Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Big For-Profit Colleges Dying?
While not big, Patten University was a non-profit, brick and mortar college that was bought out by the for-profit UniversityNow. First, Patten's brick and mortar campus was closed. Now, Patten is entirely going away. UniversityNow also sold New Charter University. A non-profit company bought UniversityNow's online platform. 

University of Phoenix has been losing students by the hundreds of thousands. Its parent company, Apollo Group, is selling itself. They also shut down their other school, Western International University. 

Argosy University is closing campuses including one that used to be a non-profit university Argosy bought out. 

ITT Tech shut down after the federal government took away their Title IV eligibility. They owned another university that used to be a non-profit college, and that was also shut down. 

Ashford University is a formerly non-profit university that has had a string of problems. They almost lost accreditation with the HLC because, after they were bought out by Bridgepoint, they moved most of their operations to California. HLC started cracking down on for-profit companies "buying accreditation" by taking over non-profit schools and drastically changing them. Ashford eventually earned WASC accreditation, but they shut down their brick and mortar campus in Iowa. Now, Ashford is being sued by California for ripping off students, and Ashford is trying to convert to a non-profit. 

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/l...story.html

Everest Institutes and Colleges were well-known for their trashy commercials that aired during daytime talk shows. Due to having terrible job placement rates and having campuses shut down by the Canadian government, their parent company, Corinthian, shut down most of the campuses. The remaining campuses were bought by a non-profit company, and the schools are now called Altierus Career College. 

Several years ago, Keiser University converted to non-profit status after the previous administration started cracking down on for-profit colleges. 

Grand Canyon University recently converted back into a non-profit college because it's more in line with their mission as a Christian university.

Purdue recently bought out Kaplan University. 

In the end, I think these large for-profits might survive. 

1. Walden - They offer doctoral programs that are hard to find elsewhere, and I don't think any of their programs have competitive admissions.

2. Capella - They also offer doctoral programs that are hard to find elsewhere. Their licensure master's programs are very popular, and I don't think they have competitive admissions for any of them. 

3. American Public University System - They're cheaper than most of the regionally accredited options out there, especially if your only options are private universities and out-of-state public schools. Military and public safety workers also like the "American Military University" title, and admission is non-competitive. I don't think any of their master's programs require a graduate admissions test, and most of them don't require letters of recommendation. 

4. South University - They're different in that they offer many clinical programs on campus (i.e. physician assistant, occupational therapy, anesthesiologist assistant, etc.). They might survive because these programs are designed to be flexible for adult learners.

Oh, Argosy was also purchased by a non-profit organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argosy_University
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Ares, Life Long Learning
I found it very amusing how GCU achieved non profit status. They created a non profit by the same name, then sold most the the assets to the newly formed non profit(themselves) and now the non profit hires Grand canyon education(the former owners and still for profit company) to handle financial aid, marketing, etc. So they really just pulled some loop holes to achieve their "non-profit" status in name only. But don't worry, they're a Christian university.(that was formerly sued by the government for violation of enrollment and financial aid rules).
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • sanantone
Hopefully!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
And the same guy is president of the non profit Grand canyon university and CEO of the for profit Grand canyon education which has a 15 year contract to only work with GCU.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
People have more options these days. The days of University of Phoenix being the big dog of online learning are over. Most state schools now offer a variety of online degree completion programs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Marcus Aurelius's post:
  • greencouch, Life Long Learning
I think for-profits have an image problem that *while real or imagined* can probably be solved by adopting a sustainable non-profit model.
I think the media has done a good job of demonizing for-profit colleges. First they tried to demonize online learning altogether, that failed, and then they moved into phase two, attacking for-profits. Your tax status doesn't automatically mean you're a good school or bad school since both for-profits and non-profits have their share of good and bad. Ashford University, for example, could switch to any status it wants, it will still be a crummy operation.

Unfortunately, the public is mostly brain-dead and can't think for themselves, so whatever mass media tells them is what they go with. "For-profits are bad, run!" Then they go to a non-profit, get a substandard education and a wild debt and wonder what the hell just happened?
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • Sapientes
(07-13-2018, 04:08 PM)eLearner Wrote: Unfortunately, the public is mostly brain-dead and can't think for themselves, so whatever mass media tells them is what they go with. "For-profits are bad, run!" Then they go to a non-profit, get a substandard education and a wild debt and wonder what the hell just happened?

More people have more debt from for-profits than non-profits.  So getting rid of for-profits altogether probably wouldn't be a bad thing, at least in that respect.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-13-2018, 04:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: More people have more debt from for-profits than non-profits.  So getting rid of for-profits altogether probably wouldn't be a bad thing, at least in that respect.

The difference between for-profit and non-profit really just comes down to business structure. MNomadic gave a good example above of a for-profit transforming itself into a non-profit without substantially changing its operations. Banning for-profit schools would just force for-profits to switch corporate structures.
[-] The following 1 user Likes alexf.1990's post:
  • eLearner
(07-13-2018, 04:08 PM)eLearner Wrote: I think the media has done a good job of demonizing for-profit colleges. First they tried to demonize online learning altogether, that failed, and then they moved into phase two, attacking for-profits. Your tax status doesn't automatically mean you're a good school or bad school since both for-profits and non-profits have their share of good and bad. Ashford University, for example, could switch to any status it wants, it will still be a crummy operation.

Unfortunately, the public is mostly brain-dead and can't think for themselves, so whatever mass media tells them is what they go with. "For-profits are bad, run!" Then they go to a non-profit, get a substandard education and a wild debt and wonder what the hell just happened?

The media doesn't need to do anything. The stats speak for themselves. When 2-year for-profits are compared to community colleges (these two types of colleges have similar student bodies), for-profit graduates have worse employment outcomes. It just doesn't make sense to spend more for a worse outcome. It doesn't even make sense to spend more for the same outcome.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 166 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 302 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 197 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 552 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 223 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 7,231 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
  Religious Colleges ss20ts 33 3,915 11-10-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  The Top U.S. Colleges for Partying LevelUP 1 304 10-06-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Almost no one pays college sticker prices. Colleges are getting real about tution. LevelUP 0 353 10-06-2023, 05:14 PM
  Colleges that Accept Validential adrian052 10 1,028 09-26-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77