Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are TESU degrees accepted for masters programs?
I am located in Missouri and currently enrolled at Columbia college which accepts a very generous amount (60) of non traditional credits and I’ve very much enjoyed my experience so far. However, as I am about to graduate with my Associates, I am analyzing other institutions because they have 39 upper level credits required for all bachelor programs AND a 6 hour foreign language requirement which I don’t love. Additionally, my current school doesn’t accept study.com or Sophia credits. My long term goal is to complete a psychology or liberal arts degree with TESU, California Southern University or something similar, and then move on to the behavioral analysis masters program won line with Missouri State University. My concern is that an out of state university may not be accepted by them. Anyone had experience with this? & did you have to take GRE?? Open to other schools. 

Thanks in advance! I definitely want to save as much time and money on my undergrad as possible, but not sacrifice my eligibility for a grad program. 

Current credits:
39 credit hours of CLEP/DSST
24 traditional credit hours.
DSST
Substance Abuse 470, Fundamentals of Counseling 466, General Anthropology 445, Foundations of Education 424, Technical Writing 450
CLEP
Human Growth & Development 58, Intro to Educational Psychology 66, College Composition 66, College Composition Modular 65, Intro to Sociology 64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 50, American Government 55, College Algebra 63, Macroeconomics 52, Biology 55
SDC 
Ethics in the Social science, Statistics, Cognitive Psychology, Research methods, Personality Theory, History & Systems of Psychology, Ethics in America, History of the US II
CooperSmith
Abnormal Psychology, Physiological Psychology
UExcel
Psychology of Adulthood & Aging, Social Psychology
Yes, we have TESU alumni that have gone to all sorts of grad schools, from big names to not so big names.

I completed my masters at Georgia Tech after TESU (though I also have an additional undergrad from WGU). There's plenty of other folks with similar stories. There was a story posted a while back about someone going on to Harvard Law. There's all kinds of well known and not so well known schools that will happily accept a TESU undergrad.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • kt320
Why wouldn't an out of state degree be accepted? People move all the time and their degrees go with them. Seems like most people don't go to the same school for grad school as they do for undergrad. TESU is part of the state university system in New Jersey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jsd
I skimmed over the part about out-of-state. Of course grad schools accept out of state undergrads, colleges generally accept students from all over the world, let alone out of state.

You mentioned Behavior Analysis at MSU. Here are their admission requirements, you can work backward from here:

https://psychology.missouristate.edu/ABA...ements.htm

Pay attention to point #3, they appear to require a specific amount of graded Psych credits with a minimum GPA within those credits, so keep that in mind when you figuring out which credits you'll complete through alternative means like Study.com, et al. You also asked about the GRE, which they mention in point #5

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I think that if you go to LinkedIn or even Facebook, you will see that there are many people who have gone from TESU to grad school.  And why not?  After all, it is an RA state university.  Why wouldn't it work?
Many people from this forum have reported that they've gotten into master's programs after getting a BA/BS at TESU.

But we can't speak to your school specifically (Missouri State University) accepting them. I'm not sure why they wouldn't. And I'm not sure why an out-of-state school would be an issue anywhere? I've never heard of a college that won't take an out-of-state student, or out-of-state degree ("You moved to Missouri after living in another state for 10 years? Nope, we don't look at any degrees except ones earned here in Missouri. Sorry.") - no, that's not a thing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm not sure exactly what program you are referring to, but this one and others can be competitive:
https://graduate.missouristate.edu/catal...alysis.htm

You will need to maintain a high GPA, and I'm not sure if some of these programs have RA course requirements. The GRE is optional for some programs.

I would think the best route would be to get a psychology degree if you are going to try to get into these master's programs versus getting a liberal studies degree.

SNHU is a good choice because 50% of students graduate with honors.  (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude or 3.5-4.0 GPA)

SNHU Psychology Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan

Get super serious about getting straight A's in as many courses as you can:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...in-College

GL in your journey.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Merged and cleaned up the two threads!

Since your school of choice has a requirement for graded credits, you should consider taking UExcels for as many Psych credits as possible: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UE...es_at_TESU Counting Psych 101 (which I'm not sure if you have) there are 18 Psych credits in the UExcels. I think this applies whether you choose SNHU or TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you're going the UExcel route, I'd make sure you really know the course material well, since your entire grade will be dependent on the single test and in this case your GPA on those specific tests will matter at MSU.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(02-01-2022, 10:21 PM)Alpha Wrote: I think that if you go to LinkedIn or even Facebook, you will see that there are many people who have gone from TESU to grad school.  And why not?  After all, it is an RA state university.  Why wouldn't it work?

My apologies for being unclear because I think I made an overgeneralization. I think what I was trying to say is are there grad schools who are willing to accept someone who tested out of 80% of their undergrad by exam and study.com. That’s my concern with going with TESU or another one of the big 3 is that I’ll end up having to take quite a few pre-requisites anyways.

(02-02-2022, 07:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Merged and cleaned up the two threads!

Since your school of choice has a requirement for graded credits, you should consider taking UExcels for as many Psych credits as possible: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UE...es_at_TESU Counting Psych 101 (which I'm not sure if you have) there are 18 Psych credits in the UExcels. I think this applies whether you choose SNHU or TESU.

Thank you! I wasn’t sure which one to post in at first. Also - are you saying that uexcel transfer as graded instead of pass/fail?
DSST
Substance Abuse 470, Fundamentals of Counseling 466, General Anthropology 445, Foundations of Education 424, Technical Writing 450
CLEP
Human Growth & Development 58, Intro to Educational Psychology 66, College Composition 66, College Composition Modular 65, Intro to Sociology 64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 50, American Government 55, College Algebra 63, Macroeconomics 52, Biology 55
SDC 
Ethics in the Social science, Statistics, Cognitive Psychology, Research methods, Personality Theory, History & Systems of Psychology, Ethics in America, History of the US II
CooperSmith
Abnormal Psychology, Physiological Psychology
UExcel
Psychology of Adulthood & Aging, Social Psychology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 210 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 191 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 386 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 440 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Education Programs - Undergrad & Grad RachelB 0 844 03-27-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 238 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 455 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Help choosing between two programs for this Fall JuicyBerry36 28 2,048 03-16-2024, 11:04 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,017 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre