Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates?
Lets say I have my GED and finished an RA Associates degree and want to study abroad. In Europe the GED isnt recognized in many countries but the combination of an AS and the HSD is. Are there any programs which I could just transfer in my College Credits and get a legit accredited HSD?
As far as I'm aware, no. That isn't a thing in the US. You're typically either required to sit the full 4 years of high school or you take the GED. That's it.

In some states, there might be an online competency-based "high school" like this one for Wisconsin: https://www.eachieve.com/enrollment/competency-program/ However, there is no guarantee that it will be received any better than a GED since the diploma wouldn't come from a "real" school.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Yes, you can do something like that but still you will have to do a lot of the courses of a normal high school student. Each institution will accept the credits they evaluate as equivalent to a course or not. In other words you can transfer in some credits but not all. At least 25% will have to be done at the school itself in the best of cases as far as I know.

You need to find a high school that allow you to transfer credits and accept ACE courses or university courses. The big "but" are 2. First be aware that in Europe many online high schools can not be recognized in some countries and in others they can be recognized (legislation of some countries exclude exclusive online centers at high school level to be able to grant a High School Diploma)... Brick and mortar usually do not have this problem. The second is that you still need to take some classes for a high school diploma. Depends on the transfer policy. Also can be that you are not accepted to get an equivalency of a high school diploma per se. Butt they can accept you online HS diploma to gain access to the university if you already have an Associate degree. This are two different things, one is recognition of an official level of equivalency (in country X you will have a paper that grant you the rights of a person that graduated from High School) and the other to show proof that you can go to university (You can be an applicant to a University due to prior education without granting legal validity to this prior education). Again each country is different, and my guess is that sometimes you can find minor differences in the states inside a country in some concrete cases. A point of relevance will also be that any high school you want to be accepted in Europe should be recognized by a Regional accredited organization or be a public high school as far as I'm aware. Check that also.

In my opinion will be better to do a bachelor and then with a bachelor finished you can access Europe universities quite more easily. A bachelor from a RA university from USA usually grants you access to other bachelors or Masters in Europe. NA universities most of the time not for what I found, but they should be exceptions or countries that do not care if it is NA or RA. Maybe somebody can bring some light to which countries accept NA without a problem in Europe.

As per the accredited high school programs where you can transfer credits and get a legit degree are many, but still need to take some classes with them. Of these online high school each follows to curriculum of the state they are placed. This can show that the programs and number of required credits can be different form state A to State B, but usually quite similar.
Also different online schools, different speeds and ways to evaluate you. In some will be a lot papers, and in others exams...check that out for your preferred way of learning and if you really dislike writing essays have it in mind when you ask information.
If you have an Associate degree I guess you are over 18. In this case you should look at a High School focused on adults learners. Maybe suit you better in speed and the didactic are more suitable (less boring).
Examples of Online high Schools are Penn Foster, James Madison and Excel. Are many others but this appear in different places and sometimes have been commented on the forum.
One last thing, never forget to ask for the price of the complete program or how much you have to pay to graduate. They have different methods of payment and prices associated. Per example Penn Foster if you pay all at once is cheaper.
Hope it helps.
(01-31-2023, 03:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote: As far as I'm aware, no. That isn't a thing in the US. You're typically either required to sit the full 4 years of high school or you take the GED. That's it.

In some states, there might be an online competency-based "high school" like this one for Wisconsin: https://www.eachieve.com/enrollment/competency-program/ However, there is no guarantee that it will be received any better than a GED since the diploma wouldn't come from a "real" school.

In this case its just there to check a box for potential schools in switzerland that require a HSD

(01-31-2023, 06:33 AM)Kab Wrote: Yes, you can do something like that but still you will have to do a lot of the courses of a normal high school student. Each institution will accept the credits they evaluate as equivalent to a course or not. In other words you can transfer in some credits but not all. At least 25% will have to be done at the school itself in the best of cases as far as I know.

You need to find a high school that allow you to transfer credits and accept ACE courses or university courses. The big "but" are 2. First be aware that in Europe many online high schools can not be recognized in some countries and in others they can be recognized (legislation of some countries exclude exclusive online centers at high school level to be able to grant a High School Diploma)... Brick and mortar usually do not have this problem. The second is that you still need to take some classes for a high school diploma. Depends on the transfer policy. Also can be that you are not accepted to get an equivalency of a high school diploma per se. Butt they can accept you online HS diploma to gain access to the university if you already have an Associate degree. This are two different things, one is recognition of an official level of equivalency (in country X you will have a paper that grant you the rights of a person that graduated from High School) and the other to show proof that you can go to university (You can be an applicant to a University due to prior education without granting legal validity to this  prior education). Again each country is different, and my guess is that sometimes you can find minor differences in the states inside a country in some concrete cases. A point of relevance will also be that any high school you want to be accepted in Europe should be recognized by a Regional accredited organization or be a public high school as far as I'm aware. Check that also.

In my opinion will be better to do a bachelor and then with a bachelor finished you can access Europe universities quite more easily. A bachelor from a RA university from USA usually grants you access to other bachelors or Masters in Europe. NA universities most of the time not for what I found, but they should be exceptions or countries that do not care if it is NA or RA. Maybe somebody can bring some light to which countries accept NA without a problem in Europe.  

As per the accredited high school programs where you can transfer credits and get a legit degree are many, but still need to take some classes with them. Of these online high school each follows to curriculum of the state they are placed. This can show that the programs and number of required credits can be different form state A to State B, but usually quite similar.
Also different online schools, different speeds and ways to evaluate you. In some will be a lot papers, and in others exams...check that out for your preferred way of learning and if you really dislike writing essays have it in mind when you ask information.
If you have an Associate degree I guess you are over 18. In this case you should look at a High School focused on adults learners. Maybe suit you better in speed and the didactic are more suitable (less boring).
Examples of Online high Schools are Penn Foster, James Madison and Excel. Are many others but this appear in different places and sometimes have been commented on the forum.
One last thing, never forget to ask for the price of the complete program or how much you have to pay to graduate. They have different methods of payment and prices associated. Per example Penn Foster if you pay all at once is cheaper.
Hope it helps.
thank you for your thorough answer. I want to get the HSD because its part of the HSD+Associates requirement many european states have for american students. I would go for a bachelor but only when I get deferred from some of my dream american schools that would not accept me if i already had a bachelor if that would be the case i would just go to europe where its cheaper.

(01-31-2023, 06:33 AM)Kab Wrote: Yes, you can do something like that but still you will have to do a lot of the courses of a normal high school student. Each institution will accept the credits they evaluate as equivalent to a course or not. In other words you can transfer in some credits but not all. At least 25% will have to be done at the school itself in the best of cases as far as I know.

You need to find a high school that allow you to transfer credits and accept ACE courses or university courses. The big "but" are 2. First be aware that in Europe many online high schools can not be recognized in some countries and in others they can be recognized (legislation of some countries exclude exclusive online centers at high school level to be able to grant a High School Diploma)... Brick and mortar usually do not have this problem. The second is that you still need to take some classes for a high school diploma. Depends on the transfer policy. Also can be that you are not accepted to get an equivalency of a high school diploma per se. Butt they can accept you online HS diploma to gain access to the university if you already have an Associate degree. This are two different things, one is recognition of an official level of equivalency (in country X you will have a paper that grant you the rights of a person that graduated from High School) and the other to show proof that you can go to university (You can be an applicant to a University due to prior education without granting legal validity to this  prior education). Again each country is different, and my guess is that sometimes you can find minor differences in the states inside a country in some concrete cases. A point of relevance will also be that any high school you want to be accepted in Europe should be recognized by a Regional accredited organization or be a public high school as far as I'm aware. Check that also.

Hope it helps.
what do you think of University of Nebraska High School. They are self paced and since I went to high school here in germany up to the 11th grade I guess after transfer credit evaluation I would have to only knock out a few credits which is manageable as i could just do courses through umpi for example while doing the HSD

(01-31-2023, 03:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote: As far as I'm aware, no. That isn't a thing in the US. You're typically either required to sit the full 4 years of high school or you take the GED. That's it.

