Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New WGU IT degrees coming: BS Cyber Security (June), BS/MS Computer Science (unknown)
This news is over a week old, but it might be of interest since it wasn't talked about here yet.

In June, WGU intends to launch a new BS in Cyber Security degree, and sometime after that (date not yet determined) they'll release both Bachelors and Masters Computer Science programs. They first announced it on Twitter and their official social media account posted the quote below on reddit. There was a lot of question about what distinction they were making between cybersecurity and their existing IT Security program. Basically, it seems like their cybersecurity program will be more in line with what one thinks of as infosec/info assurance. Their existing IT Sec program is closer to a network admin program (where as their specific Network Admin program more closely resembles a Systems Admin program, go figure). Anyway, here's their post from reddit...

wgu-social-media Wrote:June we will launch BS Cyber Security, bachelor's and master's in computer science in the near future, but no date just yet. Cyber security focuses more tech/data aspect of security and regular security focus more on phys/admin controls. There is some overlap. The MS computer science will be a fairly technical degree with a strong math background. If you are a current student, please speak to your mentor about any program changes and crossover courses. For those interested in obtaining a CS degree after a MS:ISA, it is possible to do but there are variables and you will want to talk to your mentor/enrollment. Unfortunately I don't have much more info, but your mentors may be able to help more. ALSO, for those interested, we will be hosting another IT Tweetchat Q&A April 19th at 12pm MDT on the BS: Data Management/Data Analytics AND BS Cyber Security degrees. Good luck!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
They indicated they won't be switching up their existing MS in Cyber Security degree upon launching the BS, which I assume means that CEH an CHFI will remain part of the MS and not be included in the BS. If I had to guess, the BS will include CompTIA's new CSA+ (Cyber Security Analyst) and their established CASP (CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner). All of their IT plans already include CompTIA Security+ so I imagine that will be in there too. These aren't particularly impressive certifications unfortunately, but what can you do.

it's be interesting to see them do something like knowck CEH and CHFI down to the BS level, and use the MS to prepare you for CISSP... but especially with CISSP's years of in-field experience requirement I imagine it's just not feasible (aside form them saying they're not tinkering with the MS).

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Also, although it says to talk to your mentor about it, I asked mine last week when they posted this and my mentor said they haven't been given anymore information about it aside from what is posted above.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I'm so excited about the MS in Computer Science (and BS, I'm still a little annoyed that CS at TESU is a BA but I'm too far into the program to switch and I genuinely like TESU anyway). Hopefully they release it before the end of the year. Let's hope we get a peek at some of the curriculum sometime soon. Smile
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
To be fair, I doubt many employers care about the BA/BS distinction. But it is odd.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Quite a few schools offer a BS and BA in CS. Some schools, such as Harvard, treat CS as a liberal art and label all of their liberal arts programs as BAs. In other words, Harvard only offers an AB (BA) in CS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The 2 BS's are good because they are both fairly expensive degrees from TESU and COSC (in comparison to the BSBA or BALS, what WE consider cheap), considering that you can't get a lot of these classes inexpesively. Even if it took you 2-3 terms at WGU, I think it still might be cheaper than TESU or COSC, and you'd get certs as an added bonus (for Cybersecurity anyway).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:The 2 BS's are good because they are both fairly expensive degrees from TESU and COSC (in comparison to the BSBA or BALS, what WE consider cheap), considering that you can't get a lot of these classes inexpesively. Even if it took you 2-3 terms at WGU, I think it still might be cheaper than TESU or COSC, and you'd get certs as an added bonus (for Cybersecurity anyway).

I don't know the exact degree plan for this one, but with the new offerings for CS courses at Saylor and Ed4Credit, a motivated student could even complete this degree in one term by transferring 90 or so credits in. And with 4 SL courses, they'd get a $200 discount on tuition. Seems like a pretty good deal!
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
Thanks for posting this. All three programs interest me. Hopefully they will provide more details soon.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

I know WGU doesn't really do social science degrees, but it would be nice for a school like Hodges or even Patten to create a masters in psychology. Capella is just so icky.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 548 04-17-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 41 5,884 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 268 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 646 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,802 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 263 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 748 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 216 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,767 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 446 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24