Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there colleges that award A.A.S degrees soley based soley on transfer credit?
Hope it works for you, but it sounds like a rather unbalanced degree in my opinion. If you are adding your APlus credits and others to the FEMA credits you have a lot of really unconventional stuff. Most degrees allow a small amount of credits like this, but 50 sounds like a huge stretch to me.

It sounds like you are equating 60 credits to an AS degree, or 120 credits to a BS degree. You need 60 or 120 credits according to the degree plan. Most degree plans do not have anywhere near this amount of freedom, and force you into a mix of 75% standard courses, and 25% professional credits, etc.

If you are going to work in emergency management, courses like statistics, physics, math, psychology, business law, law enforcement, and other convenventional courses are just as important as the FEMA specific ones. Replay any of the news from Katrina and you will hear these subjects mentioned continuously.
EC - BSLS Finally done!
Went from 86 to 120 credits in six weeks thanks to IC and the forum.
Currently doing MBA pre-reqs.
Now BSLS + 9 credits
malcs Wrote:Hope it works for you, but it sounds like a rather unbalanced degree in my opinion. If you are adding your APlus credits and others to the FEMA credits you have a lot of really unconventional stuff. Most degrees allow a small amount of credits like this, but 50 sounds like a huge stretch to me.

I want to get into the Marine Shipping industry, I think a emergency management & planning degree could be a nice resume filler.
LeekyLeek Wrote:By any chance do they accept the FEMA credits for more than just free electives? TESC would be way cheaper than Red Rocks, 15 x 45 = 675 + 15 in house credits = 3,375 for me since I'm out of state so basically $4,000 @ RR + lot's of time spent taking classes.. i rather test out and save money :]
I don't know but I emailed TESC and they said they accepted anywhere from 1-25 credits from FEMA depending on the degree. This is what they said,

"We require that the application process is complete and that original transcripts are received prior to an evaluation. However, at this point in the process you may find it beneficial to speak directly wtih an Admissions Counselor for further guidance. You may do so by calling our office toll-free at 1-888-442-8372."

Hope this helps!
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Taken:
English Composition w/ Essay CLEP 57
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP 65
Introductory Psychology CLEP 57
Western Civilization I CLEP 55[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
nick94 Wrote:I don't know but I emailed TESC and they said they accepted anywhere from 1-25 credits from FEMA depending on the degree. This is what they said,

"We require that the application process is complete and that original transcripts are received prior to an evaluation. However, at this point in the process you may find it beneficial to speak directly wtih an Admissions Counselor for further guidance. You may do so by calling our office toll-free at 1-888-442-8372."

Hope this helps!

thanks nick.. i'll give them a call tomorrow morning let's see what how many credits they accept.
LeekyLeek Wrote:I want to get into the Marine Shipping industry, I think a emergency management & planning degree could be a nice resume filler.

guess so, but the friends I know that went to maritime school took wicked amounts of conventional courses. You will probably be dealing with these types of people, and it would be good to have a similar background.
EC - BSLS Finally done!
Now BSLS + 9 credits
[COLOR="Navy"]I really don't think one can get around all of the GenEds (math, science, history, psych, humanities, etc) and get a degree that is top heavy on fluff fema credits; yea I said it.....fluff. :eek:

IF HOWEVER I'M WRONG.........it might be worth looking into.[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
LeekyLeek Wrote:By any chance do they accept the FEMA credits for more than just free electives? TESC would be way cheaper than Red Rocks, 15 x 45 = 675 + 15 in house credits = 3,375 for me since I'm out of state so basically $4,000 @ RR + lot's of time spent taking classes.. i rather test out and save money :]

I spoke with a TESC advisor, and she told me that they will take not only take FEMA as free electives, but that 15 FEMA credits will transfer into the requirements for a BA in Homeland Security. I should have asked which ones. Rolleyes
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:I spoke with a TESC advisor, and she told me that they will take not only take FEMA as free electives, but that 15 FEMA credits will transfer into the requirements for a BA in Homeland Security. I should have asked which ones. Rolleyes

So besides the general ed classes all you need is this courses below, And depending on how you earn this credits it could be more economical and faster than taking 15 online courses through red rocks cc.

II. Area of Study Credits 18 (I wonder how this credits are obtained)

SOS-440: Terrorism (3)
HLS-410: Protecting the Homeland, Balancing Security and Liberty (3)
HLS-420: Prevention and Preparedness (3)
HLS-429: Protecting the Homeland, Response & Recovery (3)
SOS-492: Research Methods in the Social Sciences (3)
HLS-498: Capstone in Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness (3)

And the FEMAS will fall into the following electives

III. Electives (select 15 credits from below or other courses in Homeland Security) 15

* Counter-terrorism
* Disaster & Fire Defense Planning
* Domestic Terrorism
* Electronic Intelligence Analysis
* Emergency Planning
* Intelligence and Homeland Security
* Interagency Communication
* Managerial Issues with Hazardous Materials
* Managing Homeland Security
* Natural Disaster Management
* Port Security
* Psychology of Disaster
* Psychology of Terrorism
* Security Planning and Assessment
* Social Impact of Disasters on the Community
* Stress Management Theory & Practice
* Strategic Planning and Risk Reduction
* Approved FEMA courses
* Constitutional Issues
* Leadership Communication
* Theories of Leadership

IV. Free Electives 27
Red Rocks is being very flexible. I have already called and confirmed all the information I have given.

1 They are regionally accredited
2 They will take FEMA credit for ALL electives and ALL specific requirements. They will give credit for all my IT certs and AP.
3 Their A.A.S in disaster management is only 60 credits.
4. Although I will have more than 45 credits I will have to take 15 credits there to get general ed and residency requirement out of the way (although my AP is in lit so maybe I can take an elective!).
5. The only classes I would have to take are the general ed which are

Technical Writing I (3)
OR
English Compostion I (3)

Survey of Humanities I

Career Math

General Psychology I

Introduction to Sociology I

And all those at least will transfer to a four year if I can scrounge up the money.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
rickyjo Wrote:Red Rocks is being very flexible. I have already called and confirmed all the information I have given.

1 They are regionally accredited
2 They will take FEMA credit for ALL electives and ALL specific requirements. They will give credit for all my IT certs and AP.
3 Their A.A.S in disaster management is only 60 credits.
4. Although I will have more than 45 credits I will have to take 15 credits there to get general ed and residency requirement out of the way (although my AP is in lit so maybe I can take an elective!).
5. The only classes I would have to take are the general ed which are

Technical Writing I (3)
OR
English Compostion I (3)

Survey of Humanities I

Career Math

General Psychology I

Introduction to Sociology I

And all those at least will transfer to a four year if I can scrounge up the money.
This sounds totally nuts to me! There appear to be only 15 cr of standard courses here. You usually have to take around 40 credits of core courses for an AS degree. If they are really giving people accredited degrees with these requirements, they won't be doing so for long.

In addition, other schools require sequences of courses, like math101, math102, etc. I have never seen a place that lets you just take one course in each of those areas. All of the courses that you listed are first semester courses.

You can also bet that you will have trouble transferring this degree.

It sounds as though the summer help staff is working in the advisor's office.

You can take Technical Writing instead of English Comp? That is pretty strange as well.

Good Luck, and get it in writing multiple times before you believe it!
EC - BSLS Finally done!
Now BSLS + 9 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 8 211 Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Last Post: 3ichael7ambert
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 2 309 04-26-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,595 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 845 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 696 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,875 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 186 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 354 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 211 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 783 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh