades on the DANTES exams and ECE exams (Excelsior's exams) do count towards your GPA. (You would have to look up what score would equal an "A", etc. for Excelsior and Thomas Edison to see what it does to your GPA).

For example, say you have taken the following exams and classes:

CLEP Business Law - Pass
DANTES Intro to Business - A
DANTES Statistics - C (hey...it was a hard test! Wink )
CLEP Management Infor Systems - Pass
ECE Labor Relations - A
DANTES Intro to Supervision - A
College Algebra (at a university) - B

To get your GPA, you would only add up the classes and the DANTES/ECE exams (in this case that equals 5) and then divide that total by that number of classes/exams. As you probably know, an "A" is counted as 4 points, a "B" is counted as 3 points, and a "C" is counted as 2 points. So for the above class/exams, that would equal 4+2+4+4+3=17. Take 17 divided by 5 to get a GPA of 3.40.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but maybe it will help someone out there! :p

JoAnne

P.S. One thing I am not entirely SURE about, however, is if ALL of the CLEP's are now "pass/fail" only...anyone know for sure??
Joanne
That really helps so much, and much appreciated
Yes all CLEP exams are pass/fail at least with EC
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Carlos,

P.S. One thing I am not entirely SURE about, however, is if ALL of the CLEP's are now "pass/fail" only...anyone know for sure??

Kiwi Lover (JoAnne),

First off it is nice to hear from you. We definitely have to catch up.

But to answer your question. At Excelsior (Our School) the only clep that is graded is the English Literature Clep. 67(A) 55(B) 50(C also the minimum to pass).

All other cleps are PASS,FAIL.

Don G.
Don G. -Atlanta, GA
A.S. Liberal Arts , Excelsior College,3/2007
B.S. Business, Excelsior College,"On the Way"

"Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will"
--Dr. Robert Anthony
I have applied for a federal job that will start me at a higher GS pay rating if I graduate with a 3.0 GPA by the time they hire me. Like most agencies, they don't care where the degree comes from as long as it is legally accredited.
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
AGS

For what it's worth, I disagree with your statement :

'harvard and yale are really "good ole boys" schools that cater to a specific class of people'

In fact, it's quite the opposite (e.g. Harvard Extension undergrad/grad degrees).

Harvard's ALM-IT seems to bend over backwards to make an Ivy League education affordable to anyone (please show me anywhere else where you can get an Ivy League education for under $20k - I would love to be mistaken in this regard). But let me clarify, you do have to have put the time and effort in. I average 10-15 hours a week with my Harvard ALM-IT classes and while it's hard - it's also easily within reach of anyone who wants one bad enough.

I will concur that Harvard is NOT 100% online. For their masters degree one has to do 1 class via summer session in-residence.

My point being, if you want Ivy League - it's there. It's not easy - but what worth-while in life is easy?

Just my 2 cents...
pugman Wrote:AGS

For what it's worth, I disagree with your statement :

'harvard and yale are really "good ole boys" schools that cater to a specific class of people'

In fact, it's quite the opposite (e.g. Harvard Extension undergrad/grad degrees).

Harvard's ALM-IT seems to bend over backwards to make an Ivy League education affordable to anyone (please show me anywhere else where you can get an Ivy League education for under $20k - I would love to be mistaken in this regard). But let me clarify, you do have to have put the time and effort in. I average 10-15 hours a week with my Harvard ALM-IT classes and while it's hard - it's also easily within reach of anyone who wants one bad enough.

I will concur that Harvard is NOT 100% online. For their masters degree one has to do 1 class via summer session in-residence.

My point being, if you want Ivy League - it's there. It's not easy - but what worth-while in life is easy?

Just my 2 cents...

harvard extension is an exception.....however, some of the harvard grads frown upon the extension school like warrant officers put down west point grads down....

i have read an article a hollywood celebrity graduated from harvard extension school.....
[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

CLEP

Intro to Psychology- 50
Natural Sciences - 53
Western Civilization II- 57
Humanities - 61
History of US I - 59
Social Sciences & History - 54
Western Civilization I - 67
Principles of Mgmt- 53
Intro to Sociology -64

DANTES

Rise and Fall of Soviet Union - 54
Intro to Middle East- 56
Intro to World Religions- 74
Intro to Computing - 53
Principles of Supervision- 51
Mgmt Info Sys- 53
Intro to Buisness- 59
American Ethics-51

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 691 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Degreed raises money for their Learning & Upskilling Platform bjcheung77 0 482 09-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,832 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 701 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 881 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  145 Degrees Alpha 6 1,054 01-07-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Language learning bundle rachel83az 4 1,679 12-17-2021, 11:49 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Eye Level Learning vs Kumon (and/or alternatives) bjcheung77 1 3,238 10-09-2021, 02:15 PM
  Carnegie Learning Acquires Zorbit’s Math bjcheung77 0 591 05-17-2021, 07:31 PM
  Learning Care Group Acquires Young School bjcheung77 0 595 05-17-2021, 06:55 PM