Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Math (Sorry guys!)
I know I'm all over the place with which direction I'm going but I just want to get this right. I posted yesterday about an associates in Math and started CSM Learn. I made an offhanded comment about maybe switching to a BA in Math but once I checked it out, I realized that might not be a bad idea. 

Is it possible to finish a math degree with alt credits? I can't really send my transcript anywhere and I'm already enrolled in TESU so I don't think I can take any ASU or other CC classes. Also, not in the US so that limits my options.

My other option is to finish my BALS. I don't need much for that either. 

Here's what I'm looking at for a BAMath 

Also: I took Technical Math I for 5 CR but it's not applying anywhere in the degree, not even an elective. I'm not sure why. 

A: Calculus I & II 6 SH (In progress)
and MAT-232 Calculus II
SH Earned: 5

Group 1 (In progress)
Source Course Title     Term   Grade  SH        TESU # Notes
1          MAT230          Technical Math II        12/01/13         C          5.00     MAT-231        
*TE
______            _______________      _________________________          1 credit needed
B: Calculus III 3 SH (Not started)
For TESU course options, go to MAT-331 Calculus III
______            _______________      _________________________          3 credits needed
C: Linear Algebra 3 SH (Not started)
(calculus based) *must earn a grade of C or better
For TESU course options, go to MAT-321 Linear Algebra
______            _______________      _________________________          3 credits needed
D: Probablty/Stats 3 SH (Complete)

E: Math Electives 15 SH (Not started)
**At least 15 of the 30 credits required within the entire Area of Study must be at the 300/400 level.**
*Elective courses must be at the 200-400 academic level and have a grade of C or better. For TESU course options, please contact an Advisor

SH Earned: 0

Group 1 (Not started)
Group 2 (Not started)

For TESU course options, go to LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone Course

If it ends up being too complicated, I'll just do the BALS. I already have one AA, so I can only get one more and I believe I can just get the TEEX courses and end up with Comp Sci ASNSM

Thank you guys for being so patient with me.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

>> I don't think I can take any ASU or other CC classes?

Why? Is it because you've already a student at TESU? You can always try to enroll as visiting or non-degree student. When you take classes though ASU earned admissions you are not even "labeled" as an ASU student.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
(08-19-2020, 03:37 AM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote: >> I don't think I can take any ASU or other CC classes?

Why? Is it because you've already a student at TESU? You can always try to enroll as visiting or non-degree student. When you take classes though ASU earned admissions you are not even "labeled" as an ASU student.

Not a US resident and can’t access my transcripts. If I can take the class without sending transcripts and from abroad, I absolutely would do this. As far as I know though everyone needs transcripts. I have to pay about $2500 to get mine and I won’t have that money until later this year when I pay for TESU graduation.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

(08-19-2020, 03:42 AM)lillingworth Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 03:37 AM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote: >> I don't think I can take any ASU or other CC classes?

Not a US resident and can’t access my transcripts. If I can take the class without sending transcripts and from abroad, I absolutely would do this. As far as I know though everyone needs transcripts.

ASU earned admission program won't even ask you if you have any transcripts. It only asks for identity verification (assuming that you are taking class for credit).
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
Omg! I’ve been under the impression it was impossible!

Wow, I shouldn’t have made assumptions.

I’ll check out their math classes. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

The only math class that ASU EA has that you don't have is precalculus. Should be super easy for you, at least! Another inexpensive option for LL (math) electives would be trigonometry through ALEKS. Precalculus from ASU and trig from ALEKS do not overlap at TESU.

For UL options, I was told the following:

Quote:Westcott Courses (transcripted on Brandman, RA credit) 
Calc III $544
Linear Algebra $569
Abstract Algebra $973 (UL)

West Texas A&M Self-Paced ($699/course)
MATH3340: Calculus III
MATH 3342: Differential Equations

Statistics.com has TONS of math courses for $549/course. There are also ones that will work in CompSci I think. They even have some grad-level courses.

Westcott/Brandman might not transfer to TESU so confirm with them first. Should be no such issues with West Texas A&M. Coopersmith has Linear Algebra. 

I think you can get a combination comp sci/math ASNSM if you choose to go that route. One degree, 2 AOS. 

To take classes as a non-degree seeking student at a CC, you don't necessarily have to send in your international transcripts. So long as they accept international students, I would simply register and send in your ACE transcript + your ASU transcript.
I could not find math courses on statistics.com. can anyone provide link for these courses please? I saw tons of dara science courses but not math
(08-19-2020, 06:44 AM)Cofffeee Wrote: I could not find math courses on statistics.com. can anyone provide link for these courses please? I saw tons of dara science courses but not math

The data science courses seem to count as math in some cases. For instance (wants R familiarity, though): https://www.statistics.com/courses/spati...s-using-r/

Quote:Learning Outcome:
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to describe spatial data using maps; define what is meant by spatial analysis and list some of the underlying difficulties; describe the statistical metrics and methods appropriate to spatial data; critique maps produced by other agencies on the WWW and in other media; undertake an analysis of patterns in data using the concept of complete spatial randomness; analyze patterns in point data, and detect non-randomness; analyze continuous field data and create contour maps; produce area/value (choropleth) maps of area aggregated data using the GeoDa package; and interpolate data to produce continuous surface models using a variety of alternative approaches in the 3Dfield package.
Instruction:
The methods of instruction include case studies, practical exercises, lecture, discussion, classroom exercises, and computer based training. The general course topics include describing spatial data using maps, analysis of patterns in point data, analysis of patterns in area data, detecting and measuring spatial autocorrelation in lattice data, analysis of continuous field data, and creating contour-type maps using inverse distance weighting and geostatistical methods.
Assessment:
The methods of assessments include quizzes, case studies, and final projects with a minimum passing score of 70 percent.
Credit Recommendation:
In the upper-division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in spatial statistics, geospatial statistics, or statistics (4/18).

This one has no prerequisites (unlike the above where you need familiarity with R): https://www.statistics.com/courses/risk-...d-queuing/

Quote:Learning Outcome:Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to use simulation to describe and measure the impact of uncertainty on decision problems; use optimization techniques with simulation to mitigate and manage risk; study queuing models used to describe and manage the behavior of waiting lines; and learn to use payoff tables, decision trees, multi-criteria scoring models, and AHP to analyze decisions problems.
Instruction:The methods of instruction include case studies and a final project with a minimum passing score of 80 percent. The general course topics include simulation; implementing and optimizing the model; Poisson distribution, arrival rate; mastering complexity; decision rules, decision trees; expected monetary value, regret, value of information; and sensitivity analysis.
Assessment:The methods of assessment include a final project with a minimum passing score of 80 percent.
Credit Recommendation:In the graduate degree category, 3 semester hours in statistics or decision science (3/18).

No prerequisites for this one either: https://www.statistics.com/courses/optim...ogramming/

Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to describe what types of decisions are amenable to linear programming solutions; formulate a linear programming model, and represent it graphically; solve the LP model with spreadsheet-based software; use LP models for various decisions: make or buy, where to invest; and use sensitivity analysis and shadow prices to gain additional information from the LP solution.
Instruction:
The methods of instruction include case studies, practical exercises, lecture, discussion, and computer-based training. The general course topics include the role of models in decisions; sources of bias and error in human decision making; good decisions vs. good outcomes; formulating linear programming models; graphical representations; solving LP models in spreadsheets; role of sensitivity analysis in the larger decision context; shadow prices; robust optimization; and Simplex Method.
Assessment:
The methods of assessment include quizzes and a final project with a minimum passing score of 70 percent.
Credit Recommendation:
In the upper-division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in mathematics or business management (3/18).
(08-19-2020, 07:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 06:44 AM)Cofffeee Wrote: I could not find math courses on statistics.com. can anyone provide link for these courses please? I saw tons of dara science courses but not math

The data science courses seem to count as math in some cases. For instance (wants R familiarity, though): https://www.statistics.com/courses/spati...s-using-r/

Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to describe spatial data using maps; define what is meant by spatial analysis and list some of the underlying difficulties; describe the statistical metrics and methods appropriate to spatial data; critique maps produced by other agencies on the WWW and in other media; undertake an analysis of patterns in data using the concept of complete spatial randomness; analyze patterns in point data, and detect non-randomness; analyze continuous field data and create contour maps; produce area/value (choropleth) maps of area aggregated data using the GeoDa package; and interpolate data to produce continuous surface models using a variety of alternative approaches in the 3Dfield package.
Instruction:
The methods of instruction include case studies, practical exercises, lecture, discussion, classroom exercises, and computer based training. The general course topics include describing spatial data using maps, analysis of patterns in point data, analysis of patterns in area data, detecting and measuring spatial autocorrelation in lattice data, analysis of continuous field data, and creating contour-type maps using inverse distance weighting and geostatistical methods.
Assessment:
The methods of assessments include quizzes, case studies, and final projects with a minimum passing score of 70 percent.
Credit Recommendation:
In the upper-division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in spatial statistics, geospatial statistics, or statistics (4/18).

This one has no prerequisites (unlike the above where you need familiarity with R): https://www.statistics.com/courses/risk-...d-queuing/

Quote:Learning Outcome:Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to use simulation to describe and measure the impact of uncertainty on decision problems; use optimization techniques with simulation to mitigate and manage risk; study queuing models used to describe and manage the behavior of waiting lines; and learn to use payoff tables, decision trees, multi-criteria scoring models, and AHP to analyze decisions problems.
Instruction:The methods of instruction include case studies and a final project with a minimum passing score of 80 percent. The general course topics include simulation; implementing and optimizing the model; Poisson distribution, arrival rate; mastering complexity; decision rules, decision trees; expected monetary value, regret, value of information; and sensitivity analysis.
Assessment:The methods of assessment include a final project with a minimum passing score of 80 percent.
Credit Recommendation:In the graduate degree category, 3 semester hours in statistics or decision science (3/18).

No prerequisites for this one either: https://www.statistics.com/courses/optim...ogramming/

Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to describe what types of decisions are amenable to linear programming solutions; formulate a linear programming model, and represent it graphically; solve the LP model with spreadsheet-based software; use LP models for various decisions: make or buy, where to invest; and use sensitivity analysis and shadow prices to gain additional information from the LP solution.
Instruction:
The methods of instruction include case studies, practical exercises, lecture, discussion, and computer-based training. The general course topics include the role of models in decisions; sources of bias and error in human decision making; good decisions vs. good outcomes; formulating linear programming models; graphical representations; solving LP models in spreadsheets; role of sensitivity analysis in the larger decision context; shadow prices; robust optimization; and Simplex Method.
Assessment:
The methods of assessment include quizzes and a final project with a minimum passing score of 70 percent.
Credit Recommendation:
In the upper-division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in mathematics or business management (3/18).

Thank you
There may be others. I didn't check everything. I just picked a few that looked likely to count as math courses. I would definitely confirm with TESU to make sure that they'll work for a BA Math.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 0 12 17 minutes ago
Last Post: Frederico.Sandoval
  Tired of being bad at math and looking to enroll in online math classes for credit xor 9 575 02-26-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  European seeking Computer Science or Math fcfcfc 11 705 01-20-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help with degree plan for combined Math & Environmental Studies RavioliMachine 12 595 01-08-2024, 01:38 PM
  Quickest Path to a Computer Science or Math Degree juiceboxguy42 10 1,462 10-06-2023, 07:27 PM
  What do you guys think of this degree plan? LouisDG89 10 1,407 09-11-2023, 08:16 PM
  First off you guys are awesome, second-BABA Aries0991 31 2,823 06-14-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Aries0991
  TESU BACS with an associates in math. CanICode 5 870 01-16-2023, 01:05 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  TESU BA CS/Math Double Major Planning zolpgree 14 1,548 07-20-2022, 04:12 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TESU AS Math & BACS zolpgree 6 903 07-15-2022, 05:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore