Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS Data Science at TESU plan
I'm looking at putting together a plan to complete a degree at TESU for Data Science. I know I will need to complete all the AOS units at statistics.com, which is fine. I currently have 63 credits from a community college. By my calculations, if my credits are accepted (and distributed the way I think they'll be) I'll only need 4 classes to complete my general education. So, with that, I have a couple questions.

1. Should I apply now and see how many credits they accept and how they apply them? Is there a way to find out before I apply?
2. Can I apply and then take SL/Study.com/Saylor courses and have them transfer over? Will they accept credit after I'm enrolled?
3. It looks like after my AOS I have 27 units of electives, which is awesome! Do I get to study whatever I want or do some of them HAVE to be upper-level (300)?
I'm always a believer in applying and getting your transfer credits evaluated. All of your UL credit requirements will be in your AOS and capstone. The free electives can be pretty much anything.

You can add alternative credit at any time. No worries about order.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
1) I would apply, just to be sure how things transfer, before doing additional GE/FE classes. Your evaluation will be good for a year.

2) You can transfer credits in after you've enrolled. Also, some AOS can be completed elsewhere - TESU offer R and Python, which work for electives, for example. One thing to consider - the Statistic.com classes don't count toward your TESU residency requirement. So you'll need to plan for that cost, either in TESU classes, or paying the waiver. Read up on the Guardian Scholarship on this board - if you get it, you'll get 6 free classes (18 credits), plus you'll be a member of a TESU affiliate and get a discount on tuition and on the residency waiver fee, whichever way you choose to go.

3) Yay, electives! There's no upper-level requirement for those - have fun! If you want additional coursework in your field, Statistics.com does have other ACE-accredited courses that will transfer. Otherwise, go nuts! (That Study.com scholarship would help with this, eh?)

Good luck!!
tacotruck Wrote:I'm looking at putting together a plan to complete a degree at TESU for Data Science. I know I will need to complete all the AOS units at statistics.com, which is fine. I currently have 63 credits from a community college. By my calculations, if my credits are accepted (and distributed the way I think they'll be) I'll only need 4 classes to complete my general education. So, with that, I have a couple questions.

1. Should I apply now and see how many credits they accept and how they apply them? Is there a way to find out before I apply?
2. Can I apply and then take SL/Study.com/Saylor courses and have them transfer over? Will they accept credit after I'm enrolled?
3. It looks like after my AOS I have 27 units of electives, which is awesome! Do I get to study whatever I want or do some of them HAVE to be upper-level (300)?

1) Definitely apply and get a full eval. They are apparently doing a "preliminary eval" now, and it sucks. I would consider myself practically an expert on TESU (I do degree plans all the time), and I cannot for the life of me figure out what that prelim is all about. It's just impossible to read or plan from.

2) Sounds like you are mixing up WGU with some other schools. WGU is the school that won't let you take outside courses after enrollment.

3) Sounds like you are mixing up EC & COSC with TESU. EC & COSC require more UL credits, and throughout the degree. TESU only requires UL courses inside of your AOS, and has fewer UL requirements than EC/COSC (TESU requires 12-18cr UL in the AOS depending on the degree vs. 30cr UL throughout the degree at COSC/EC).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the advice. I applied and am sending my transcripts right over.

Solarkat, its nice to see someone else here in the Data Science program! I'm going to start reading up on that guardian scholarship now..
One more quick question..Is it possible to double major at TESU? I'm considering Data Science and BSBA General Management since that seems like the easiest one to test out of AND I already have 27 electives in my Data Science Major , maybe I can apply them towards a second degree. On the application I filled out it only lets you list 1 degree...
you can get 2 degrees from TESU, so yes you can.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,617 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,582 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,293 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,283 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,322 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,817 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore