Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS Professional Studies- TESU
I am considering changing to this path since it potentially uses all my credits from prior learning. Is anyone else going this route?
TESU - BSBA-GM

54/120 CR

BM- 15 CR
ALEKS- College Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Trig, Intro to stats
Shmoop- Modern Europen History
Strighterline- English Comp II
CLEP- Analyzing and Interpreting lit- 55 (6cr)
The Institutes- Insurance Ethics (2cr)
Sophia- Developing Effective Teams (1cr)
Study.com- Principles of Management, Information Systems and Computer Applications, Organizational Management, Intro to Computing
cgf Wrote:I am considering changing to this path since it potentially uses all my credits from prior learning. Is anyone else going this route?

There probably are people doing this, but a lot of people choose to go with the BSBA because it's cheaper (especially if you don't have a lot of credits). The BSPS has a capstone that you have to take at TESU, so that adds 3 months and $1500 to your degree.

But, if you already have a lot of credits that wouldn't count in the BSBA (which might offset the cost of taking a lot more courses), and you don't mind doing the capstone, then this may be a good option for you.

When I've compared the BSBA and BSPS, what I've found is that the BSPS is not quite as easy to find courses for. And it only allows for 3cr additional in the Free Electives section. When comparing the BSPS to the BALS, the BSPS is just not as flexible. Also, I personally don't think that a BSPS is a more valuable degree than the BALS, so I'm not certain what the point is, unless you have 15cr of UL in an area that wouldn't work in the BALS, and can make a great concentration and knock the UL requirements out of the way right off the bat.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I appreciate your input! I have 17 credits that will not fit into the BSBA GM plan. I am wondering if it is worth losing those credits to save 1500 and a capstone. While the bsps only allows 3 more free elective credits, I feel that I have taken a lot of courses that would fit into the 5 courses of "specialized career" tract. I could be wrong and I will find that out when they do the evaluation. I do like that I can have a concentration in finance with it (my former career is in the financial field though I am a stay at home mom now) while potentially using most of my prior credits.
TESU - BSBA-GM

54/120 CR

BM- 15 CR
Study.com- Principles of Management, Information Systems and Computer Applications, Organizational Management, Intro to Computing
I am looking into this as an option. I currently have over 40 credits in an area of study (30 from a community college certificate program I completed) and with some of the new ACE TESU UL transfer credits available it may be the most practical option. I personally would prefer to have the words Professional Studies on my resume than Liberal Studies as it implies a more focused area of study – however, with that said my goal is to be able to ‘check’ the box so if TESU does not evaluate favorably on the PS plan I will gladly opt for the LS if it makes better use of my current 80+ credits. I plan to apply and submit my credit for evaluation to TESU sometime next month.

dfrecore did help me come up with a few plan options a while back (thanks again!) and I originally was going to go the BSBA route due to being able to test out of the capstone (making it more affordable, even if “losing” credits I already earned), but with the Strategic Management TECEP currently unavailable to new applicants the cost savings is gone as of this writing. If I’m going to have to pay for a capstone course anyway it only makes for me to utilize the credits I already have, especially if I have affordable UL options that apply to my profession and career path.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I thought the TECEP was still available in the registration system, but not reflected on the site as they determine what "changes" they're making to it
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I don't think you should be afraid to throw 17 credits away when it will save you one capstone and the BSBA is much better for getting jobs than the BSPS and BALS since it's universally known and accepted. Even if the startegic management tecep is no longer available, I'd still choose the BSBA.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I applied last week and got an acceptance yesterday and am able to register for the capstone TECEP right now for the April term. And when I look the course up online the TECEP is showing up even in June. Geez I almost wonder if I should register for this ASAP in case I end up staying with the BSBA after all.

A concern I have with the BSPF is when I go to change my program the form makes it sound like if I want to take the specialized career track that I need an AAS, which I don't have even though I do have 15 credits that I am pretty sure would go in the "office technologies" field. If not having an AAS will disqualify me from taking this path then it would defeat my purpose of going this route.
TESU - BSBA-GM

54/120 CR

BM- 15 CR
If the Strategic Management TECEP is still available after my evaluation, there is a good chance I may go back to the BSBA. I suspect, like many people, I'll have to wait until my application is processed and existing credits evaluated by TESU to be certain which degree I'll graduate with. I would love to be able to travel to NJ and walk for graduation at this year's commencement - a capstone course this late wouldn't make it possible, but a TECEP could.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

allvia Wrote:I personally would prefer to have the words Professional Studies on my resume than Liberal Studies as it implies a more focused area of study – however, with that said my goal is to be able to ‘check’ the box so if TESU does not evaluate favorably on the PS plan I will gladly opt for the LS if it makes better use of my current 80+ credits.

As a former HR person, a BSPS just sounds like a generic degree, but with a slightly different slant to the focus. Like you would have gotten a BALS, but the classes you took weren't Hum/SocSci, so wouldn't fit into that degree. Not necessarily that your focus was a good one, just that it wasn't Hum/SocSci. Not saying that your focus ISN'T a good one, it might turn out to be so.

Like TrailRunr said, a BSBA is universally well-known and accepted, while a BSPS is definitely not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,617 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,024 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,583 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,293 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,284 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,323 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,818 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore