Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody else like IKEA furniture
cookderosa Wrote:My entire school rooms is courtesy of Ikea! I'd never been to one before moving to NC, and at first I thought it was too contemporary, but shelves I bought were SUPER strong and interchangeable and not hard to put together at all (plus low cost!! $) So, I'm a fan! I'm trying to post a pic, still not good at doing that into a post lol. Here it is:
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263...1376432113

Now I feel really un-accomplished. Sheesh, my 'school room' looks like it was set up by the tasmanian devil after his lost his vision.
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

cookderosa Wrote:My entire school rooms is courtesy of Ikea! I'd never been to one before moving to NC, and at first I thought it was too contemporary, but shelves I bought were SUPER strong and interchangeable and not hard to put together at all (plus low cost!! $) So, I'm a fan! I'm trying to post a pic, still not good at doing that into a post lol. Here it is:

That's really cool. It is a little one room school house.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
There's an IKEA store a bus-ride away from me..and if I'm buying anything bulky, I'm sure my son can bring his van. Sure, I like things from IKEA, but they sell all their best - and unique - stuff to my daughter-in-law. She has the "eye." Smile I only get to buy the things they have 10,000 of, but that's fine by me.

I'm packed to move; I have been for 5 years - just haven't found another place yet. Having disassembled my regular bookshelves, I found I still needed some for all the new books that keep showing up, so I managed to fit three of the narrow IKEA Lerberg shelf units in my hall. They're durable, metal and will last forever. Well-designed, under $20 each and I brought them home easily on the bus! I have a trestle-desk for my computer and a table; I built both mostly from IKEA parts - legs, top etc. They're both 20 years old and will probably last 100 more!

Funny thing -a lot of my stuff is antique - but the IKEA items fit right in. That pleases me no end.

"Hacking IKEA" - making stuff from IKEA components - has become a popular art. Here's one of the main sites - there are plenty more.

IKEA Hackers

Johann
Don't like it at all. The stuff is low quality and I am not a fan of the look.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Johann Wrote:There's an IKEA store a bus-ride away from me..and if I'm buying anything bulky, I'm sure my son can bring his van. Sure, I like things from IKEA, but they sell all their best - and unique - stuff to my daughter-in-law. She has the "eye." Smile I only get to buy the things they have 10,000 of, but that's fine by me.

I'm packed to move; I have been for 5 years - just haven't found another place yet. Having disassembled my regular bookshelves, I found I still needed some for all the new books that keep showing up, so I managed to fit three of the narrow IKEA Lerberg shelf units in my hall. They're durable, metal and will last forever. Well-designed, under $20 each and I brought them home easily on the bus! I have a trestle-desk for my computer and a table; I built both mostly from IKEA parts - legs, top etc. They're both 20 years old and will probably last 100 more!

Funny thing -a lot of my stuff is antique - but the IKEA items fit right in. That pleases me no end.

"Hacking IKEA" - making stuff from IKEA components - has become a popular art. Here's one of the main sites - there are plenty more.

IKEA Hackers

Johann

OHH MYYY GOSHH I had no idea!!! Wow!
My entire home office has a look similar to the Cookderosa's school room using the Billy system.
I have the birch colored cabinets with frosted glass surrounding me, and my computer desk is the jerker, and my electronics bench is the frederik(newer version, but not as good).

I also built my wifes business lobby with many items from ikea.

Love ikea hackers, and frequently visit IKEA FANS | THE IKEA Fan Community

Oh yeah, I also love another Swedish company, Volvo.
Saved my life, and two others in the car, in a full blown sandwich between two trucks.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
cookderosa Wrote:My entire school rooms is courtesy of Ikea! ... Here it is:

Jennifer - IKEA should be paying you for that picture! It would be the all-time best ad I've ever seen! I said to my son a while ago that I want my next living room to resemble "a really good school." You've inspired me!

Maybe they could pay you in furniture. Sure -- that'd be good, wouldn't it? Smile

Johann
Johann Wrote:Jennifer - IKEA should be paying you for that picture! It would be the all-time best ad I've ever seen! I said to my son a while ago that I want my next living room to resemble "a really good school." You've inspired me!

Maybe they could pay you in furniture. Sure -- that'd be good, wouldn't it? Smile

Johann

Ok, now you are making me blush. Seriously, I just screwed them together and bolted them to the wall. I didn't do anything special lol. But, I really appreciate your plan....free furniture....now THAT'S an idea! Smile
Between Ikea Hacker sites and ApartmentTherapy , you can really see how versatile Ikea stuff is.
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits
cookderosa Wrote:Ok, now you are making me blush. Seriously, I just screwed them together and bolted them to the wall. I didn't do anything special lol. But, I really appreciate your plan....free furniture....now THAT'S an idea! Smile

It should be a commercial. Know why? I've been trying to remind my hubs of how great our apartment in Chicago looked, versus what we've pieced together from pricey department store decor since we moved. I flashed him your picture, though, and we're planning a 700-mile road trip with a couple other friends in a couple months after we do some pre-planning. Woo! IKEA, here we come!
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012