Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS - Advice Needed.
(04-16-2019, 12:29 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 09:36 PM)GAKim72 Wrote: I forgot to mention in my original post that I will qualify for approx $5000 in financial aid/grant.  I did see where it was mentioned that New Mexico Jr College has very low tuition.  I'm curious as to whether or not I should take a couple classes through them to start and use any refunded tuition to pay for my SDC or SL courses, etc..  ???
Why did you make a new account?

What do you mean?  I didn't know that I made a new account...??    I log in from my phone sometimes and from my desktop other times...??

(04-15-2019, 02:34 PM)natshar Wrote: Honestly, for a business degree, WGU might be the quickest and cheapest now. It for sure cheaper than TESU between the two required courses and fees you are looking at a minimum 6k, whereas WGU is less then 4k for 6 months.

Basically, you would earn 90 credits of your degree through alternative methods like test out. Then finish the remaining part at WGU through self-paced online courses, which you would have 6 months to do (or else you will have to pay again).

I'm not real familiar with WGU.  They offer a six month term and you are allowed to complete as many courses as you can during that term?  Do you know what the cost runs per term?  
Thanks for your help!!

I see in your prior post that you mention the cost for a term for WGU...sorry about that.
(04-15-2019, 09:36 PM)GAKim72 Wrote: I forgot to mention in my original post that I will qualify for approx $5000 in financial aid/grant.  I did see where it was mentioned that New Mexico Jr College has very low tuition.  I'm curious as to whether or not I should take a couple classes through them to start and use any refunded tuition to pay for my SDC or SL courses, etc..  ???

This is a very common approach when people have aid, but want to do a Big3 degree. However, if you want to maximize the aid, you'll have to take more than a couple of classes.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • GaKim
GaKim Wrote:
MNomadic Wrote:Why did you make a new account?

What do you mean?  I didn't know that I made a new account...??    I log in from my phone sometimes and from my desktop other times...??

BTW, GaKim/GAKim72, you've got two log ins, one on the phone and one on the computer...

bjcheung77 Wrote:It depends really what your end goal is, I would use the $ towards the required two courses at TESU if you're going with them, or COSC, etc.  You need to pay for the Cornerstone and Capstone courses, each of the two are $1000+.  You can use the aid/grant for paying towards those two courses.  If you must take courses at a community college and use the remainder of the grant on TESU/COSC courses, you should take some courses that are to your interest or easy for you to get a good GPA.

For financial aid, you need to calculate what is better or more cost effective.  Taking courses at the community college or at the University of choice - COSC/TESU, etc.  I still think you would get more bang for the buck taking the final cornerstone/capstone, unless you're using a few community college courses to get aid/grant to pay for one of those two courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Take as many courses as you want in six months and it is about 4k for a sixth month term.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • GaKim
Here is my most updated BALS plan for TESU.  I would say that you're probably better off at COSC, since it's cheaper though.

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU BALS.pdf (Size: 61.98 KB / Downloads: 23)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • GaKim, Oulton1
(04-22-2019, 11:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Here is my most updated BALS plan for TESU.  I would say that you're probably better off at COSC, since it's cheaper though.

Thank you!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,591 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,211 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,045 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Calc based Physics needed Hometeacher628 14 1,364 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Top 10 Things Needed to Help Get You Employed LevelUP 7 769 06-23-2022, 02:24 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,009 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 705 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 791 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 971 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir