Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the final capstone course for the IT, software engineering, or CS major hard?
Or is it easy for all these majors?

Can someone with a GED and not much experience writing research papers pass this, after having completed most of the prior classes at Sophia, SDC, and some at WGU? And maybe pass it quickly?

This is the only reason I'm hesitant to try. I've haven't done any courses yet at Sophia, SDC, or at WGU. I don't want to have done all the courses and then be stuck at this one course and can't graduate and it all ends up being a huge waste of time.

I believe I could pass all the other classes for the degree though. For the IT major capstone course I think you have to write 35 pages but I'm not sure. Are you just answering mini questions or responding to small things and that ends up being your paper? Do you have to cite scientific journal articles or can you cite an article from something like tomsguide.com?
(06-04-2023, 01:08 AM)whiverem Wrote: Or is it easy for all these majors?

Can someone with a GED and not much experience writing research papers pass this, after having completed most of the prior classes at Sophia, SDC, and some at WGU? And maybe pass it quickly?

This is the only reason I'm hesitant to try. I've haven't done any courses yet at Sophia, SDC, or at WGU. I don't want to have done all the courses and then be stuck at this one course and can't graduate and it all ends up being a huge waste of time.

I believe I could pass all the other classes for the degree though. For the IT major capstone course I think you have to write 35 pages but I'm not sure. Are you just answering mini questions or responding to small things and that ends up being your paper? Do you have to cite scientific journal articles or can you cite an article from something like tomsguide.com?

I didn't understand the concept of a research paper before I started TESU, but I was able to get through it. Picking a topic you are familiar with helps.

The hardest thing at WGU will be some of the all-or-nothing certification exams, though most of the IT ones aren't too difficult.

The mindset you need to have is that you're going to make it through; it's just a matter of time.

When you face challenges in certain courses, you can:
  • Research the problem on the Internet.
  • See how other people have gotten through the course.
  • Ask peers.
  • Ask your professor.
  • Hire a tutor to guide you through the subject.
The key things to learn in college are consistency, efficiency, and overcoming adversity.

If, god forbid, things don't work out for you at WGU, you can always switch to a different college.

The number one reason why people fail at WGU is that they don't bring in enough transfer credit and are shocked to find that they have a lot of work to do to finish.

I suggest setting yourself a small goal of getting a free Pierpont BOG AAS, which can be done with all Sophia courses. By the time you complete 2-3 courses at Sophia, you'll start to get a feeling of whether you are ready to earn a college degree.

Commit just 10 minutes and start now by taking the first free lesson. Then you can officially consider yourself a college student.
https://www.sophia.org/
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 4 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • allvia, BitWiseGuy, origamishuttle, whiverem
I agree; you need to start somewhere. If you don't start, you're going to be stuck asking questions on these boards forever. At only $99/mo, Sophia is relatively low stakes and is a good place to start.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • whiverem
I'm going to do the Piperpont associate degree soon. Next thing after that for me was the WGU IT major degree, and I wanted to finish that as quickly and easily as possible.
rachel83az Wrote:I agree; you need to start somewhere. If you don't start, you're going to be stuck asking questions on these boards forever. At only $99/mo, Sophia is relatively low stakes and is a good place to start.

*Ding Ding* You have a plan, get one thing done at a time by following through course by course. Have a spreadsheet created and link us to it...

whiverem Wrote:I'm going to do the Piperpont associate degree soon. Next thing after that for me was the WGU IT major degree, and I wanted to finish that as quickly and easily as possible.

Yes, do the Pierpont, it's just 1 ASU course for $25 and the rest are Sophia.org courses. I think the UMPI BLS MIS option would be better... you can ladder that up to the MAOL or WGU Masters after.

It'll look like this, Pierpont BOG AAS, UMPI BLS MIS, WGU Masters of your choice as long as you have the prerequisites completed.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • whiverem
In the end, only you know how good a writer you are. I haven't dealt with WGU, but in the case of TESU, you turn in multiple drafts and get feedback to help you finish the final paper successfully. However, that's not going to make up for a serious lack of writing skills.

The main reason that two English courses are required is to teach you to write research papers. If you're really concerned about learning to do this, especially if you weren't exposed in high school, you may wish to take those courses in a more traditional setting like a community college.

To answer your question about structuring the paper, yes you come up with a main research question, then 3-5 subquestions that will help answer the main question. You research each of your questions, answering them each in turn, and then finally make a conclusion based on all of the research. You will have to cite every single piece of information you use and all quotations. A big part is citing everything correctly. You will be expected to use mostly academic sources, although there may be instances where citing an article on tomsguide.com could be appropriate.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • whiverem
(06-04-2023, 01:08 AM)whiverem Wrote: For the IT major capstone course I think you have to write 35 pages but I'm not sure. Are you just answering mini questions or responding to small things and that ends up being your paper? Do you have to cite scientific journal articles or can you cite an article from something like tomsguide.com?

All WGU papers should be written to the rubric. A good method to do this is to convert each requirement to a heading or subheading and then start filling in each section, then edit/refine until it looks good enough. For the capstone, you choose the topic, but it needs to be approved by the instructor. It's generally best to choose a simpler subject with enough sources available to cite. That way it's easier to write about it, and it's easier to find sources to do the reviews of other work - you need seven. The CI should also provide tips and resources to help guide you, and you will have unlimited attempts, so all in all, the capstone is not too bad.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • whiverem
(06-04-2023, 11:03 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
rachel83az Wrote:I agree; you need to start somewhere. If you don't start, you're going to be stuck asking questions on these boards forever. At only $99/mo, Sophia is relatively low stakes and is a good place to start.

*Ding Ding*  You have a plan, get one thing done at a time by following through course by course.  Have a spreadsheet created and link us to it...

whiverem Wrote:I'm going to do the Piperpont associate degree soon. Next thing after that for me was the WGU IT major degree, and I wanted to finish that as quickly and easily as possible.

Yes, do the Pierpont, it's just 1 ASU course for $25 and the rest are Sophia.org courses.  I think the UMPI BLS MIS option would be better... you can ladder that up to the MAOL or WGU Masters after.  

It'll look like this, Pierpont BOG AAS, UMPI BLS MIS, WGU Masters of your choice as long as you have the prerequisites completed.

I don't know which courses to do at UMPI. Does UMPI use something like Zybooks or Ucertify or Cert Master like WGU by any chance?

For WGU it's pretty clear what to take there according to these pages:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

Edit: I just came across this: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan. For the classes to take at UMPI, like BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing, BUS 345: Database Management Systems, BUS 440: Business Analytics, and UMPI UL Courses, can I learn the material from other websites easily to prepare for these classes, like maybe something like Coursera or something else? I like to learn material for classes where I have to read from easy sources before taking the classes. Is there group work in these classes? Are the quizzes, tests, or exams proctored, or do you have set limited time to do them or do you have as much time as you might want? Can I finish the classes as quickly as I want like at WGU or do I need to wait for the semester to end to do more classes? Thanks for guidance on this, I really appreciate it.
UMPI is almost all papers and projects. Zybooks is programming. UMPI doesn't have a technical Bachelor's degree right now.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-04-2023, 12:32 PM)whiverem Wrote: I don't know which courses to do at UMPI.

Yes, WGU degrees have specific courses and no electives, whereas UMPI has electives and multiples minors/concetrations to complicate things. The courses you take at UMPI are dictated by which degree you choose. There are specific courses required for gen eds and for a minor/concentration, and there are a certain number of UL courses you need to complete at UMPI. Assuming you transfer 90 credits and have less than 10 specific courses left in your degree, you'll need to fill the remaining with UL/LL electives.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is WGU hard ?? Zee28 13 1,802 03-10-2024, 02:05 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capstone Project sam98 4 747 01-20-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 767 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 982 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Where can you take courses from study.com that are not longer accepted for CS major? whiverem 11 1,385 06-13-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  BS Software Development soon to become Software Engineering MNomadic 26 4,561 03-22-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New BS in Network Engineering & Security on its way raekwon 12 2,735 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  [Request] College of IT - Bachelor's in Software Development - Unofficial Transcript GunslingerParrot 1 1,134 07-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT akr680 13 3,512 07-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Double Major natshar 3 5,422 05-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Last Post: natshar