Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS Tech Studies Evaluation
My vote is to sign up for Study.com and take Stats & Project Management ASAP. If you also want to do American Govt/Comparative Politics and an Ethics course, you can as well. The nice things about doing them all at Study.com is that the transcript is free to send to TESU.

If you want to go cheap, take American Government as a CLEP exam through Modern States (free), and send the score directly to TESU when you take it (also free). For Ethics, it's free to take the Insurance Ethics course, but about $15 to send the ACE transcript to TESU.

Just to help with terminology - SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy is the CORNERSTONE, and APS-401 Current Trends and Applications is the CAPSTONE. Both are required to be taken at TESU. But, unless you want to pay more for tuition, I'd wait to get the study.com discount to register for those courses.

Last but not least, you're only required to take 1 study.com course to get the discount (I checked with them yesterday), but since you're paying for 2 courses, it makes no sense to only take 1.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Does anyone understand what they require for the other 39 credits?

21 Credits in a discipline.
18 Credits they say in applied science and technology.

I wanted to fill up the 21 credits with Math.
(10-06-2019, 07:08 AM)ivythrowaway Wrote: Does anyone understand what they require for the other 39 credits?

The 21 credit discipline will need to be in only one of the following categories:
A: Health Studies
B. Electrical
C. Architect/Design
D. Aviation
E. Computer
F. Engineering
G. Environmental 
H. Fire Science
I. Nuclear 
J. Automotive 
K. Animal Lab Science

At least 4 of these courses (in addition to the required Project Management and Capstone course) will need to be UL in your focused discipline choice. 

The remaining 18 Credits are elective that can be filled with any combination of the above categories. In some cases, certain computer science related math courses may work for the "computer" category. It really depends on the type of Math course and how TESU evaluates the course.
(10-06-2019, 08:02 AM)shadowgem Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 07:08 AM)ivythrowaway Wrote: Does anyone understand what they require for the other 39 credits?

The 21 credit discipline will need to be in only one of the following categories:
B. Electrical
C. Architect/Design
D. Aviation
E. Computer
F. Engineering
G. Environmental 
H. Fire Science
I. Nuclear 
J. Automotive 
K. Animal Lab Science

At least 4 of these courses (in addition to the required Project Management and Capstone course) will need to be UL in your focused discipline choice. 

The remaining 18 Credits are elective that can be filled with any combination of the above categories. In some cases, certain computer science related math courses may work for the "computer" category. It really depends on the type of Math course and how TESU evaluates the course.

Super helpful. Thank you. I'm going to plead that I can do exactly a version of what you suggested then. Because most of these paired with limited Math in the first place does not seem very "Technical". 

Amazing how DegreeForum seems to answer about TESU more efficiently than actual TESU.
(10-06-2019, 12:47 PM)ivythrowaway Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 08:02 AM)shadowgem Wrote:

B. Electrical
C. Architect/Design
D. Aviation
E. Computer
F. Engineering
G. Environmental 
H. Fire Science
I. Nuclear 
J. Automotive 
K. Animal Lab Science

Super helpful. Thank you. I'm going to plead that I can do exactly a version of what you suggested then. Because most of these paired with limited Math in the first place does not seem very "Technical". 

Amazing how DegreeForum seems to answer about TESU more efficiently than actual TESU.

If you want a degree using as much math as you can at TESU - they offer a BA in Mathematics -
  https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/mathematics

The TESU BS Tech Studies is an applied science and technology degree; so traditional mathematics credits don't really fit in its AOS
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(10-06-2019, 01:44 PM)allvia Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 12:47 PM)ivythrowaway Wrote: Super helpful. Thank you. I'm going to plead that I can do exactly a version of what you suggested then. Because most of these paired with limited Math in the first place does not seem very "Technical". 

If you want a degree using as much math as you can at TESU - they offer a BA in Mathematics -
  https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/mathematics

The TESU BS Tech Studies is an applied science and technology degree; so traditional mathematics credits don't really fit in its AOS

This. 

The BSTS degree is meant to be a good fit for someone who has extensive training in a hands-on field for a skilled trade, that has been or could be transferable to college credit. This is a great degree path for Electricians, Fireman, EMS personnel, Mechanics, Pilots, Vet Techs ect that allows them to formally translate and document the years of education they have acquired vocationally. In general, it would typically encompass applied technologies vs theory. As such, this degree is not easily completed via alternative credit with the exception of Computer Studies. Being able to to bring in 21 credits (at least 12 UL) in only ONE of these specific disciplines would be the main challenge. 

I think this is why many of the disciplines would be similar to the traditional training one would acquire through an apprenticeship or at a trade school of sorts. For example, an airline or private pilot. Typically you would receive your training at a flight school, earning FAA certifications along the way. Those certifications can be translated into college credit and applied to a degree in Technical Studies. 

While some of these industries do have related applied math courses that could potentially fall into the degree plan, it would not be typical. allivia's suggestion of the BA in Mathematics may very well be a much better fit depending on your background and how your credits have been evaluated. It's definitely worth considering if your passion is in Maths.
If I didn't have as many existing college credits as I do (90), I'd probably just go for the BA in Math. The BS in TS offers me to be able to take both Physics classes (which I need) and a fair amount of additional electives that would be filled up in addition to my GenEds.

That just leaves the 39 credits, which I'm hoping to do something of what Shadowgem was suggesting. I want to take more math paired with technical classes.

Believe me, I reviewed pretty much every other TESU degree with the word "Technology" or "Engineering" in it. Their "Data Analytics" degree is the only one that strangely offers the most elective credits but then outsources all the core classes onto Statistics.com. Try finding almost anything outside of such a degree for alternative ACE credit. So, again, leaving me with TS.
(10-04-2019, 10:40 PM)shadowgem Wrote: One last recommendation is to have an official evaluation ran for the BS Technical Studies. The what if tool does not always return completely accurate results for this particular degree plan. That may explain in part why it shows you only need 15SH when it clearly shows you need at least 18SH assuming the rest of the evaluation results returned accurately.

I agree 100% with this statement - this degree requires a hands on evaluation; the what-if is often not valid.  I would email TESU and have them add the degree evaluation (they allow two prior to being enrolled, and as many as you want if you're an enrolled student); they generally add the official evaluation within 2 business days if your credits have already been initially evaluated.  In this case the OPs has many UL credits already that fit, so the official will likely be close to the what-if results.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(10-04-2019, 08:59 PM)natshar Wrote: Sos-110 and aps 410 must be taken at Tesu so that's easy to plan.

The only alternative source of man-345  is study.com

Stats can be done through study.com, aleks, Sophia, and more. Basically any alternative credit provider that has an "intro to stats" course or test.

For ethical leadership I recommend the free ethics course. But due to tesus changes if that doesn't work. There is a dsst test and also any course from study.com with the word "ethics" in the title should work.

Civic engagement you do need do any sort "into to government" type courses. There are many options for this.

You can do up to 5 exams a month from study.com. I'd recommend just doing all of them through study.com. However, if you feel like you already know stats, government and ethics and are near a test center just do a clep or dsst for those. Stats and ethics are dsst and government is a clep. Cleps are free if you use modern states to prep for the exam. So you might want to consider that for American Gov, especially if you have prior knowledge of the subject.

I'd recommend signing up for sos-110 through tesu to start in november and then start on the rest of the courses you need right now or while its going on. Then just take the capstone aps401 and you are good to graduate.

If they let you and are feeling ambitious sign up for both sos-110 and aps-401 to start in November. This shouldn't be too hard as three of your courses (stats,  Gov, and ethics) are freshman level courses you could probably finish quickly if you worked at it.

Looks like there are a lot of moving parts, here, to consider. However, it seems the study.com route, is the preferred option with a slightly higher cost. This seems to me to be the most practical option.

(10-04-2019, 10:13 PM)davewill Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 08:59 PM)natshar Wrote: ...
You can do up to 5 exams a month from study.com. I'd recommend just doing all of them through study.com. However, if you feel like you already know stats, government and ethics and are near a test center just do a clep or dsst for those. Stats and ethics are dsst and government is a clep. Cleps are free if you use modern states to prep for the exam. So you might want to consider that for American Gov, especially if you have prior knowledge of the subject.

I'd recommend signing up for sos-110 through tesu to start in november and then start on the rest of the courses you need right now or while its going on. Then just take the capstone aps401 and you are good to graduate.

If they let you and are feeling ambitious sign up for both sos-110 and aps-401 to start in November. This shouldn't be too hard as three of your courses (stats,  Gov, and ethics) are freshman level courses you could probably finish quickly if you worked at it.

You're going to want to do a couple of courses from study.com just to get their tuition discount. You'll need to complete them before enrolling in the cornerstone and capstone.

At this point, I believe I will complete all of my courses, at study.com and only do the cornerstone and capstone at TESU.
So, here is my plan of completion, for the BS Tech Studies:
1.      I’ve already requested, from Academic Advising at TESU, an updated evaluation for BS Tech Studies, so I can get an official review of the required courses

2.      Below are the courses I plan to take, at Study.com (SDC), in order of completion:
Statistics 101 (SDC) >> STA-201 (TESU) – need to get this completed before 11/30/19 to ensure transfer
POS-110 American Govt (SDC) >> Civic Engagement (TESU) – complete before 11/30/19
Business 311 Project Mgmt (SDC) >> MAN-435 (TESU)
Business 108 Business in Ethics (SDC) >> PHI-285 Ethical Leadership (TESU)
Approximate cost of 2 months’ membership  = $400 including 4 exams

3.      Enroll at TESU and transfer credits from SDC, along with tuition discount

4.      TESU courses will be taken after completion of the Study.com courses, in preparation for a June 2020 graduation:
SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy
APS-401 Current Trends and Applications (CAPSTONE)

Can someone please help me with predicting what the costs would be for the two TESU courses (using the SDC discount), along with the final costs for graduation, at TESU?

Also, when should I register for the two TESU courses – in November or can I do it later? Do I have to register concurrently for SDC and TESU?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 125 4 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Evaluation for Google IT Support MissRN 8 398 04-22-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 647 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  TESU BS Technical Studies Engineering AOS Bryant.tj 7 561 12-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Academic Evaluation & Maximum Transfer Credits bradonomics 19 2,093 09-07-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU academic evaluation hasn't been returned since 1/23/23. Is that enough time? CanICode 10 1,308 08-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: CanICode
  Technical Studies topdog98 11 851 07-22-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Question about my Academic Evaluation AnalysisParalysis 19 2,235 07-15-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Yolan
  Study.com, TESU Evaluation & Residency dbrown2258 33 2,510 04-24-2023, 05:38 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Liberal Studies Degree Plan Help afro_knowledge 24 5,102 12-14-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77