Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS Software Development soon to become Software Engineering
This has been a long awaited and welcome change.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WGUIT/comments/...are_button

Edit: adding a link to the actual program on WGU's site

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/so...ogram.html
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-19-2022, 11:24 AM)MNomadic Wrote: This has been a long awaited and welcome change.

Looks like the same courses as Software Development but a sexier name for the degree.

Doing Software Degree vs. Computer Science you:

SKIP Discrete Math I/II, Calculus, Computer Architecture, Data Structures II

ADD User Experience/Interface Design, Mobile app development, Software Quality Assurance, Web Development Applications

The Software degree is slightly better for a career in coding though a Computer Science degree is more flexible and more respected. 

Though an engineering degree is respected at a similar level as Computer Science which is likely why, they made the change so people that took the Software degree route wouldn't feel like they would be discriminated against in the job field.

Oh the name games  Big Grin
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(12-19-2022, 03:56 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 11:24 AM)MNomadic Wrote: This has been a long awaited and welcome change.

Looks like the same courses as Software Development but a sexier name for the degree.

ADD User Experience/Interface Design, Mobile app development, Software Quality Assurance, Web Development Applications

The Software degree is slightly better for a career in coding though a Computer Science degree is more flexible and more respected. 

Though an engineering degree is respected at a similar level as Computer Science which is likely why, they made the change so people that took the Software degree route wouldn't feel like they would be discriminated against in the job field.

There are a few differences...

SWE adds Intro to Python, swaps a few similar-sounding classes (eg: "Front-End Web Development" for "Web Development Applications" and "IT Leadership Foundations" for "Organizational Behavior and Leadership"), and makes some changes to the Java track. (The link needs to be updated w/ accurate info on the C# track. As it is, it just repeats the Java track info.)
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
[-] The following 2 users Like raekwon's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle
Another notable change is that they removed the CompTIA A+(which comprised 2 classes) which wouldn't make sense for a programmer anyway. That gave them more room to add some extra programming type courses. I believe they are also revamping a bunch of classes like the web dev ones since the former ones were a waste of time.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle
I'm thinking about pursuing this once it's released in the future. I'm about to finish my BA at UMPI within the next month. Do you guys know how it works transferring a previous bachelors to WGU? It covers the Gen. Ed. requirements right?
(12-19-2022, 03:56 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Oops meant the first comment to be a reply to one of you guys  Big Grin

I'm thinking about pursuing this once it's released in the future. I'm about to finish my BA at UMPI within the next month. Do you guys know how it works transferring a previous bachelors to WGU? It covers the Gen. Ed. requirements right?
(01-23-2023, 12:00 PM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Do you guys know how it works transferring a previous bachelors to WGU? It covers the Gen. Ed. requirements right?

Yes, when you are getting a 2nd bachelor's degree at WGU, your Gen Eds are waived - although it's only about 30cr, so not as great of a deal as at other schools.

You might still have a pretty long ways to go with the major, so make sure you take as many courses as you can through Sophia, SDC, etc. to make it easy to complete your degree in a single 6mo term.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • AwardTour, origamishuttle
(01-23-2023, 08:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 12:00 PM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Do you guys know how it works transferring a previous bachelors to WGU? It covers the Gen. Ed. requirements right?

Yes, when you are getting a 2nd bachelor's degree at WGU, your Gen Eds are waived - although it's only about 30cr, so not as great of a deal as at other schools.

You might still have a pretty long ways to go with the major, so make sure you take as many courses as you can through Sophia, SDC, etc. to make it easy to complete your degree in a single 6mo term.

Yeah that was the plan if I pursue it, knock out as many Sophia/SDC courses as I can before enrolling. Do you think TESU would be more generous for transfer toward their CS degree? Im not really sure what their policy for a second bachelors degree is either? I wish UMPI would just come out with some IT degrees already!
(01-24-2023, 01:12 AM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Do you think TESU would be more generous for transfer toward their CS degree? Im not really sure what their policy for a second bachelors degree is either?

TESU waives all gen-eds, including SOS-110, 45 semester hours (SH) total, and electives, 30 SH. That leaves 42 SH for the major and 3 SH capstone.

Sample TESU BA Computer Science Plan - Degree Forum Wiki (miraheze.org)
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(01-24-2023, 01:31 AM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 01:12 AM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Do you think TESU would be more generous for transfer toward their CS degree? Im not really sure what their policy for a second bachelors degree is either?

TESU waives all gen-eds, including SOS-110, 45 semester hours (SH) total, and electives, 30 SH. That leaves 42 SH for the major and 3 SH capstone.

Sample TESU BA Computer Science Plan - Degree Forum Wiki (miraheze.org)

Looks like TESU is way more generous for those who already have a bachelors! So it doesn't matter what degree I have, it'll cover all the gen-eds and electives?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 757 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 973 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Is the final capstone course for the IT, software engineering, or CS major hard? whiverem 12 1,795 06-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  New BS in Network Engineering & Security on its way raekwon 12 2,727 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  [Request] College of IT - Bachelor's in Software Development - Unofficial Transcript GunslingerParrot 1 1,131 07-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT akr680 13 3,506 07-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Software Development reylok 8 3,164 04-11-2020, 01:36 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Software Development or CS azt579 1 2,025 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Professional Development Courses? teacher2 3 3,788 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jsd