Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B+ In my Lifespan Development Class? Is it good or bad? Try again, perhaps
Question 
Hi ,

I recently took my final for my human lifespan development class and I'm sorta disappointed in the result. That I got I went from a A- ( Like a 92) to a final grade of an 88.13%. I was aiming to stay in the " A" zone when it came to this semester but didn't achieve that. My other grades are a B+ in British Literature , but that was to be expected. But back to the lifespan development course , I aspired to be a nurse and my counselor told me that this course is crucial in when it comes to becoming a nurse and that I should aim for an A or higher. When the results came in I was very disappointed and felt like I could've did better , but another teacher said that I did awesome. From your perspective is this a good grade for Lifespan development or should I try again?
I don't know much about nursing standards, but I believe a high B is plenty good. Just make sure to keep your overall GPA up. With high B's, I think you are fine.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrBossmanJr's post:
  • harrypotter
(04-24-2019, 08:36 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: I don't know much about nursing standards, but I believe a high B is plenty good. Just make sure to keep your overall GPA up. With high B's, I think you are fine.

I'm gonna calculate my GPA. I think it was just so devastating being so close to the standard and then it dropping. But it's not the end.
Many schools won't let you take courses where you get higher than a C over.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Have you tried contacting the instructor and explaining your situation? I would ask if I could do some extra credit or retake a test to try and make the A. It might not work, but I would ask and try to be extremely friendly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Ideas
Like davewill said, most schools won't let you retake a B+ to try to get a better grade; but it's worth asking if it makes a difference.

I would also talk to the school you want to go to for nursing, to see if an A is a requirement or not. Find out ahead of time, and then make sure you get A's where needed. Here in CA, our CC's are super cheap, and the nursing programs through them are extremely competitive (you can become an RN for like $5,000). People are killing themselves to get A's. Anything less is just not going to work. But I doubt it's that competitive elsewhere, and that's what you need to find out.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-24-2019, 07:10 PM)2L8 Wrote: Hi ,

I recently took my final for my human lifespan development class and I'm sorta disappointed in the result. That I got I went from a A- ( Like a 92) to a final grade of an 88.13%. I was aiming to stay in the " A" zone when it came to this semester but didn't achieve that. My other grades are a B+ in British Literature , but that was to be expected. But back to the lifespan development course , I aspired to be a nurse and my counselor told me that this course is crucial in when it comes to becoming a nurse and that I should aim for an A or higher. When the results came in I was very disappointed and felt like I could've did better , but another teacher said that I did awesome. From your perspective is this a good grade for Lifespan development or should I try again?

It is done. Move forward.
(04-26-2019, 12:00 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Like davewill said, most schools won't let you retake a B+ to try to get a better grade; but it's worth asking if it makes a difference.

I would also talk to the school you want to go to for nursing, to see if an A is a requirement or not.  Find out ahead of time, and then make sure you get A's where needed.  Here in CA, our CC's are super cheap, and the nursing programs through them are extremely competitive (you can become an RN for like $5,000).  People are killing themselves to get A's.  Anything less is just not going to work.  But I doubt it's that competitive elsewhere, and that's what you need to find out.

I did a bulk of my nursing prerequisites in California super cheap for $20 a credit at Valley Community College. Eventually, I left because it was explained to me that even if I had a 4.0 the waiting list was outrageously long. Nowadays, with WGU running a nursing program, Excelsior, Ashford, Kean and many other nursing schools taking ACE credit, I'm not sure I would risk my GPA over gen eds or pre-requisites. I understand OP's concerns, but in the scheme of things, I don't think it's worth losing sleep over. Things are different now than when I graduated nursing school last year... yes, it's become extremely competitive to become an RN, but there are just so many options now. My girlfriend just transferred in 18 credits worth of nursing prerequisites on her ACE transcripts -- including a few CLEP exams -- at the community college, and they took them. There's always a way around IMO, sometimes it means moving to another state like I did (although I know that's not an option for many). I try to tell people to remember... YOU ARE SO MUCH MORE THAN YOUR GPA. They're looking at other things too.
If you're not trying to get into Johns Hopkins, don't worry about it. Move on. Even at a top school, one B+ won't keep you out. Do better in your remaining courses. Your anatomy and physiology courses count for more. Put your efforts into preparing for the ATI or HESI instead of retaking the course. PocketPrep is great for health professions test preparation.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • indigoshuffle
(04-27-2019, 02:48 PM)clep3705 Wrote: If you're not trying to get into Johns Hopkins, don't worry about it. Move on. Even at a top school, one B+ won't keep you out. Do better in your remaining courses. Your anatomy and physiology courses count for more. Put your efforts into preparing for the ATI or HESI instead of retaking the course. PocketPrep is great for health professions test preparation.
Yes!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 431 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Mobile phone use in class bjcheung77 0 250 08-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Universitat Oberta de Catalunya - Bachelor's degree in Software Development nyvrem 5 1,543 05-16-2023, 05:46 PM
  NYU professor fired... Organic chem class too hard! bjcheung77 12 987 10-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,530 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
  What is/was your most hated class and how have you dealt with it? rachel83az 8 869 08-29-2022, 01:53 AM
Last Post: splirow
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,141 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  STC Free class gams007 8 990 07-30-2022, 05:45 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Suggestions for Certifications to use up Personal Development Funds mohelena02 12 1,476 06-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Shocked Utah’s Westminster College Offers " " Class Where Students Will ‘Watch " " Films ... LevelUP 8 1,057 04-22-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso