Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you ready for this?
The future!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
Watch Ex Machina (2015); helluva look into what's next.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
The singularity is really, getting nearer.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
bricabrac Wrote:Watch Ex Machina (2015); helluva look into what's next.

Bricabrac, I just came to say thank you for the recommendation. Ex Machina is wow!:coolgleam: **runs outa thread to continue watching***
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Yeah it's scary. I'm one of those people who does not buy the "Don't worry! We'll automate the sucky jobs but then all of these non-sucky jobs will appear!" argument. Technological advances like these are mono-directional: once they happen it's a permanent change with no going back. There won't be a "horse revival" so to speak (or Pandora's Box reference for those who didn't watch the entire video in the link). This plus continued population expansion is going to cause massive global problems, maybe not in the next year or two but definitely in the next 20. I expect this to lead to a lot of political problems in the mid-21st century.
Kaz Wrote:Yeah it's scary. I'm one of those people who does not buy the "Don't worry! We'll automate the sucky jobs but then all of these non-sucky jobs will appear!" argument. Technological advances like these are mono-directional: once they happen it's a permanent change with no going back. There won't be a "horse revival" so to speak (or Pandora's Box reference for those who didn't watch the entire video in the link). This plus continued population expansion is going to cause massive global problems, maybe not in the next year or two but definitely in the next 20. I expect this to lead to a lot of political problems in the mid-21st century.

Actually most of the worlds population growth can be seen in the Sub Saharan areas of Africa and in south Asia mainly India. The big thing we are going to be worrying about in the future is the mass immigration from these areas of the world as more and more move to urbanized locations. India is once again in danger of facing greater poverty and starvation since the first "green" revolution wasn't as successful as it was in Mexico back in the 1950's. Achieving one of the Millennium Development Goals, the UN predicts that extreme poverty will be at an end by 2030. This should help these depressed areas of the world actually begin to come out of the poverty trap that they are entangled in, which should in turn increase stability throughout these regions. Hopefully by the time this happens the birth rates in these regions will be under control and more focus will have been put on infrastructure. I don't think that population expansion is going to cause massive global issues, maybe just in the countries that are out of control. The birth rate in the US is below 2 while its above 7 in Africa... we won't see many problems in our country, India along with sub Saharan Africa on the other hand will be in trouble.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
dposborne Wrote:Actually most of the worlds population growth can be seen in the Sub Saharan areas of Africa and in south Asia mainly India. The big thing we are going to be worrying about in the future is the mass immigration from these areas of the world as more and more move to urbanized locations. India is once again in danger of facing greater poverty and starvation since the first "green" revolution wasn't as successful as it was in Mexico back in the 1950's. Achieving one of the Millennium Development Goals, the UN predicts that extreme poverty will be at an end by 2030. This should help these depressed areas of the world actually begin to come out of the poverty trap that they are entangled in, which should in turn increase stability throughout these regions. Hopefully by the time this happens the birth rates in these regions will be under control and more focus will have been put on infrastructure. I don't think that population expansion is going to cause massive global issues, maybe just in the countries that are out of control. The birth rate in the US is below 2 while its above 7 in Africa... we won't see many problems in our country, India along with sub Saharan Africa on the other hand will be in trouble.

The greatest form of birth control and population stability is prosperity. My biggest fear is the world governments getting together to come up with a controversial solution for the population. If you think I have a tinfoil cap on my head, look up Puerto Rican sterilization. And that was a more "human" program.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
dposborne Wrote:Actually most of the worlds population growth can be seen in the Sub Saharan areas of Africa and in south Asia mainly India.

I don't see how that is contradictory to anything I said. I didn't give any geographic breakdown as to the population growth so I don't know what the "actually" is supposed to be about.

dposborne Wrote:The big thing we are going to be worrying about in the future is the mass immigration from these areas of the world as more and more move to urbanized locations.

The big thing I am worried about is the environment, so if the peoples most likely to increase the most in population also heavily migrate to already urbanized locations then I say the more the better. I would love to pass more laws in the states that not only preserve but expand wilderness areas, somewhat forcing people to live in more condensed areas, so if that is going to happen from natural forces all the better. Anything to keep people from bulldozing old-growth forests to put up an effin' strip mall or the like.

dposborne Wrote:Achieving one of the Millennium Development Goals, the UN predicts that extreme poverty will be at an end by 2030. This should help these depressed areas of the world actually begin to come out of the poverty trap that they are entangled in, which should in turn increase stability throughout these regions. Hopefully by the time this happens the birth rates in these regions will be under control and more focus will have been put on infrastructure.

I'll believe that when I see it. Sorry, but ending extreme poverty in 15 years? I don't buy it. I bet you more than anything they will start to "hedge" on their definition of "extreme" once they are a few years out so it looks like they are achieving that deadline.

dposborne Wrote:I don't think that population expansion is going to cause massive global issues....

I would say it already has.
Prloko Wrote:The greatest form of birth control and population stability is prosperity. ...

Absolutely. The higher on the hog people get the more on average they seem to naturally slow down in reproduction. I've never studied that phenomenon in depth but it appears to me that it is a simple resources distribution situation. It simply takes more money per child the more affluent the parents are. I guess an additional factor would be that having more resources can lead to more options in life, so parents might want to have their one or two kids then get back to all their hobbies, travelling, etc., whereas poorer parents pretty much work just to live. Interesting stuff. The optimist in me is still holding out for that prefect scenario: so many of us become so prosperous so fast we level off in population. Win win Smile I wouldn't put money on it though.
Kaz Wrote:. The optimist in me is still holding out for that prefect scenario: so many of us become so prosperous so fast we level off in population. Win win Smile I wouldn't put money on it though.
Agreed. As long as scarcity rears its ugly head, it's merely a pipe dream.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gen Z Is Coming to Your Office. Get Ready to Adapt. allvia 4 1,852 10-29-2021, 03:20 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  My oldest son getting ready to graduate high school!!! cookderosa 8 1,268 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  OK.......ready?........the Rebel has conquered! I'm DONE!!! rebel100 21 2,486 11-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Last Post: rebel100