Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apprenticeship is the new unknown calling for some!
(02-02-2022, 10:19 AM)uncapentin Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 09:56 AM)Pats20 Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 05:54 PM)Alpha Wrote: Many people are disenchanted with the prospect of going to college.  It's not a statement about their capabilities.  It's a statement of the unattractiveness of the outcome.  College debt and unfulfilling employment.  Not everyone is suited to be an Accountant or a Programmer.  Plus, I generally think it's good to have some of those skills to help with day to day problems that come up.  I'm reminded of an old film comedy where a character calls an Electrician to change a lightbulb.  I have an interest in electrical power generation and I think someone could parlay those skills into a very nice career if they had some ambition to do so.
I absolutely agree with you. College isn’t for everyone although Most of these trades require schooling. My brother would work everyday learning the hands on and then go to school 3 nights a week learning the technical aspects of it for 5 years. My grandfather the same thing. Those  guys were/are Two of the most intelligent people I’ve ever met. 
I also work with a master electrician who also has a degree in biology. Very intelligent man. 

These guys make very nice livings.  There’s a reason there’s a shortage. The schooling is hard and the job Is very tough and demanding. That’s why they make $40, $50, $60+ Some $100 per hour. For many years my grandfather left out on Monday morning and got home Friday evening. Hats off to all of them.

Where do you live that most of those trades require a lot of schooling ? That's not a norm across the states I'm pretty sure.

Here where we are, the CC's have programs, they are free and can be done in less than a year (sometimes in just a semester depending).  Plumbing, HVAC, Carpentry, etc.

They also are not forcing anyone to work a million hours a week.  Obviously my 18yo will take as much OT as he can to learn and make money.  But at some point, once he's where he wants to be, he will not be working those hours and would quit and work somewhere else, or start his own business.

People in the trades have the upper hand at this point.  They do not have to stick around if they're treated badly.

Heck, with the crisis we have going now, many people are opting out of work entirely.  Nobody is sticking around to be treated like crap.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • uncapentin
Electrical/ plumbing 4-5 years.
(02-02-2022, 01:35 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Electrical/ plumbing 4-5 years.

But it's not like college, where you're going to school for 4-5 years before you make money in your field (generally).  It's working and making a good living AND doing schooling and whatnot until you're licensed.  Not even close to the same thing.

If you were an accounting major in college, your chances of landing a good accounting job making $40k starting your 2nd month of college are about nil.  Your chances of making $40k a couple of months after starting a plumbing apprenticeship are very good.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • uncapentin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 526 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Level 7 - AI & Data Science Apprenticeship (funded, UK only) bjcheung77 1 597 01-20-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Apprenticeship to Degree Alpha 1 649 06-19-2022, 06:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Multiverse (Apprenticeship Startup) bjcheung77 0 427 11-01-2021, 06:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New WGU IT degrees coming: BS Cyber Security (June), BS/MS Computer Science (unknown) jsd 18 4,385 04-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Last Post: ajs1976
  Associate's degree for Apprenticeship frankshorey 2 750 11-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Last Post: frankshorey
  Calling all Tesc degree plan GURUS. You know who you are! managerman 9 896 10-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Last Post: managerman
  Calling All Course Experts!! ShotoJuku 7 1,001 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Calling All IT Pros...Need Info! marianne202 3 1,054 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Last Post: marianne202
  Calling Previous "Microbiology" test takers tyrell9 0 601 03-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Last Post: tyrell9