Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS Software Development soon to become Software Engineering
(01-23-2023, 08:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 12:00 PM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Do you guys know how it works transferring a previous bachelors to WGU? It covers the Gen. Ed. requirements right?

Yes, when you are getting a 2nd bachelor's degree at WGU, your Gen Eds are waived - although it's only about 30cr, so not as great of a deal as at other schools.

You might still have a pretty long ways to go with the major, so make sure you take as many courses as you can through Sophia, SDC, etc. to make it easy to complete your degree in a single 6mo term.

The majority of my credits for my Bachelor's from WGU were from alternative credit sources (Sophia and SDC mainly). Would you happen to know if WGU would accept these same transfer credits towards a second Bachelor's during a transcript evaluation? I only glanced at the 2nd degree matriculation page. I think the limit is still 90 credits max for transfer even for a second degree. I would not be perusing a second degree from the same school within WGU. (my Bachelor's is from the school of Business, my second degree there would be from the school of IT). I'm just wondering if the same transfer courses from Sophia or SDC could be used a second time? (assuming the courses match as an allowable transfer) 

Just making sure there is not a policy on 2nd degrees and reusing alternative credit courses. Thanks.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(01-25-2023, 11:29 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Just making sure there is not a policy on 2nd degrees and reusing alternative credit courses. Thanks.

I've never seen anything about credits being rejected, so I assume that all courses in the current partner pages for your degree will transfer:

https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Partners.aspx

However, it should still be free to apply and get your evaluation to be sure.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • AwardTour
Would the lack of Calculus and Discrete Math be any kind of concern? It does seem like other Software Engineering degrees do include them. That said it does make the program more attractive.
I just clicked the link on the first page to the program, seems interesting to say the least. There are two tracks, Java or C#, the courses or domains are different as one is 36 and the other is 38 in length. I don't think the lack of Calculus or Discrete math would be an issue, it really depends on what the student wants to learn, they can take that before or the program if they wanted to have a more math centric versus development/engineering degree. It's great they're focusing on C# and Java, I would like an option on C++ and Python if they do decide to add different tracks, these two seem like viable options as I see demand or growth with these still.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-29-2023, 01:30 AM)breadloaf Wrote: Would the lack of Calculus and Discrete Math be any kind of concern? It does seem like other Software Engineering degrees do include them. That said it does make the program more attractive.

Do you mean from an employer or from a knowledge point of view? In general, employers will likely be oblivious to details like that. They will simply look at the name of the degree, and maybe whether they recognise the name of the school.

However, I think both courses are valuable to a software engineer. Not so much because you will use calculus every day, you probably won't. However, some engineers do and I know I would hate to feel that there were jobs or tasks I was locked out of. I also know that the sheer volume of algebra needed to work calculus solidified my algebra and trig skills. Much the same with discreet math, you can probably get by without it, but having a good knowledge of boolean algebra will make some coding logic easier to write or understand.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • origamishuttle
Here's the Software Engineering Degree Plan

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

Let me know if I missed anything.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
The lack of Calculus and Discrete Math might be a problem if you ever want to continue on to a Master's degree. Most CS-related Master's degrees require one or both of them as prerequisite courses. You can usually just take them elsewhere before applying, but it's something to keep in mind.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • davewill, jch, origamishuttle
I was actually surprised they didn't include any discrete math. When they updated the Network Operations & Security degree to an Engineering degree they added discrete math(3, 1 credit courses) so I figured they'd add those to the Software degree after changing it from Development to Engineering. I agree with Rachel, the only time I see it being a major issue is grad programs that have hard prerequisites, though of course that can be bypassed by taking calc elsewhere. Other than that, the concepts learned in calc/discrete aren't absolutely essential for a standard software engineering career(probably making CRUD applications), but the concepts can still be very valuable in the long run.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-19-2022, 03:56 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Looks like the same courses as Software Development but a sexier name for the degree.

Doing Software Degree vs. Computer Science you:

SKIP Discrete Math I/II, Calculus, Computer Architecture, Data Structures II

ADD User Experience/Interface Design, Mobile app development, Software Quality Assurance, Web Development Applications

The Software degree is slightly better for a career in coding though a Computer Science degree is more flexible and more respected. 

Though an engineering degree is respected at a similar level as Computer Science which is likely why, they made the change so people that took the Software degree route wouldn't feel like they would be discriminated against in the job field.

Oh the name games  Big Grin

Def a sexier name change and I'm glad for it. I have a looooong way to go to get my math skills up to par, but once I do that and finish my current degree, I'm headed to WGU for this degree
Goal 1: University of Maine at Presque Isle | B.A., Business Admin - Marketing (in progress)
Goal 2: Brigham Young University - Pathway Worldwide | Web Development Cert (in progress)
Goal 3: Brigham Young University - Idaho | B.S., Software Development

Completed:
Pierpont Community and Technical College | A.A.S., BoG - Business Emphasis (2023)
Carrington College | Professional Diploma, Graphic Design
WGU - Software Engineering (Java track) Vs Software Development
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uS0_BLloYEEDrZi3hPUZZ57UkYLrMm7DNkDazaJWCBI/edit?usp=sharing

Note: Verify information for yourself as WGU actively updates class transfers on their partners page.

For Sophia, If you haven’t signed up with them yet or are in trial period, I can send a $20 OFF discount code to you directly from Sophia. PM me with your first name and email address to give a referral to Sophia.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 777 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 992 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Is the final capstone course for the IT, software engineering, or CS major hard? whiverem 12 1,825 06-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  New BS in Network Engineering & Security on its way raekwon 12 2,760 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  [Request] College of IT - Bachelor's in Software Development - Unofficial Transcript GunslingerParrot 1 1,138 07-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT akr680 13 3,514 07-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Software Development reylok 8 3,176 04-11-2020, 01:36 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Software Development or CS azt579 1 2,030 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Professional Development Courses? teacher2 3 3,794 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jsd