What do you think of UTHS or UNHS? UNHS is self paced and I attended high school in germany til 11th grade, I could get some credits evaluated as there are some german international students that go to UTHS and UNHS.
(01-31-2023, 06:33 AM)Kab Wrote: NA universities most of the time not for what I found, but they should be exceptions or countries that do not care if it is NA or RA. Maybe somebody can bring some light to which countries accept NA without a problem in Europe.  

IIRC, both the Netherlands and Croatia appear to accept NA degrees. The wording is such that they'll accept any degrees that are approved by the US Department of Education. Technically, that applies to NA institutions. But I'm not sure if anyone has actually gotten, for instance, a UoPeople degree and used it in any of those countries.

I think Spain might accept them, though I'd have to go digging to see if NA would = titulo propio degrees in Spain or if they'd be considered full degrees in their own right.

France doesn't appear to accept them, at least not for access to higher education. I'm not sure if they'd accept an NA degree for a random non-licensed profession (such as using UoPeople's BSCS degree to get a software engineering job in Sophia Antipolis, France), but they probably would.

IReallyNeedADegree Wrote:In this case its just there to check a box for potential schools in switzerland that require a HSD

Honestly, I wouldn't even trust that it'd do that. You could be wasting a lot of time and money that you could be using to just get a Bachelor's degree instead.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Haven't read the whole thread yet. I don't know if this was mentioned.

If I were in that situation, I'd contact NARHS. https://www.narhs.com/ They might require you to take one course that they evaluate. Their handbook is on the website under the tab called "online resources" Take a look at that and they have all kinds of way that they look at GED for credit, and if you have an associates they can award High School Diploma. They still may have to have you take one course with them and it could be done easily if they ask that. Contact them.

It is accredited. (edit to add, However, I don't know how it would be viewed in other countries of course)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(01-31-2023, 08:06 AM)P226mem Wrote: Haven't read the whole thread yet.  I don't know if this was mentioned.

If I were in that situation, I'd contact NARHS.  https://www.narhs.com/   They might require you to take one course that they evaluate.   Their handbook is on the website under the tab called "online resources"   Take a look at that and they have all kinds of way that they look at GED for credit, and if you have an associates they can award High School Diploma.  They still may have to have you take one course with them and it could be done easily if they ask that.  Contact them.

It is accredited.  (edit to add, However, I don't know how it would be viewed in other countries of course)

thank you for your reply. sounds great. afaik in finland, sweden and switzerland as long as the diploma and the degree are accredited in the US its fine with them.
Answering to your question about University of Nebraska High School they look very respectable, expensive and low speed (minimum 5 weeks for course up to 52). The low speed will be great if it was for learning and preparing for university, but you have an associate degree...you should have all that.
web page with fees: https://highschool.nebraska.edu/forms-an...ition-fees
Web page with transfer policy: https://highschool.nebraska.edu/forms-an...ng-credits
It sounds good and probably has good quality but the price is high for just fulfilling a box. Really for this price do a bachelor.
If you were a teenager with 14 or 15 and had to go to an online school, with economic resources to spare, sounds a good place to go but I lack more funded information about it.
(01-31-2023, 04:51 PM)Kab Wrote: Answering to your question about University of Nebraska High School they look very respectable, expensive and low speed (minimum 5 weeks for course up to 52). The low speed will be great if it was for learning and preparing for university, but you have an associate degree...you should have all that.
web page with fees: https://highschool.nebraska.edu/forms-an...ition-fees
Web page with transfer policy: https://highschool.nebraska.edu/forms-an...ng-credits
It sounds good and probably has good quality but the price is high for just fulfilling a box. Really for this price do a bachelor.
If you were a teenager with 14 or 15 and had to go to an online school, with economic resources to spare, sounds a good place to go but I lack more funded information about it.

As stated above I am trying to postpone getting my bachelors til i applied to all my dream schools for the undergraduate program, if they reject me I will start doing the bachelor but until then i have to go this way.
Not sure what the rules are in your state, but you could be a homeschooled student and give yourself a high school diploma. Every state has rules, so you'd have to figure it out. But it might be easy depending on where you live.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 306 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,313 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,589 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Gas Prices Hit Record High Averaging Over $5 a Gallon in California LevelUP 8 940 03-07-2022, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Blkqueen8
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 922 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 574 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,128 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,692 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 683 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,776 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore