Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody else like IKEA furniture
Ok just bought this coffee table from IKEA for my bedroom.IKEA PS 2012 Coffee table - dark turquoise - IKEA I like the fact that it has wheels since I like to snack while I'm at my desk or on my bed. Now I'm running out of blue color choices for furniture. So now I'm thinking about buying Threshold brand furniture from Target since they have some blue options. This is the most fun I've had buying furniture, makes me think being an interior decorator would be a blast. I've been in and out of IKEA so much the last few months, even some of the employees greet me by name lol.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
I haven't read this whole thread, but just the title made me really hungry for some $3.99 Swedish meatballs. Lingonberry sauce... yummmmmmmmmm
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Checked out the Threshold desks and tables at Target. I did "the shake test" and apparently a lot of others did too because most of them felt wobbly. Feel sorry for the next guy who touches the furniture after me because he will be a Jenga LOSER. Much of the furniture in Target is made in China and in this case I have to give the edge to the Swedes. For the price, I found it is extremely difficult to find something better than IKEA. My neighbor at my previous residence owns a furniture business and I ended up buying my sofa set from him. But originally I was going to buy all my furniture from him but unfortunately for him he sold me on IKEA. He told me that his business slowed down so much that he had to supplement his income by assembling furniture on the side. Guess what furniture he assembles the most? Yes, that four letter word in caps I can't live without. And on top of that he mentioned to me that surprisingly IKEA stuff is really great for the price. I live walking distance from Ethan Allen and other well known furniture stores but I drive 15 miles to IKEA because I prefer contemporary furniture and their competitive pricing doesn't hurt. When I left Target I couldn't leave empty handed so I bought some Swedish Fish...showing my loyalty to the Swedes.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
taylor Wrote:Checked out the Threshold desks and tables at Target. I did "the shake test" and apparently a lot of others did too because most of them felt wobbly. Feel sorry for the next guy who touches the furniture after me because he will be a Jenga LOSER. Much of the furniture in Target is made in China and in this case I have to give the edge to the Swedes. For the price, I found it is extremely difficult to find something better than IKEA. My neighbor at my previous residence owns a furniture business and I ended up buying my sofa set from him. But originally I was going to buy all my furniture from him but unfortunately for him he sold me on IKEA. He told me that his business slowed down so much that he had to supplement his income by assembling furniture on the side. Guess what furniture he assembles the most? Yes, that four letter word in caps I can't live without. And on top of that he mentioned to me that surprisingly IKEA stuff is really great for the price. I live walking distance from Ethan Allen and other well known furniture stores but I drive 15 miles to IKEA because I prefer contemporary furniture and their competitive pricing doesn't hurt. When I left Target I couldn't leave empty handed so I bought some Swedish Fish...showing my loyalty to the Swedes.

I agree, I challenge anyone to find higher quality furniture in the same price point as Ikea. Of course if you want to spend a zillion dollars, but for those of us who still buy it in a box and assemble it ourselves, who makes better than Ikea? (Ryoder?)

P.S. as beautiful as Ethan Allen is, I've only had the pleasure of window shopping but I think given the opportunity, I still would't drop a fortune on furniture. Styles change, colors change, you move, and it gets replaced. I have heard people say this or that "lasts a lifetime" but who the hell cares when no one saves it a lifetime? BTW, no, your kids don't want your sofa and dresser after 20 years.
I took the day off to accept delivery of new IKEA bookshelves. I received an automated call that they would be here between 3pm and 7pm. It is now 9pm and no bookshelves. Did anyone call me to explain the delay? No they did not. However, I did call IKEA myself and a freaking hour later I finally spoke with someone who informs me their driver has his phone off. I don't know when I'll be getting my bookshelves, but I'm not real happy. :mad: IKEA's customer service is absolutely horrible.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
I like IKEA but there are none nearby I drove to Toronto Sunday to go to the Hockey Hall of Fame and passed TWO Ikea stores!! Why couldn't they have built one of them in the US?

Jennifer I beg to differ The desk I am sitting at right now is my one and only purchase from Ethan Allen it folds up to look like a chifferobe, it has seen daily use for at least 15 years and still looks fine (on the outside I have killed the inside) but it still all works. I love it because my office is also my guest room and when I close up my desk it takes up no room and looks neat. I couldn't find anything like it even on Google images so here it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1109[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1110[/ATTACH]

Since I do not have an IKEA near by I do have my second favorite place to buy cheap decent furniture that is The Christmas Tree Shop I have 2 bookcases 5 tables and a display cabinet
from them all under $100 and all looking great. For any of you who don't have a shop near you their catch phrase is "Don't you just love a bargain"

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">IMAG1489.jpg (Size: 91.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">IMAG1490.jpg (Size: 92.32 KB / Downloads: 0)
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:I like IKEA but there are none nearby I drove to Toronto Sunday to go to the Hockey Hall of Fame and passed TWO Ikea stores!! Why couldn't they have built one of them in the US?

Jennifer I beg to differ The desk I am sitting at right now is my one and only purchase from Ethan Allen it folds up to look like a chifferobe, it has seen daily use for at least 15 years and still looks fine (on the outside I have killed the inside) but it still all works. I love it because my office is also my guest room and when I close up my desk it takes up no room and looks neat. I couldn't find anything like it even on Google images so here it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1109[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1110[/ATTACH]

Since I do not have an IKEA near by I do have my second favorite place to buy cheap decent furniture that is The Christmas Tree Shop I have 2 bookcases 5 tables and a display cabinet
from them all under $100 and all looking great. For any of you who don't have a shop near you their catch phrase is "Don't you just love a bargain"

We don't disagree, I love Ethan Allen. But your desk didn't cost $79 lol
Jennifer what I was saying is sometimes it is worth spending the extra money. If I remember correctly my desk cost about $800 I know that is not a drop in the bucket, but it has been moved up and down stairs in our old house and to our new house. We don't remember when we bought it but it is at least 15 years old and I am hard on furniture, if I had bought something cheaper I would have had to replace the sliding keyboard shelf and the sliding printer shelf by now and the table would not fold or come down anymore. My point being once in a while (Not on a sofa) it is worth it to spend a little more.

As you said the $49-$99 tables in my livingroom and kitchen are not meant to last 20 years and my children will not want them. That is part of the reason I do not have a couch in my living room I have not found one I like that is not what I consider an unreasonable price. So instead we have tables and cheap chairs for now.

The only other expensive furniture we have is a dining room set we bought 28 years ago. My kids may never want it but that is OK I am happy to use it for the rest of my life.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
burbuja0512 Wrote:I haven't read this whole thread, but just the title made me really hungry for some $3.99 Swedish meatballs. Lingonberry sauce... yummmmmmmmmm

I don't like their gray colored meatballs...btw same color as my Hemnes desk that I bought from them. I like me some brown meatballs bathing in some red marinara sauce. Again I may be biased but I really believe the best meatballs are made in the Bi-State (Tri-State) area, sorry I had to leave you out Connecticut. It's pretty much Jersey and NY. And when I say NY I'm not even counting the whole state, just the 5 boroughs. If somebody from Albany or Buffalo tries to include themselves, I'd say FUHGETTABOUTIT! And what does this premier meatball maker typically look like? It's a nice elderly mom with little chubby sausage fingers putting in some TLC into everything she touches. At the dinner table there's always a guy named Vinny but his legal name is Vinchenzo.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
taylor Wrote:I don't like their gray colored meatballs...btw same color as my Hemnes desk that I bought from them. I like me some brown meatballs bathing in some red marinara sauce. Again I may be biased but I really believe the best meatballs are made in the Bi-State (Tri-State) area, sorry I had to leave you out Connecticut. It's pretty much Jersey and NY. And when I say NY I'm not even counting the whole state, just the 5 boroughs. If somebody from Albany or Buffalo tries to include themselves, I'd say FUHGETTABOUTIT! And what does this premier meatball maker typically look like? It's a nice elderly mom with little chubby sausage fingers putting in some TLC into everything she touches. At the dinner table there's always a guy named Vinny but his legal name is Vinchenzo.

All the best food comes from the tri-state area, Connecticut has the best pizza. And hate to disagree but their meatballs are pretty amazing too, no one makes better meatball grinders, lol. (no one else calls them that either do they? lol)
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits