Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEWARE if you ever pay a bill by phone
I was just F^*ked by American Express. I was a couple of days late with paying my last bill so I got a call on Sunday morning. He woke me from a sound sleep, I was sick and I had no voice. I told the guy all of this and I just wanted to get off the phone. He kept bothering me until I promised I would take care of the payment on October 1st. Well after work on Oct 1st I called Amex to find out what was the minimum I had to pay and found out they had taken OVER $2900 out of my account overdrawing my account by over $1700. In the meantime my check for my Cobra health insurance was bounced and I had over $100 in fees.

Between friday night and tonight I have been on the phone over 5 hours trying to ge this all straightened out. It is still a mess.

Amex has admitted they might have misunderstood me, but that is not going to help me get my COBRA back if I lose it.

The moral of the story is if you ever pay a bill by phone from your checking account go back afterwards and make sure your account information is removed. Otherwise at any time they can misunderstand you and take money out of your account causing a mess of trouble
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Linda,

I'm so sorry this happened. I would call your COBRA company and explain the problem. If they D/C your policy, which they shouldn't since you should have 30 days of overlap coverage, get a letter from Amex explaining the misunderstanding and that should work for COBRA to reinstitute your policy. I would also make Amex pay any overdraft fees. They are required to do that if the error was there mistake. I will also tell you that your conversation with them should have been recorded, most states require any collection type phone conversations be recorded. I would make them pull the tape and play it with you on the phone so you can hear the conversation and make them fix the problem.

I hope this helps. Since I deal with collections and medical insurance issues I thought I would pass along some info. I know how frustrating this can be, but you have rights and they have legal obligations to you, make them stick to it.

Good Luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
My eyes are literally bleeding all over my keyboard after reading this.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
rickyjo Wrote:My eyes are literally bleeding all over my keyboard after reading this.
Literally? No offense, but I certainly hope so, because I don't understand what it could mean figuratively.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Awe man, my keyboard is all sticky and crunchy now!
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
That really sucks. Dave Ramsey says to *never* give a CC company electronic access to your checking account. It seems that these sorts of "accidents" aren't that accidental since they're fairly commonplace.

You should check Dave Ramsey out: being out of debt is great. His site is at Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com. Or check out The Total Money Makeover. I love the podcast available there.

(I am not now nor have I ever been in any way affiliated with Dave Ramsey--just a big fan. :-))
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
It all looks and sounds great if you have a job and income. We on the other hand don't have those options. My husband was laid off after 30 years with his company, he was given only 2 weeks notice and 6 months severance. At about the same time the job that I had consulted for (Making $500-$1000 a month) went dry because my employer lost his biggest client. I was very frugal during the time we got severance and unemployment and put money in savings, cut back on things and paid off credit cards and our home equity line of credit.
Now 16+ months later, I am making less then 1/3 of what I was making and my husband is getting about 1/4 of what he was making. Unemployment in NJ will probably last another 6-12 months, but we have run out of savings, spent the home equity and run up the credit cards. We have 4 adults in this house 2 on unemployment one on Social Security supplemental income and me working when I can get it as a substitute teacher. All of our income put together doesn't even pay the bills no less buy gas for the cars or food.
We do not own a big house it is just 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom we have been here for 26 years. We are down to 1 reliable car, one old Klunker that needs work and my car which can not be driven because the tires are bald and it needs breaks. In our part of NJ there is no public transportation and the closest store is a 2-3 mile walk uphill both ways(down the hill into the valley and up another hill).
I just have run out of ideas how to keep all the balls in the air if I don't juggle the bills and wait till the last possible moment or I get a phone call.

I have still not gotten the money Amex has promised me back and I still don't know if my COBRA was paid. I am really tired of working all day then spending half the night on the phone trying to get somewhere with Amex or the bank.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Lindagerr Wrote:It all looks and sounds great if you have a job and income. We on the other hand don't have those options. My husband was laid off after 30 years with his company, he was given only 2 weeks notice and 6 months severance. At about the same time the job that I had consulted for (Making $500-$1000 a month) went dry because my employer lost his biggest client. I was very frugal during the time we got severance and unemployment and put money in savings, cut back on things and paid off credit cards and our home equity line of credit.
Now 16+ months later, I am making less then 1/3 of what I was making and my husband is getting about 1/4 of what he was making. Unemployment in NJ will probably last another 6-12 months, but we have run out of savings, spent the home equity and run up the credit cards. We have 4 adults in this house 2 on unemployment one on Social Security supplemental income and me working when I can get it as a substitute teacher. All of our income put together doesn't even pay the bills no less buy gas for the cars or food.
We do not own a big house it is just 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom we have been here for 26 years. We are down to 1 reliable car, one old Klunker that needs work and my car which can not be driven because the tires are bald and it needs breaks. In our part of NJ there is no public transportation and the closest store is a 2-3 mile walk uphill both ways(down the hill into the valley and up another hill).
I just have run out of ideas how to keep all the balls in the air if I don't juggle the bills and wait till the last possible moment or I get a phone call.

I have still not gotten the money Amex has promised me back and I still don't know if my COBRA was paid. I am really tired of working all day then spending half the night on the phone trying to get somewhere with Amex or the bank.

See, I think he could still help. He gets calls from people in similar situations all the time. I'm no expert (at this point, anyway), but I think he would probably say that you should stop paying your credit cards completely (including/especially don't give them access to your checking account), then pay in this order (I think this is the order he gives in this situation): Food, lights, house, anything else. Your credit is going to be trashed anyway, so worry about the credit cards when you actually can do something about them. Until then, survival is most important.

And, of course, work your tails off to get employed at the right level again (which it sounds like you are doing). Until then, do pretty much anything moral and legal to make it (delivering pizzas, while not fun, is almost always an option for those who can drive--I've done it in the past year when I didn't have a job due to one falling through after I quit my other for it).

I don't profess to know everything. I'm just a 28-year-old 'kid' who hasn't ever been in debt or this type of situation. Unemployed before, yes, but very few bills, I have a wonderfully frugal wife, and we're able to make it on virtually nothing--we've never had a high income, so we're used to a very low one at this point. But he's been where you are and worse and made it out again. And your situation sounds very normal for what he helps deal with on a daily basis on his call in show. Listen on Fridays--people call in to scream they're debt free after being hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, without a job, etc. It definitely can work.

I would really recommend checking out The Total Money Makeover at your local library if they've got it. Actually, I'll PM you about it. Just a sec.

And God bless you guys. Sorry to hear about the trouble. I hope you guys can pull through.
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
Linda, I know this is a tough time. I would encourage you to call your credit card companies and explain the situation and ask for a freeze on the interest for say 6 months, so your payments apply more to your balance. Most will be happy to try to work with you rather than have you not pay anything. As for lower monthly payments, but just make sure you pay them on time if they agree, or usually it will revert back if you are late. It would be worth some time to try. I have also known some people who had part of the debt written off by their CC companies. Its a free phone call! I would also encourage you to try to seek out some other local assistance from power companies etc for help with your utility bills. Some faith based and other charity organizations will also help families with assistance, it may only be a one time payment, but it may help a little. I will keep your family in my thoughts so that things will improve. You have worked so hard the last year or so that I know things will come around for you!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I have been able to keep our head above water so far and my husband is doing some side jobs for a little extra cash. My sister got here today for my graduation this weekend so things are much better today. Sometimes I just get overwhelmed
Linda

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. Congress Passes a TikTok Ban Bill Which Sets Americans on Course for Civil War LevelUP 24 1,404 03-23-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Cell Phone Deal - OnePlus Nord 30 - Best Buy $0 plus cost for X days service bjcheung77 6 699 03-06-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Pixel 6 - I am eyeing this phone today! bjcheung77 3 650 11-28-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  HUSH - Phone Number - Lifetime Deal $25 USD bjcheung77 11 3,536 06-01-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Flelm
  Bill & Melinda Gates divorce... bjcheung77 9 1,269 05-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  New Phone - LG 7 One or LG G6 - Which would you choose? bjcheung77 13 2,108 11-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Bill Gates offers all US grads a free book MNomadic 4 1,375 06-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  What in the world is going on with all the Solar phone calls lately??? dfrecore 3 1,211 08-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Post-Retirement IT Job Advice? (BEWARE: Crazy Question) LaterBloomer 12 2,643 08-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  The Phone Interview Prloko 27 3,022 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Last Post: scorched