Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSN program
Has anyone gone through the BSN program? I am strongly considering it, but am interested to see what other peoples experiences are. I am wanting to be a lactation consultant that works in the hospital, but unfortunately most places require you to be an RN. So technically the degree would be for show, as I don't really plan on being a practicing nurse.
(09-05-2020, 03:23 PM)amomwholearns Wrote: Has anyone gone through the BSN program? I am strongly considering it, but am interested to see what other peoples experiences are. I am wanting to be a lactation consultant that works in the hospital, but unfortunately most places require you to be an RN. So technically the degree would be for show, as I don't really plan on being a practicing nurse.
I have a friend who did her nursing degree at WGU and she really liked it and recommends it. She's now doing a nursing master's through a different university.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
FYI - Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to get into the program just for show.

Health/Nursing Program Links: https://www.wgu.edu/online-nursing-health-degrees.html

An online BSN degree program for registered nurses (RNs) seeking the added theoretical depth, employability, and respect that a bachelor's degree brings:

Time: 66% of graduates finish within 18 months.
Tuition and Fees: $3,225 per 6-month term, plus one-time Health Professions Student Fee of $350.
Transfers: On average, students transfer 81 credits.

With over 35,000 BSN alumni, this is one of WGU's most popular online degree programs. View our RN to BSN degree guide.

If you don't currently have an RN and don't qualify for your nursing prelicensure program, consider getting our Bachelor's Degree in Health Services Coordination instead. This degree allows you to work inside the healthcare industry in a unique way.

RN to BSN Link: https://www.wgu.edu/online-nursing-healt...ogram.html#

To be considered for this program, you must:
Possess an associate’s degree or diploma in nursing.
Possess a current, unencumbered registered nurse (RN) license in your state of residence.
Submit to a criminal background check through American Databank.

Nursing Prelicensure: https://www.wgu.edu/online-nursing-healt...ogram.html

A one-of-a-kind nursing program that prepares you to be an RN and a baccalaureate-prepared nurse:

Locations: offered in CA, FL, IN, TX, and UT only.
Tuition and fees: $5,925 per 6-month term.

WGU offers the prelicensure program in areas where we have partnerships with healthcare employers to provide practice sites and clinical coaches to help teach you and inspire you on your path to becoming a nurse.

If you don't live in one of our prelicensure states or don't qualify to apply, consider getting our Bachelor's Degree in Health Services Coordination instead. This degree allows you to work inside the healthcare industry, while also working directly with patients who need help.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-05-2020, 03:23 PM)amomwholearns Wrote: Has anyone gone through the BSN program? I am strongly considering it, but am interested to see what other peoples experiences are. I am wanting to be a lactation consultant that works in the hospital, but unfortunately most places require you to be an RN. So technically the degree would be for show, as I don't really plan on being a practicing nurse.

The short answer:
I did my BSN at WGU. It's too rigorous a course of study just to do it for show. 

The short of it is, you really need to research the laws. If you're serious, it's not a waste of money to consult an attorney before you do anything that could get you into a heap of trouble with the law.

The long answer:
Back in the day, you could become a lactation consultant with just a few college credits and certification. But the affordable care act now requires providers to cover breastfeeding support, thus triggering licensing requirements. This basically means that lactation consulting will be diverted to the family doctor pediatrician, Nurse Practitioner,  or a certified registered nurse. 

You need to check your state laws and you need to be business-minded and think about who exactly will be paying for your services, and how. Of course, if you're a labor and delivery nurse, there is a board certification you can obtain after a few thousand hours of clinical experience, but it seems like an awful lot of headache to go through just to become a lactation consultant. There are other professions in natural healthcare that you might want to consider.
(09-11-2020, 09:22 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: <snipped>There are other professions in natural healthcare that you might want to consider.

MSN RN here. I echo all of what indigo said. If you are not at least an RN, you are going to have a really hard (though not absolutely impossible) time finding a lactaction consultant job in a hospital. You may be able to find a job in a clinic or perhaps in a not-for-profit that offers services to the community. If you're really set on becoming a lactaction consultant in a hospital, best bet is to suck it up and get an associate's degree, work a year in L&D, and then get your certification.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 408 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer Science Program is now ABET accredited frankc 18 1,701 10-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSCSIA program changes raekwon 5 1,157 12-29-2022, 04:35 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Does any WGU program give credit for passing any FINRA exams? MaMichelle 1 697 10-25-2022, 06:09 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU Covered by Amazon Career Choice program MNomadic 9 3,131 03-30-2022, 04:55 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  WGU IT Program Changes 9/14/20 GizmoJack 13 3,981 10-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  Which IT Program? bext 1 1,061 10-02-2020, 06:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Taking courses at WGU not part of my degree program? And credit by examination sciencemathematics1 19 7,514 08-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  WGU Post-Baccalaureate Program Peculiar Patty 2 1,376 11-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Peculiar Patty
  What can transfer to WGU Teaching Program??? Idreamofadegree 7 2,520 08-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Idreamofadegree