Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Path Recommendation for 50 y.o. male in US
Hey y'all!,

I'm a long time lurker [look at my join date!].

Looking for an undergrad degree as fast as possible as any promotions or moves will likely require at least a BA. I'm a pretty decent writer and relatively quick learner, so I'd prefer to test out of everything as fast as I can. I don't care what the degree is, just need something quickly to tick that box.

Currently I am an IT Manager and am the classic 'Jack of all Trades', with no specialty.

I have a good handle on software automation, software development, GUI design and implementation, Windows System Administration, break fix, planning and implementation, technical documentation, networking, cybersecurity, micro electronics, 3d design / CAD, marketing, product design, digital design...

I'm strong with Python, PowerShell and decent with C, BASH, JavaScript. However, I'm weak in general math - StackOverflow and Google cover me for most of the time!

World religions, western history and politics, global economics, and general biology are areas of interest.

I prefer to work on my own; classroom environments do not work very well for me.

Degree desired: Anything
Current Regional Accredited credits: 0
Current ACE / CLEP credits: 0
Any certifications or military experience: Army
Budget: Preferably $5-$10k, speed is more important than cost
Commitments: FTE and 2 kids
Timeline: ASAP

Looking for recommendations /paths to get this remedied ASAP.

Any help is appreciated and thank you for reading!
@ill13, Wow, you're just like me on the other board, before I became a moderator there as well... I was a lurker on DegreeInfo for several months before I joined their board in October 2002...  Anyways, great intro post with addendum and template, it's compact, concise, and to the point...  

Since you're starting from scratch, you should work on the trifecta of certs, degree, experience, you've got the experience part down pat, so I recommend to focus on the cheapie/freebie certs that give credit towards the degree.  In brief, Pierpont BOG AAS, UMPI BAS MIS minor, along with some cheapie/freebie certs...

My recommendation is this: Start with the $25 ASU class that provides 1 graded RA credit, the cheapies/freebies from Coursera Plus, then Sophia.org for 90+ credits, this is to get you the Pierpont BOG AAS with Info Systems emphasis.  Ladder that up to the UMPI BAS MIS degree, you will need to do 30 residency credits to finish.  

Complete the cheapies/freebies on the WIKI, You shoot for the Pierpont BOG AAS, ladder those to UMPI BAS or BLS, (add the UMPI AALS and forget it as your classes are done when you finish the BAS/BLS). Here are the links to the programs I'm referring to...

Freebies: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
Pierpont: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
UMPI: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

Another slightly different option if you're looking for a Business instead of Info Systems approach: This is a thread for a degree, review the entire thread and click the linked thread on the last post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...e-Pathways

On this particular last post, it illustrates how to get the Pierpont BOG AAS, Bachelors & Grad Cert with ENEB+Sophia.org for under $1K, however, you want to do the Pierpont BOG AAS, and get UMPI BAS/BLS with a couple minors of your choice instead using the same classes.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ill13
> you will need to do 30 residency credits to finish

Does this mean I'll need to physically go to Maine to complete -or will be able to do this online? [The reason I ask is that 10 years ago, it seems that COSC would have required me to go onsite for the 2 capstone requirements]

Also, looks like I need to do a little acronym research on here!

Thank you very much for the concise write up; it's very helpful to have a direct action plan.
(12-28-2023, 03:47 PM)ill13 Wrote: > you will need to do 30 residency credits to finish

Does this mean I'll need to physically go to Maine to complete -or will be able to do this online? [The reason I ask is that 10 years ago, it seems that COSC would have required me to go onsite for the 2 capstone requirements]

Also, looks like I need to do a little acronym research on here!

Thank you very much for the concise write up; it's very helpful to have a direct action plan.

You can do everything online.

Common Terms

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Common_Terms
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
No, residency credits in this case means you take the classes at the institution, these are all online classes, none of these are courses you have to do butt-in-seat in a college setting. Excelsior requires 7 credits, COSC/TESU require 6 credits still, but it's harder to get the credits than doing a competency based degree from UMPI or similar, such as TAMUC or WGU.
Common Terms WIKI: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Common_Terms

Also check into your JST (Joint Service Transcript) to see what credit you can get from your military experience. It might save you a few month worth of school work. My JST for example shows 90+ credits but only about 30 apply to my degree right now. That is a full year of education just from military training.
In Progress: 
Excelsior - BPS Business and Management
Study.com - Business 307, Sociology 305, Psychology 315
ASU - Algebra, PreCalc, Calculus
Luna - Bio2 Lab

Completed: 
Universidad Isabel I - MBA/Master Bus & Corp Comm
Kirkwood - AAS Business Administration, Certificate of Human Resources 3.8 GPA
Excelsior - AAS Applied Technologies Electronics 4.0 GPA
TADA - Google Project Management, Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
CSM Learn
US Navy (Electronics Tech 3rd Class) - NER-ET-004, NV-2202-0165 V02, NV-1715-1788 V01, NV-1715-1796 V01, NV-1715-1585 V01, NV-1715-1336 V02

TECEP: 9 Credits
Man-3730, OPM-3010, Bus-3110

Study.com: 6 Credits
Philosophy 301

Lawshelf: 15 Credits
BUS-201, BUS-301, BUS-302, GOV-202, EMP-301

CLEP: 48 Credits
College Math, Financial Accounting, Principles of Micro & Macroeconomics, Intro Sociology, Intro Psychology, Analyze and Interpreting Literature, Intro Business Law, Principles of Marketing, Biology, US History 1 & 2, Humanities

DSST: 9 Credits
Principles of Public Speaking, Ethics in America, Principles of Supervision
[-] The following 1 user Likes GameSlinger's post:
  • ill13
Since you're older and this is a true case of needing the 'check the box' bachelor, I'd recommend UMPI BLS MIS. Sophia then onto UMPI, it will be the quickest and lowest cost for you. If you later find you need more advanced business on the resume then WGU (MS-ITM or MBA-ITM) or HAU MBA (low cost and it allows you to take your time)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Yes, my recommendation is similar too as I mentioned in my first reply... I suggest getting the degree quickly, once done, you can even ladder that up to the MAOL by taking the 3-4 classes during undergrad for residency into your MAOL. This will leave you with 9 classes for the MAOL and you can finish in two sessions... It can be your 'one and done' solution to get the UMPI undergrad and UMPI grad MAOL degree...

Got a copy of my JST and it looks like a total of 26 credits, mostly medical.

How / where should I look to understand what these credits apply to?
Depending on what the classes come in as, and the degree you're going for, it's most likely going to be placed into the 'electives' area.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ill13

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Path to MSW with no degree and 52! BELEEMA 11 525 04-03-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Thoughts on path to BA for drug/alcohol counselors studyingfortests 10 393 03-30-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Smile Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 5 212 03-29-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Freyo27
Lightbulb Which path should I choose? Lil_Boi 7 453 02-12-2024, 05:21 PM
  Requesting Feedback on Best Degree Path turnitloud 3 370 01-24-2024, 09:48 PM
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 264 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Advice on Degree path Kirpow1010 26 2,220 12-02-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Kirpow1010
  Looking for Quickest and cheapest path to a BS in Business fozzy3o 24 1,855 10-12-2023, 11:01 AM
Last Post: fozzy3o
  Is Computer Science the best path? Please help! MJ75 11 817 10-09-2023, 11:32 AM
  Quickest Path to a Computer Science or Math Degree juiceboxguy42 10 1,478 10-06-2023, 07:27 PM