Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALA at Excelsior
Which Sophia courses will transfer for that BA Liberal Arts degree program? I have read their pdf catalogue and the Sophia site, and its confusing. They want to see “48 Additional Arts/Sciences” so does that not mean the courses like Business, Conflict, Intro to Tech, etc on Soohia? Also, can you overlap credits? For example, you take English on Sophia for the Written English credit, then take Analyzing Lit and College Comp CLEP for “additional arts” and it will count? What if you took biology at a university (20 yrs ago), then also take Sophia Human Biology. Will both count?
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
Arts & Sciences are things like Humanities, Social Sciences, Math, and Science. https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/general...uirements/

Everything else falls under "Applied Professional" credits; things like business, IT/computers, nursing, fire science, police academy, paralegal, etc. It's basically the Free Electives.

No, you cannot "overlap" credits - also known as duplicate credits. So if you take Intro to Sociology at Sophia, and then take the Sociology CLEP exam, only 1 will count.

For your particular example of English, Sophia's English Comp I & II count as the Written English requirement at EC. The A&I Lit CLEP exam is Literature, which counts as a Humanity. And they don't take the College Composition CLEP exam at all.

Biology may or may not be considered the same, depending on how they count it - I personally would not take something that you already have credit for, as it's probably duplicating (but not 100% certain).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Just wondering, are you in NY state or something... Do you have plans at looking into COSC or even TESU, maybe even a competency based program... and is this degree for yourself or for your child... Anyways are you set for the BALA or would you rather get the BSLS. They're practically the same degree but the BSLS allows different depths or concentrations.

Essentially, the BALA at Excelsior requires more additional arts & sciences + has less free electives, the BSLS requires the opposite, lesser additional arts & sciences, etc. So, it depends if you want to have two arts & science depths or 1 arts & science depth and 1 additional applied professional depth. You may want to review the concentrations they have for each degree and see which is more for you.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • hsfamfun
(05-01-2020, 12:26 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Arts & Sciences are things like Humanities, Social Sciences, Math, and Science.  https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/general...uirements/

Everything else falls under "Applied Professional" credits; things like business, IT/computers, nursing, fire science, police academy, paralegal, etc.  It's basically the Free Electives.

No, you cannot "overlap" credits - also known as duplicate credits.  So if you take Intro to Sociology at Sophia, and then take the Sociology CLEP exam, only 1 will count.

For your particular example of English, Sophia's English Comp I & II count as the Written English requirement at EC. The A&I Lit CLEP exam is Literature, which counts as a Humanity.  And they don't take the College Composition CLEP exam at all.

Biology may or may not be considered the same, depending on how they count it - I personally would not take something that you already have credit for, as it's probably duplicating (but not 100% certain).
The College Board website says Excelsior accepts College Comp ? I can’t find their cbe list on their own website. Good to know about A&I Lit exam though. That one us supposed to be worth 6 credits. Sophia says “Human biology” and my bio at the school was just straight Bio 101, so maybe that can count. 

I guess I don't understand their requirements then. If it says “48 additional arts/sciences” where do the elective come in to play?

(05-01-2020, 01:11 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering, are you in NY state or something... Do you have plans at looking into COSC or even TESU, maybe even a competency based program...  and is this degree for yourself or for your child...  Anyways are you set for the BALA or would you rather get the BSLS. They're practically the same degree but the BSLS allows different depths or concentrations.

Essentially, the BALA at Excelsior requires more additional arts & sciences + has less free electives, the BSLS requires the opposite, lesser additional arts & sciences, etc.  So, it depends if you want to have two arts & science depths or 1 arts & science depth and 1 additional applied professional depth.  You may want to review the concentrations they have for each degree and see which is more for you.
No, I am in Texas. I am looking at Excelsior because there is a chance they may accept some of my film degree credits whereas no other college will (I asked TESU and COSC). They are reviewing them now. I don’t really care if its a BS or BA. My goal is a bachelors as quickly and hopefully cheaply as possible. I dont even see on the BALA where they accept free electives. Their website and requirements are pretty confusing.
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
It's easier if you actually use their catalog to see the degree requirements. They used to have those on the website under each degree, and for whatever reason they got rid of something helpful to give you a very unhelpful look at each degree. It's terribly confusing. But the catalog is better.

Schools call things different names. So EC uses Arts & Sciences to mean liberal arts, and then Applied Professional to mean Free Electives.

Look at the BALA and the BSLA there:
The BALA is 90cr Arts & Sciences, 30cr Applied Professional, both depths in the concentration have to be Arts & Sciences
The BSLA is 60cr Arts & Sciences, 60cr Applied Professional, one depth in the concentration has to be Arts & Sciences, the other can be Applied Professional

Yes, EC will probably take your film credits, just not sure what they'll bring them in as. So it's good to get an eval of those. Just remember that your 2 depths each have to have 2 UL courses plus 3 LL courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,646 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,337 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,311 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az