Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashford University Experience? Especially Linguistics
[quote=ilovetacos]Good point. I do not plan to teach in a K-12 setting, but with adult EFL/ESL students, either at the community college level or with refugee/immigrant populations.[/]

Looks like we have similar interests so I guess that's why the program appealed to us both.

My decision not to attend was based primarily on cost and feeling like there was too much of a sales pitch. I really can't speak to the quality of instruction, though the classes look quite interesting. Plus, there is the ability to shave 9 credits off a master's degree in education and you can do a concentration in English language learners.

Another option is to find the least expensive degree in a related area (I'm doing mine in Humanities at TESU) and then follow up with a CELTA to get started. Teaching in community colleges in the U.S. usually requires a master's degree but at least with a CELTA you can get some background knowledge and be able to work in a private language school setting while you finish your grad degree. My Humanities credits are in different subjects, including linguistics and Spanish.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:[quote=ilovetacos]Good point. I do not plan to teach in a K-12 setting, but with adult EFL/ESL students, either at the community college level or with refugee/immigrant populations.[/]

Looks like we have similar interests so I guess that's why the program appealed to us both.

My decision not to attend was based primarily on cost and feeling like there was too much of a sales pitch. I really can't speak to the quality of instruction, though the classes look quite interesting. Plus, there is the ability to shave 9 credits off a master's degree in education and you can do a concentration in English language learners.

Another option is to find the least expensive degree in a related area (I'm doing mine in Humanities at TESU) and then follow up with a CELTA to get started. Teaching in community colleges in the U.S. usually requires a master's degree but at least with a CELTA you can get some background knowledge and be able to work in a private language school setting while you finish your grad degree. My Humanities credits are in different subjects, including linguistics and Spanish.

Thanks for the input. I mentioned earlier that I do have my CELTA and I've taught overseas, but I would like to be able to teach in the U.S., which, as you stated will require a master's.

I wish there was a better option because I am very interested in linguistics after learning three foreign languages and teaching EFL! However, it may be best for me to get a less-expensive BA in communications on a TESU fast-track like you mentioned and then do the TESOL master's online via Regent. I get a discount there through my employer, so it could work out well.

Thanks again!
ilovetacos Wrote:Futuremrsmlb, It is very helpful to know that NC won't accept a degree from Ashford. That is our state of residence when we are in the U.S. Thanks!

Just to clarify, I think she's saying that the Ashford University degrees didn't help her get a teaching job. Not that her regionally accredited degrees weren't accepted by any employers in her home state. Correct me if I'm wrong. This can happen with lots of colleges, especially when you attend out of state. You have to look at certification requirements for your state and field. If someone's interested in teacher certification, I think there are better options than Ashford.

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ilovetacos Wrote:[quote=ladylearner]

Thanks for the input. I mentioned earlier that I do have my CELTA and I've taught overseas, but I would like to be able to teach in the U.S., which, as you stated will require a master's.

I wish there was a better option because I am very interested in linguistics after learning three foreign languages and teaching EFL! However, it may be best for me to get a less-expensive BA in communications on a TESU fast-track like you mentioned and then do the TESOL master's online via Regent. I get a discount there through my employer, so it could work out well.

Thanks again!
I'm also looking at the possibility of completing a master's degree online with a foreign university. But I will do either the CELTA OR TESOL Core certificate first.

ladylearner Wrote:Just to clarify, I think she's saying that the Ashford University degrees didn't help her get a teaching job. Not that her regionally accredited degrees weren't accepted by any employers in her home state. Correct me if I'm wrong. This can happen with lots of colleges, especially when you attend out of state. You have to look at certification requirements for your state and field. If someone's interested in teacher certification, I think there are better options than Ashford.

You are correct. My friend works at a daycare as a lead teacher. She has 10+ years of experience and was hoping a BA and M Ed would help her get a position with the public school system in NC. However, this has not been the case. I dont know the specifics but she did say she was informed her degrees were not necessarily recognized by the school system. Perhaps others requirements she has to meet. She never did, still works at the same daycare in the same position
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
Ashford's education degrees are not designed for certification. They tell you that on the website. If the degree program does not have a student teaching component, then it is not going to lead to certification. It has nothing to do with accreditation. I don't mean to sound mean, but all of the fault belongs to the student. If someone gets a master's in psychology and can't become a licensed counselor, it's not because the degree is worthless or lacks proper accreditation. A lot, if not most, states require a practicum component in the degree program. Most master's programs in psychology are not designed for licensure just like most master's degrees in education and even bachelor's degrees in early childhood education are not designed for K-12 certification. I have no idea why the friend would continue on to a master's degree without even knowing if the bachelor's met the requirements for certification. The friend can still become a teacher by completing an alternative teacher certification program. The NC website tells you how to do this.

Ashford is sort of expensive, but its tuition rate is lower than Excelsior's. They may not accept as many transfer credits as Excelsior, but they do accept up to 90 or 99 (don't know which it is now) traditional college credits in transfer. They accept up to 75 nontraditional credits i.e. ACE/NCCRS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Ashford's education degrees are not designed for certification. They tell you that on the website. If the degree program does not have a student teaching component, then it is not going to lead to certification. It has nothing to do with accreditation. I don't mean to sound mean, but all of the fault belongs to the student. If someone gets a master's in psychology and can't become a licensed counselor, it's not because the degree is worthless or lacks proper accreditation. A lot, if not most, states require a practicum component in the degree program. Most master's programs in psychology are not designed for licensure just like most master's degrees in education and even bachelor's degrees in early childhood education are not designed for K-12 certification. I have no idea why the friend would continue on to a master's degree without even knowing if the bachelor's met the requirements for certification. The friend can still become a teacher by completing an alternative teacher certification program. The NC website tells you how to do this.

Ashford is sort of expensive, but its tuition rate is lower than Excelsior's. They may not accept as many transfer credits as Excelsior, but they do accept up to 90 or 99 (don't know which it is now) traditional college credits in transfer. They accept up to 75 nontraditional credits i.e. ACE/NCCRS.

I'm inclined to believe my friend is just too lazy to do all of that. I did a bit of research and there is something called a TEAS test required for certification in NC. My friend is AWARE of this, still has not done it. So, her degrees are "worthless" because she is lazy and looking for an easy way out.
Mystery solved :-D
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,694 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Uexcel and University of Wisconsin PA Program sanantone 0 1,164 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Thomas Edison State University Selects New President jsd 3 2,178 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transfering to a state university question(what's the best way to do it!) Yung Bukket 1 939 07-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Attempting to obtain TESU credits to use for Rowan University. Worth a shot? chrisjf.tech 17 2,767 05-14-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: chrisjf.tech
  My TESU Liberal Arts Capstone Experience kevinmane 25 10,208 01-02-2017, 05:31 AM
Last Post: peggy
  Patten University to TESU or Excelsior? morig 3 700 11-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: jsd
  West Virginia University at Parkersburg AA program vetvso 9 1,262 10-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Recent TESC and teex experience? CM1999 38 2,868 09-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Thomas Edison State University Selected to Participate in EQUIP Program Mamasaphire 3 902 08-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret