Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Liberal arts cost Excelsior vs TESU?
Hi. Now that I have gotten my evals back from both schools, it's time to pick one. I'm assuming I can finish in one year will only take 4 credits from either institution, here is what I think it costs. Please let me know what I have wrong:
Excelsior (veteran's discount in italics)
$760 Commitment
$0 Admission
$1640 Tuition
$225 Annual
$130 Graduation

$2755

TESU (Study.com discount in italics)
$0 Application (was able to get this waived since Excelsior did the same)
$1800 Residency waiver
$1896 Tuition
$Waived? Cornerstone (not sure what the cost of this is)

$323 Graduation
$4019
The tuition at TESU should only be $1497 minus whatever discount you get ($499/cr for your capstone course). The cornerstone is normally $300, but you can get that waived. The rest looks correct for TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So the liberal arts capstone is normally $1500 with no discount? Somehow I got it in my head that it was $300 like the cornerstone. Oops so I misinformed my bro who's just about to register for it. :imwithstupid:
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
jb111 Wrote:Hi. Now that I have gotten my evals back from both schools, it's time to pick one.

I can't comment on the actual monetary costs of an EC vs. TESU BA degree, but I would check out the Capstone requirements for both schools before making your final choice. As both schools have very different Capstone's (discussion group posts, research papers, PowerPoint for EC - one big research project for TESU?), you might decide it's worth it to spend more upfront for what would be (for you) an "easier" Capstone.

Hope this helps! Confusedeeya:
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
Also remember that EC requires a lot more upper level credits than TESU, which can be harder and more expensive to find. This can drive up cost.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:Also remember that EC requires a lot more upper level credits than TESU, which can be harder and more expensive to find. This can drive up cost.

I would agree with this.

You will need 30cr of UL at EC, and not just in the AOS. TESU not only requires fewer UL credits, but they also accept more credits in as UL than EC or COSC. TESU is also better about bringing in some of the old 6cr CLEP exams as 6cr now, even if they're supposed to be 3cr. They also take the College Comp w/Essay CLEP for 6cr, which EC won't accept.

EC is more liberal in accepting certificates though, so there's always that to think about as well if you have any.

You actually need to plan out both degrees, with costs for the actual courses, and THEN figure out which is cheaper. The fees are only part of the equation here.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think the OP has very little left to complete from either school, hence the focus on pricing and Capstone requirements at both schools.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Just an FYI.... I registered for capstone at TESU this morning and with the study.com membership it was $1422. Normally the cost is $499 per credit hour for out-of-state residents and I was charged $474 per credit hour. So I guess it was a 5% discount. I've seen some different numbers floating around this forum and I can't promise its the same for everyone but that is what I was charged as of this morning. Maybe that will help someone else in calculating the cost.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
KayV Wrote:I think the OP has very little left to complete from either school, hence the focus on pricing and Capstone requirements at both schools.

I thought he/she was asking about the total cost if they wanted to take all courses outside of the school ("I'm assuming I can finish in one year" doesn't say to me that they have a LOT of courses or MOST courses already completed, but it's hard to tell what that means).

Even if someone has a ton of courses, that doesn't mean they will meet the requirements for either degree if they're all LL courses, or all business courses, or whatever.

That's another thing to take into account - if you're wanting a BALS, EC's "Arts and Sciences" is more liberal than TESU's "SocSci and Humanities." That will make a difference too.

OP - if you want to post your evals here, we might be able to give you more help. The question is so generic, it's hard to tell what will work better for you until we know what you already have. I'm happy to do a TESU plan for you if you post the TESU eval. Others can help with EC.
I might be confusing threads. Someone around here was saying that they had their evals back from both Excelsior and TESU and just had a few classes left for each one, and it looked like they had completed almost all of the upper level. Sorry.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,974 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,636 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,728 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,586 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,373 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore