Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quickest Path to a Computer Science or Math Degree
It's been the plan to head back to school for a long time and I'm finally doing it. I was previously an engineering major and completed the first 2 years of a degree in a brick and mortar state school. Due to time and location constraints I'm interested in an online Computer Science or Mathematics degree. I work a full time job in mental health right now and am the sole provider right now so need to be able to get this finished asap. 

I've recently began taking Sophia courses with the current plan being to transfer in as much as I can to WGU but upon receiving the transfer credit evaluation WGU is only accepting 11 of my 70+ credits earned at University. This led to me looking into other options and finding schools like TESU. I'm wondering if there are any other schools that might be a good option for me and would appreciate your input! 

Your Location: Northwest Ohio, USA
Your Age: 30
What kind of degree do you want?: BA/BS Computer Science or Mathematics 

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 

CLEP--Intro to Sociology

Sophia-

Introduction to Information Technology (3 credits)
Introduction to Nutrition (3)
Introduction to Statistics (3)
Introduction to Web Development (3)
Workplace Communication (3)
U.S. Government (3)
Calculus 1 (4--WGU wouldn't transfer in my calc credits since it's been over 5 years)

University Credits:

Elementary Chemistry (3)
Comp 1 (3)
College Algebra and Trig (3)
Introduction to CAD (2) 
General Chemistry 1 w/ lab (5)
Calculus 1 (3)
Engineering Economics (3)
Intro to Film (3)
Calculus 2 (4)
Materials Science & Engineering (3)
Physics 1 (5)
Intro to Anthropology (3)
Managing Diversity in the Workplace (3)
Engineering Mechanics: Statics (3)
Group Piano (2)
Music Theory (3)
Physics 2 (5)
Intro to Philosophy (3)
Principles of Psychology (3)
Personal Finance (3)

Budget and Timeframe: Essentially as fast and cheap as I can do it but realistically I'd like to spend 5,000 or less and finish in a year or less.
For Computer Science and Math, your choices are mostly TESU, SNHU, and WGU. Honestly, though, even with maximum transfer, WGU would probably cost more than your current budget. SNHU definitely would cost more.

For TESU, Math for under $5k may not be possible (it could be close, though). Computer Science may be slightly over. You would need to set up a spreadsheet to compare what still needs to be completed for both degrees.

The most cost-effective way to do things is to finish up your degree with a flat-rate term of 15 credits. This costs $4299 and negates the need to pay the residency waiver fee. The residency waiver fee is owed by students who only take the capstone + cornerstone at TESU.

Capstone & cornerstone 6 credits @ $545/cr. + residency waiver fee of $3354 = $6624 or over $2k more than it costs to complete the 15 TESU credits!

For the BACS, the recommended 15 credits are usually:
  • Cornerstone
  • Capstone
  • Software Engineering
  • CIS-1070 ePack
  • 1000/2000 level ePack or course of your choice.

TESU degree plans to set up your spreadsheet are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Do you have an Associate's degree? If not, and one would help you while you finish up your TESU degree, you can get a Pierpont BOG AAS for $130 while you're finishing up the TESU requirements. If you already have an Associate or having an Associate wouldn't provide any benefit, I would skip Pierpont.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • awildstudentappeared, origamishuttle
Thanks for your advice! I think the TESU Computer Science degree is the way. Had no idea about the Pierpont AAS, very cool program!
(10-04-2023, 02:00 PM)juiceboxguy42 Wrote: Thanks for your advice! I think the TESU Computer Science degree is the way. Had no idea about the Pierpont AAS, very cool program!

If you earn the CS degree at TESU, the Associate in Math is easy to get and is free to addon. 

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/mathematics
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Add some info so we can help more:
Course #, full course name, and if anything has a grade lower than a C

Then I can tell you what courses will transfer to where, and what is left and where to get those credits.

For sure you need Public Speaking, Intro to Ethics & US History I or II from Sophia; and Composition II, either as a TECEP exam, a CLEP Exam (College Composition w/Essay), Study.com, Coopersmith, or a DSST exam (Adv English Comp).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-04-2023, 03:18 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-04-2023, 02:00 PM)juiceboxguy42 Wrote: Thanks for your advice! I think the TESU Computer Science degree is the way. Had no idea about the Pierpont AAS, very cool program!

If you earn the CS degree at TESU, the Associate in Math is easy to get and is free to addon. 

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/mathematics

Absolutely true! This is a good option and definitely recommended for students who are already interested in a Math degree of some kind.

However, students should be aware that it is only free if the Math and Bachelor's degrees are completed simultaneously. Graduating with the Associate's degree first and then the Bachelor's degree a few months later can be significantly more expensive. Thus, if someone needs an Associate degree while working on the Bachelor's, Pierpont is recommended as an inexpensive interim degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-04-2023, 08:50 AM)juiceboxguy42 Wrote: Your Location: Northwest Ohio, USA

CLEP--Intro to Sociology

Sophia-

U.S. Government (3)
Calculus 1 (4--WGU wouldn't transfer in my calc credits since it's been over 5 years)

University of Toledo Credits:

CHEM 1090--Elementary Chemistry (3)
ENGL 1110--College Comp 1-Writing Studio (3)
MATH 1340--College Algebra and Trig (3)
MIME 1000--Orientation to ME and IE (3)
MIME 1100--Introduction to CAD (2) 
CHEM 1230--General Chemistry 1 w/ lab (5) *C-
MATH 1850--Calculus 1 (3)
MIME 1000--Professional Development (1)
MIME 2600--Engineering Economics (3)
FILLM 1310--Intro to Film (3)
MATH 1860--Calculus 2 (4)
MIME 1650--Materials Science & Engineering (3)
PHYS 2130--Physics 1 (5)
ANTH 1020--Intro to Anthropology (3)
BMGT 2700--Managing Diversity in the Workplace (3)
CIVE 1150--Engineering Mechanics: Statics (3)
MUS 1250--Group Piano (2)
MUS 2200--Music Theory (3)
PHYS 2140--Physics 2 (5)
PHIL 2200--Intro to Philosophy (3)
PSY 1010--Principles of Psychology (3)
FINA 3060--Personal Finance (3)

**Budget and Timeframe: Originally wanted it to cost less then 5000 but so long as it ends up costing less then 10000 I can make it work. Ideally though finished within a year. 

Edited to add course names and numbers for the University of Toledo credits and alter the budget/timeframe. Seriously thank you guys so much for your help!
@juiceboxguy42, you've completed a snipped portion of the addendum and template, it's missing some other critical info, such as your commitments, study habits, etc. With your updated budget/time frame, I'll link you to this recommendation I had for someone else. You can do a double major in BACS/Math if you wanted, or something different, like a BACS/BSBA CIS double degree instead. Here's a little read, with links: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid405061
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-05-2023, 12:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @juiceboxguy42, you've completed a snipped portion of the addendum and template, it's missing some other critical info, such as your commitments, study habits, etc.  With your updated budget/time frame, I'll link you to this recommendation I had for someone else.  You can do a double major in BACS/Math if you wanted, or something different, like a BACS/BSBA CIS double degree instead.  Here's a little read, with links: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid405061

Apologies I'm still new to the forums and didn't do an appropriate search to find the full template to use. Added additional info below along with more info from the original post. The CS/Math dual degree is a cool thought! So long as it didn't add significantly more time or credits to earn I'm very interested. Thanks so much for all the help so far.

It's been the plan to head back to school for a long time and I'm finally doing it. I was previously an engineering major and completed the first 2 years of a degree in a brick and mortar state school. Due to time and location constraints I'm interested in an online Computer Science or Mathematics degree. I work a full time job in mental health right now and am the sole provider right now so need to be able to get this finished asap. 

I've recently began taking Sophia courses with the current plan being to transfer in as much as I can to WGU but upon receiving the transfer credit evaluation WGU is only accepting 11 of my 70+ credits earned at University. This led to me looking into other options and finding schools like TESU. I'm wondering if there are any other schools that might be a good option for me and would appreciate your input! 

Your Location: Northwest Ohio, USA

CLEP--Intro to Sociology

Sophia-

U.S. Government (3)

CHEM 1090--Elementary Chemistry (3)
ENGL 1110--College Comp 1-Writing Studio (3)
MATH 1340--College Algebra and Trig (3)
MIME 1000--Orientation to ME and IE (3)
MIME 1100--Introduction to CAD (2) 
CHEM 1230--General Chemistry 1 w/ lab (5) *C-
MATH 1850--Calculus 1 (3)
MIME 1000--Professional Development (1)
MIME 2600--Engineering Economics (3)
FILLM 1310--Intro to Film (3)
MATH 1860--Calculus 2 (4)
MIME 1650--Materials Science & Engineering (3)
PHYS 2130--Physics 1 (5)
ANTH 1020--Intro to Anthropology (3)
BMGT 2700--Managing Diversity in the Workplace (3)
CIVE 1150--Engineering Mechanics: Statics (3)
MUS 1250--Group Piano (2)
MUS 2200--Music Theory (3)
PHYS 2140--Physics 2 (5)
PHIL 2200--Intro to Philosophy (3)
PSY 1010--Principles of Psychology (3)
FINA 3060--Personal Finance (3)

Budget: Originally wanted it to cost less then 5000 but so long as it ends up costing less then 10000 I can make it work.
Commitments: Mostly just my girlfriend and our dog & cat. I have a full time jobs where I regularly work 50-60 hour weeks but have downtime throughout the day where I would be able to work on schoolwork.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 3 hours a day I can dedicate to schoolwork, but this is a conservative estimate and it will likely be much more some days. So approximately 20 hours a week or more.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1 year.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: My workplace offers a 2/3rds discount on a local university but earning a degree there would take years and they don't have any online options.
(10-05-2023, 02:48 PM)juiceboxguy42 Wrote: BACS DEGREE

CLEP--Intro to Sociology - DIVERSITY REQ

Sophia-
U.S. Government (3) - CIVIC ENGAGEMENT REQ

Introduction to Information Technology (3 credits) - FREE ELECTIVE
Introduction to Nutrition (3) - NATSCI/MATH ELECTIVE IN AOS
Introduction to Statistics (3) - [b]NATSCI/MATH ELECTIVE IN AOS[/b]
Introduction to Web Development (3) - FREE ELECTIVE
Workplace Communication (3) - FREE ELECTIVE

Calculus 1 (4--WGU wouldn't transfer in my calc credits since it's been over 5 years) - DUPLICATE

ENGL 1110--College Comp 1-Writing Studio (3) - WRITTEN COMM I REQ
MATH 1340--College Algebra and Trig (3) - QUANT LIT REQ
PSY 1010--Principles of Psychology (3) - SOCSCI REQ (UNDER KNOWLEDGE OF HUMAN CULTURES)
FILLM 1310--Intro to Film (3) - HUM REQ (UNDER KNOWLEDGE OF HUMAN CULTURES)
ANTH 1020--Intro to Anthropology (3) - SOCSCI REQ (UNDER KNOWLEDGE OF HUMAN CULTURES)
MUS 2200--Music Theory (3) - HUM REQ (UNDER KNOWLEDGE OF HUMAN CULTURES)
CHEM 1090--Elementary Chemistry (3) - SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE REQ
PHYS 2130--Physics 1 (5) - SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE REQ
MATH 1850--Calculus 1 (3) - AOS REQ

MIME 1000--Orientation to ME and IE (3) -
FREE ELECTIVE
MIME 1100--Introduction to CAD (2)  - FREE ELECTIVE
CHEM 1230--General Chemistry 1 w/ lab (5) *C- - FREE ELECTIVE
MIME 1000--Professional Development (1) - FREE ELECTIVE
MIME 2600--Engineering Economics (3) - FREE ELECTIVE
MATH 1860--Calculus 2 (4) - FREE ELECTIVE
MIME 1650--Materials Science & Engineering (3) - FREE ELECTIVE
BMGT 2700--Managing Diversity in the Workplace (3) - FREE ELECTIVE
CIVE 1150--Engineering Mechanics: Statics (3) - FREE ELECTIVE
MUS 1250--Group Piano (2) - FREE ELECTIVE
PHYS 2140--Physics 2 (5) - FREE ELECTIVE
PHIL 2200--Intro to Philosophy (3) - FREE ELECTIVE
FINA 3060--Personal Finance (3) - FREE ELECTIVE

For the BACS, you still need the following:
Composition II
Oral Comm
Ethics
History
5 AOS required courses
6 AOS CompSci electives

For the BSBA/CIS, you still need the following (on top of the above):
10 AOS required courses

Contrary to popular opinion here, I would continue on with the BACS until you're ready to take the final term before deciding whether to add on the BSBA/CIS degree.  You only have ONE course needed for the BSBA, so it's going to take a lot of extra time and money to add that on - possibly more time/money than you're willing to spend.  So don't make that decision until later.

The reason for this is that if you get to the point where you are burned out, or run out of money, but have done 50% of two degrees, you're screwed.  But if you are 90% done with ONE degree, and decide that you can only do that, then you are good to go - you finish the cornerstone and capstone and whatever else you need (based on whether you do the single 15cr term or just want to do the final course and pay the residency waiver).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • fmsoa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU CS Degree plan FullFocus 14 1,067 7 hours ago
Last Post: Doner
  SNHU India Degree Plan apple26 7 247 7 hours ago
Last Post: Doner
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 15 313 7 hours ago
Last Post: teadrinker000
  need help on degree planning emoleo 5 361 08-28-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: emoleo
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan,Urgent Help Needed! edward.ri 1 119 08-28-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 18 1,243 08-26-2024, 09:00 AM
Thumbs Up UMPI PM & IS Degree. Complete Newbie TooNee 10 802 08-25-2024, 12:17 AM
  Computer Science Bachelor for a non-US resident michaela 10 496 08-23-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Help - Math Credits for TESU Frederico.Sandoval 2 134 08-21-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Frederico.Sandoval
  Path Recommendation for 50 y.o. male in US ill13 39 2,975 08-21-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: ill13