Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applying for two baccalaureate degrees within the same graduation cycle
I've finished my degree program for a BA in computer science and based on my tentative evaluation when I first transferred into TESU it looks like I now also have enough credits for a BA in liberal studies.

My questions are

1) Can my completed capstone for the computer science course also be used toward the capstone requirement for the liberal studies program, or will I have to complete a second capstone if I want the liberal studies degree?

2) Will my residency waiver count toward both degrees, or will I have to pay a second residency waiver fee for a second degree?
Good job! Attach a screenshot of both academic evaluations just to be on the safe side.
Just make sure you have up to 9 credits that overlap in the AOS/Concentration area

1) You just need 1 capstone for the both of them if you are graduating the same time
2) Also just need 1 residency waiver fee if they are at the same graduation cycle
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Instead of BALS, check to see if you are a couple of classes away from another degree. Getting a BALS with your CS degree doesn't really add any value to your degree. The BALS is just a generic degree and no employer is going to care that you have it if you have a CS degree. On the other hand, adding another actual concentration could be useful.

How close are you to an ASNSM Math degree? As a CS graduate, it might be worth it to get the math one even if you need to take a couple of extra classes to do so. Your CS degree still trumps an associate, but having a "math minor" in the form of an associate's degree would still be more relevant and impressive than having a BALS.
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, rpmranger, tallpilot
Agree, adding a BALS is not worth the paper it's printed on—if you already will have a BA in CS. There is no value to adding it, unless you just personally want to do it for yourself (which is understandable). Adding another area of study is different story, that could actually be useful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rpmranger's post:
  • BrianFallon
(09-09-2020, 01:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Good job!  Attach a screenshot of both academic evaluations just to be on the safe side.  
Just make sure you have up to 9 credits that overlap in the AOS/Concentration area

1) You just need 1 capstone for the both of them if you are graduating the same time
2) Also just need 1 residency waiver fee if they are at the same graduation cycle

Wouldn't TESU award *one* BA degree, but list the two concentrations (CS and Liberal Studies) on the transcript?  Or is BALS a separate piece of paper?

They are both a BA degree...
For TESU only, I generally look at whatever courses the student has and see if there is an option to get an extra cert/associates/concentration for no extra cost.  It all depends on what the OP (Malkina) wants to do, if they want an extra degree or an extra concentration.  The formality to obtaining either is different... It'll be two degrees if the OP has both programs in the program academic list.  It'll be one degree if they use the form for adding a second area of study or a second degree.

If the OP was done with the BALS and then wanted to add the BACS, great.  If you already have the BACS and don't need to do any work for the BALS, then I would say, why not?  Especially if you have a concentration for the BALS, it'll be better than no concentration.  Having said that, if you need a couple more courses for the BALS, then determine if it is worth the extra energy/money/time to get those done.  You decide if it's worth it or not...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you for your replies everyone. To clarify, I was interested in being awarded a second degree, not a second area of study within a single BA.

However, my academic advisor has informed me that because both the computer science program and the liberal studies program are within the same school at TESU, Heavin School of Arts and Sciences, the two degrees cannot be conferred separately, they would have to be a double area of study within one degree.

Furthermore, because the BA in liberal studies is considered a "General Studies" degree, it cannot be used as a second area of study within a degree.

Does this sound right to everyone? I know that occasionally TESU's advisors give contradictory and incorrect information.
Yes, all of that information sounds accurate. And if they were separate schools then you'd have to do another capstone. So your choices are:
  • Pick another AOS in the BA: Depending on what you have done, this could be a significant amount of work. It might not be. But it could be.
  • Go for a BSBA or a BS: This is definitely even more work and requires paying for another capstone.
  • Pick up a computer science, mathematics, or business administration Associate's degree: The CS one is likely redundant because you're getting the bachelor's, math might require an extra SDC course or two, and business administration will require even more classes. These three associate's degrees do not require a capstone and, thus, can be picked up "for free" so long as you have the required credits.
(09-09-2020, 11:50 AM)Malkina Wrote: Thank you for your replies everyone. To clarify, I was interested in being awarded a second degree, not a second area of study within a single BA.

However, my academic advisor has informed me that because both the computer science program and the liberal studies program are within the same school at TESU, Heavin School of Arts and Sciences, the two degrees cannot be conferred separately, they would have to be a double area of study within one degree.

Furthermore, because the BA in liberal studies is considered a "General Studies" degree, it cannot be used as a second area of study within a degree.

Does this sound right to everyone? I know that occasionally TESU's advisors give contradictory and incorrect information.

Correct.  The BALS is like the General Management BSBA or the Technical Studies BS.  It is a degree without a specified AoS although it could include a 'concentration.'  As was mentioned earlier it is better than no degree at all but combined with a computer science AoS is worthless.  Combine CS with something specific (mathematics comes to mind, but English would help many technical people, psychology if you wanted to go into UI design or surveillance capitalism scumbaggery) and it might be more marketable.  It would also probably be a pile more classes.  Graduating, getting a new job or a promotion then seeking a master's degree would probably be a better use of your time and money if you aren't finished chasing paper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 531 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,387 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 771 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,440 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When to apply for graduation? Kones 1 246 01-06-2024, 02:13 PM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,203 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How to enroll after graduation? No INTERNSHIP!! mt_1994 9 727 10-19-2023, 01:21 PM
  What to do after applying? elcastor21 1 281 09-06-2023, 07:43 PM
  TESU Multiple Degrees Policy natshar 24 1,481 08-28-2023, 10:05 PM
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 732 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM